Home dbx User Forum dbx Software
Options

PA2 and fir filters

So. I looked inside my PA2 and found a 4th Gen 450mghz Sharc processor (2015 BUILD). Faster than a miniDSP 400mghz processor. Why is there not an option to use fir filters when resources are available. I get the low latency and feature set of PA2 not wanting to slow down the PA2. I use my PA2 for active crossover ( my speakers are custom and don't need eq or any other features of the PA2)
BUT if I want to get into transfer function / PHASE correction at the expense of sub harmonic synthesis or feedback monitoring/Suppression that would be nice to have.
I like my PA2. Don't get me wrong. My system sounds great.
But for conversation sake.
WHY
Missing on the venu also ?

Comments

• Options
    HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,367

@graeboproductions said:
    So. I looked inside my PA2 and found a 4th Gen 450mghz Sharc processor (2015 BUILD). Faster than a miniDSP 400mghz processor. Why is there not an option to use fir filters when resources are available. I get the low latency and feature set of PA2 not wanting to slow down the PA2. I use my PA2 for active crossover ( my speakers are custom and don't need eq or any other features of the PA2)
    BUT if I want to get into transfer function / PHASE correction at the expense of sub harmonic synthesis or feedback monitoring/Suppression that would be nice to have.
    I like my PA2. Don't get me wrong. My system sounds great.
    But for conversation sake.
    WHY
    Missing on the venu also ?

When the DriveRacks were designed/developed the best options of hardware are related to cost and functionality - now if it was something they wanted to introduce as a firmware update or some other option that was requested enough, they would do so but likely there is not enough of a demand. Honestly, in my 7 years here, you're the only one I have seen bring this up lol, but I can always pass the information onto product dev and see what they think.

• Options
    epicureepicure Posts: 5

I think there is a lot of demand for FIR filters. People just don't go through the trouble of requesting them on this website, as they don't see them in the product specs.

• Options
    epicureepicure Posts: 5

The lack of FIR filters is one of the reasons that other suppliers like Thomann with their FIR DSP 408, or Marani are gaining ground in the market. We have a Driverack PA2 and a Venu360. For us it looks like Harman is just milking a successful product. There is little development.

• Options
    HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,367

@epicure said:
    The lack of FIR filters is one of the reasons that other suppliers like Thomann with their FIR DSP 408, or Marani are gaining ground in the market. We have a Driverack PA2 and a Venu360. For us it looks like Harman is just milking a successful product. There is little development.

I'm not sure what the plan is for future firmware or product updates but the DriveRack's pretty much have what they have for now. Reviewing the FIR DSP 408 it looks like it mostly for home audio/theater use. The DriveRack wasn't really developed with that application in mind, was more for DJ setups, small/large music venues and Professional Audio applications. A lot of people found out after the fact you could use the Venu360 for Home Audio and Theater setups.

Of course, we are monitoring market needs and where we can improve our products but definitely always appreciate any feedback.