Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Software Control

USB to serial adapters by brand for Vista

mousemouse Posts: 6
edited November 2016 in Software Control
Ok folks I'm the computer tech support. Since the user has a Vista Home Premium laptop that he wants to use with his Driverack 260. Of course it doesn't have a serial port on the laptop. Do know that I need to find him an adapter that has Vista drivers. What I'm trying to find out is are there some adapters that are known to work well with Vista and the Driverack 260 :oops:

Thanks in advance for any help :P

Comments

• kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hi mouse,

This one is DBX approved and is compatible with Vista (32 bit)...:P

http://keyspan.com:16080/products/usa19hs/homepage.spml

http://keyspan.com:16080/products/usa19hs/homepage.2.reqs.spml

You can also get these at Provantage for $25.94...:D

http://www.provantage.com/keyspan-19hs~7KEYS02H.htm

Kev
  • mousemouse Posts: 6
    Thanks so much must have missed that one :D Did find a number that support Vista just wanted one that had the best chance of working with the Driverack :P
    mouse,

Let us know how it pans out...

Kev
    Thanks I sure will let you know :P
  • . Of course it doesn't have a serial port on the laptop. Do know that I need to find him an adapter that has Vista drivers. What I'm trying to find out is are there some adapters that are known to work well with Vista and the Driverack 260

hi mr mouse i think i get two solutions for your problem
    first if you are looking for a short conection with the 260, the converter mentioned for kpipen will work

second if you are looking for a long conection with the 260 (till 250feet)
    you can use a network conection with the perle`s adapter i probed every weekend all night and this really work the converter is:
    IOLAN DS1 DB9 FROM PERLE
    http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS- ... rver.shtml

men....................... really work :lol: and work perfectly with vista
    i have vista
    Hello marcylab,

Thank you for posting the info!

This is the one I usually recommend for an ENet Serial Server:
    http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digionesp.jsp

For wireless ENet,...just mount this little jewel to your rack: http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digiconnectwisp.jsp

Kev

PS. Sorry about the Vista thing... Most people I know are uninstalling it and reinstalling XP... I know of one company that recently purchased 42 new machines (came with Vista) and 42 XP operating systems...
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey Kevin, can you wrap this all up in a neat little package? Email it to me and I'll put it smack dab in the middle-o-the FAQ section!
    Thanks
    G
    Hi Gary,

I certainly will!... I'll put something together for you this evening...

Kev
  • For wireless ENet,...just mount this little jewel to your rack: http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digiconnectwisp.jsp

mr kpippen

did you work with this and the 260??? please tell me oui
    Hello marcylab,

I have not tried the Digi One Connect Wi-SP but the Digi One Connect SP works beautifully!... It's the very same unit with exception to Wi-Fi so I wouldn't hesitate to say that it works... If you have networking experience it should be a breeze... As you can see the procedure for configuring the SP is quite simple:

The following procedure should get you up and running with the Digi One Connect SP... Make sure you use the cable that came with your DriveRack...

Configuring the Device Server for RealPort
      1. Access the configuration by opening a web browser and entering the IP address 192.168.2.2 in the URL address bar. 2. Log on as the root user (User Name root). The default password is dbps. 3. Click Serial Port > Change Profile 4. Select RealPort and click Apply. Note: No other serial communication settings are required. 5. Load RealPort driver. See \"Installing RealPort on a System Running Microsoft Windows Operating System from the CD.
    Installing RealPort on a System Running Microsoft Windows Operating System from the CD

Use this procedure to install RealPort software.

Note: It is recommended that you check the Digi website for the latest RealPort drivers.
      1. Place the CD in the CD drive. 2. If the CD does not start automatically, click Start > Run and in the run dialog, browse to the root of the CD and then click setup.exe. 3. Click Cancel on the wizard (this will close the Setup wizard). 4. Click Install Optional Software. 5. Click RealPort. 6. Follow the on-screen prompts and use the Microsoft Windows Help for assistance.
    Device Server EIA 232/422/485 Switch Settings

Use the following switch settings.

EIA-232 = 1(Up) 2(Down) 3(Down) 4(Down)

Cheers!

