Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

EQ Changes

rockitboyrockitboy Posts: 10
edited October 2006 in PA General Discussion
Hi Gadget,

I have my Driverack PA set up for my speakers and amps. In playing around with it, I found that I liked the the \"Rock Venue\" preset. I know I can't change the presets, but I was going to copy the EQ settings into my setup. My question is this : I notice that the EQ on \"Rock Venue\" is a basically a smiley face. Wouldn't I be better off to start the low band at 0 db and make the smiley face as a cut rather than as a boost. I realize that I would have to increase the output, but wouldn't I end up with the same sound without the chance of overboosting these bands ?

Thanx,
Don Ullstrom

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sometimes I hate computers...
    I had a long diatribe about the evils of using preset EQ curves, especially the rediculous smile or bowl curve...Suffice it to say any unnecessary GEQ changes are going to affect the clarity and intelegibilityof the sound. But the computer ATE it.. so I will recap only.

1.The bowl curve was popular in the 1960's and 1970's and scoups all the midrange out where the guitars, and vocals are. What good is that?

2. If the system sounds boxy and you have a three way system turn the midrange amp down instead of butchering the sound with a GEQ.

3. If the tops are not separate as in a 2 way mix use the PEQ's and use one band of EQ to accomplish what many GEQ bands would be needed for.

4. Try and get the system response flat before you try ANY altered response curves. See if the flat response with a little eqing for taste doesn't offer far cleaner sound, more accurate sound.

5. yes, some camps would have you believe that ALL boosts are evil, but todays conventional wisdom is that a unity gain is more desireable.. that is to say that if 5 bands are boosted 3 db, that 5 bands must be cut 3 db. This is an over simplification, but you get the idea right? The point is the same voltge in as out..-0- gain, this will then match nicely with the unity gain you should perform then on the rest of the system.

6. For lots of useful tips and proceedures, and knowledge go here:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/forum_sta ... forumid=24
    and
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/forum_sta ... forumid=28

Theres more if you look..

gadget