Home dbx User Forum dbx General Discussion
Options

Gain Structure for Powered Speakers (RCF HDM45 and RCF 8004) and Allen and Heath Zed 10FX

Greetings.

I've been lurking and reading posts on the forum and was hoping to get some clarification on Gain Structure with powered speakers. I'm a DJ running a Rane One -> A&H Zed 10 -> Driverack Venue 360. I've managed to learn how to set the crossovers without a problem.

Mains - HP Slope 24dB LR
Subs - HP Slope 18dB BW, LP Slope 24dB LR

I plan on purchasing the dbx RTA mic to take advantage of the AFS and AEQ.

How do you set the Gain Structure for powered speakers. I've adjusted the Input Clip to +24 dBu to match the Zed10 +21dBu output. Do I also need to change the Output Clip? Do I need to set the limiter although the tops and bottoms have limiters from RCF?

Thanks.

JP

Comments

• Options

@guayo42 said:
    Greetings.

I've been lurking and reading posts on the forum and was hoping to get some clarification on Gain Structure with powered speakers. I'm a DJ running a Rane One -> A&H Zed 10 -> Driverack Venue 360. I've managed to learn how to set the crossovers without a problem.

Mains - HP Slope 24dB LR

How do you set the Gain Structure for powered speakers. I've adjusted the Input Clip to +24 dBu to match the Zed10 +21dBu output. Do I also need to change the Output Clip? Do I need to set the limiter although the tops and bottoms have limiters from RCF?

Thanks.

JP

The RTA Mic is not needed for AFS btw, just autoEQ.

You may need to adjust the output clip yes, but only if you are not reaching the proper clip rating for your speakers.

The limiter on the Venu360 is more of a dynamics control for transient spikes, it is not the same as the limiters on your equipment, I would use those on the RCF to keep your speakers safe yes.

• Options

@HARMAN_EElde said:

@guayo42 said:
    Greetings.

Mains - HP Slope 24dB LR

Thanks.

JP

You may need to adjust the output clip yes, but only if you are not reaching the proper clip rating for your speakers.

The limiter on the Venu360 is more of a dynamics control for transient spikes, it is not the same as the limiters on your equipment, I would use those on the RCF to keep your speakers safe yes.

Thank you for your quick response. I'm a noob for setting a limiter. Any advice on settings?

JP

• Options

@guayo42 said:

@HARMAN_EElde said:

@guayo42 said:
    Greetings.

Mains - HP Slope 24dB LR

Thanks.

JP

Thank you for your quick response. I'm a noob for setting a limiter. Any advice on settings?

JP

I jumped the gun reading to fast. Bypass the limiter on the 360 and just let the powered speaker handle the limiting correct?

Jp

• Options
    HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,367
    edited November 2021

@guayo42 said:

@guayo42 said:

@HARMAN_EElde said:

@guayo42 said:
    Greetings.

Mains - HP Slope 24dB LR

Thanks.

JP

JP

I jumped the gun reading to fast. Bypass the limiter on the 360 and just let the powered speaker handle the limiting correct?

Jp

Yes, as the limiter on the Venu360 is not the same as the limiter on your equipment, it is a limiter more in the sense that like an Audio Production limiter functions, not a limiter that protects gear etc.