Kev
  • kpippen wrote:
    Hello marcylab,

I have not tried the Digi One Connect Wi-SP but the Digi One Connect SP works beautifully!... It's the very same unit with exception to Wi-Fi so I

hi mr kpippen
    i can`t believe it, you are not work with this device in wireless mode yet??
    marcylab wrote:
    i can`t believe it, you are not work with this device in wireless mode yet??
    I'll make you a deal: You ship me one and I'll gladly document the entire setup procedure (white paper) with screen shots and everything...

I forgot:... Also ship me a DR260 to talk with...:D

Let me know and I'll PM my shipping address...

Kev
  • Let me know and I'll PM my shipping address...

Kev[/quote]

hey mr kev sorry if i hurt you
    i`m just looking for info about 260 wireless thats all
    not to be a bad person
    sorry again
    No need to be sorry... I didn't take offense... Occasionally I get into rare form and like to have fun...:lol:

I wouldn't hesitate buying that unit if you want to go wireless... If you decide to do so I'll gladly help you to get it talking... Do you have any networking or IT experience?

Kev

PS. I take it that you don't want to ship me a DR260?...:(
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but my end user took his time testing it out :oops: The result is one very happy camper he's delighted with it :D Thanks so much again *whisper* not I'm not a guy :P
    Hello mouse,

Which unit did your end user buy?... Is it the Keyspan USA-19HS, the Digi One SP, or the Digi One Connect Wi-SP?...

Kev
    \"Whisper\" were happy to have you aboard mouse.. we don't discriminate against any but the ones that don't want to listen..Although the ranks of the ladies is heavily lopsided against, we have helped some here before.. One was from England...wonder what ever happened to her? :? Anyway, welcome feel free to stay as long as you like.
    Gadget
    Gadget wrote:
    One was from England...wonder what ever happened to her? :?
    Gary,

You must be talking about user/member quaizywabbit... I still see her here from time to time...

Kev
    Yup, that would be her! I wonder why I do not see her.. I guess a ZEN thing right Kev..you see now and ZEN :lol:

Man the new digs are awesome! I set up the sound using the method described in the FAQ section and the \"new indoor method\" with the mic on the ceiling.. with a little tweeking by ear...sounds amazing! the bands just leap off the stage and the soundfield is rich and shimmering! The 7 bands I have done in the last 3 weeks were all blown away! The owner of the place has been having bands for 5 years now and is a tech \"wannabe\" and has never heard anything even close to this, he just can't believe the difference. And the technology...he is in heaven. Like so many others he didn't realize the technology even existed...Imagine what I could do with a Midas board and some Fresh speakers! :shock:

Be well all...
    G
  • hey mr kev
    did you say \"sorry about vista\" because this item wi-sp
    does not work with vista or because the O.S. is bad

i saw drivers vista for this item today ,and i dont know if is new

thanks
    Hello marcylab,

You will want to set it up as a real comm. port (realport)... The link for the realport Vista driver is below:

http://www.digi.com/support/productdetl ... &tp=1&s=63

Cheers!

Kev
    Thanks for the welcome very impressed with level of knowledge and willingness to share information :D

Bought Keyspan made sure to get the Vista drivers from their website and all wnet well :P

Sound equipment is really outside my area while computers are where I specialize buliding and repairing them.

Vista is a very picky operating system compared to earlier operating systems. But all new operating systems come out with problems which is why I'm not an early adopter of operating systems :roll:
    Ya, you can stick vista where the sun don't shine... :twisted: I wish everyone would boycott it :!: :evil:
    G
  • mpampa Posts: 1
    Hi All
    I'm new here but ran into this problem awhile back all that was needed was to right mouse on the exe file on the CD and go to propertys then turn on the windows XP version and run the EXE this worked on my Vista loaded laptop first time with the Radio Shack USB that was praised when I had XP on my last laptop.
    Hope this helps someone I went through alot of @^#% dragging around A full Home PC for A year (thing got heavy after Awhile)
    Ken M
    www.moorepoweraudio.com
    weekend warroir and 260 lover :D
  • zoeykuzoeyku Posts: 3
    Do you have any networking or IT experience?
  • marekmarek Posts: 1
    Is there someone? I just registered and looks like no one here.. :(
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do you have a question?

DRA
  • Thanks @kpippen your link are worked.