Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity
Options

Wiring Diagram for RJ45 to DB9 adapters

DBJunkieDBJunkie Posts: 17
edited November 2008 in Connectivity
Does anybody know where I can find one? I ordered 2 adapters that came dissembled and want to verify that I put the pins in the right places.

I have a Driverack 260.

Thanks!

David

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    From Tom Cram, DBX support:

Below is everything I have concerning these connections, the NUL-MODEM pinout is downloadable in the DR480 manual:

Try products from B&B electronics www.bb-elec.com
    Its a USB to 422 converter at house model# us422tb
    this converts to 422 I chose 422 for its stable bi-directional point to point protocol. this unit is usb port powered.

The stage receiver is a optically isolated 422/485 to 232 converter model# 485ot9l. this unit needs a wall wart power (because its optically isolated) people were very helpful steering me the right way. paperwork between the two devices was a little contradictory but very informative and written well. needs 2 twisted prs to work. has been flawless I think it was $250 + - for the pair

Below is a definition of the cable pinouts and functions for the drive rack.

RS-232 DB-9 Male

1. N.C.
    2. Recieve Data (From PC to 480)
    3. Transmit Data (From 480 to PC)
    4. Pulled Hi
    5. Ground
    6. N.C.
    7. RTS (From 480 to PC) (Optional)
    8. CTS (From PC to 480) (Optional)
    9. N.C.
    Chassis. shield

Note: For a minimum configuration cable, you will need Pins: 2, 3 and 5. The drive rack is concidered a master so to interface to a PC the cable should have pins 2 and 3 crossed.

If you are running long cables It will be helpfull to use a shielded cable. Connect the shield to the chassis of the connector at both ends.

BACKBONE DB9 Female (In and Thru)

1. Tx/Rx +
    2. Tx/Rx -
    3. Signal Termination LED's
    4. Signal Termination LED's
    5. N.C.
    6. N.C.
    7. Ground
    8. Chassis Ground
    9. N.C.

Note: This as a half duplex connection so Both recieve and transmit occur on the same 2 balanced lines (Pins 1 and 2). Pins 3 and 4 are used to control the Termintation LED's on the back panel and have nothing to do with the RS-485 signal.

Backbone RJ-45 (In and Thru)

1. Tx/Rx +
    2. Tx/Rx -
    3. Signal Termination LED's
    4. Signal Termination LED's
    5. N.C.
    6. N.C.
    7. Ground
    8. Chassis Ground

REMOTE CONNECTIONS

480 \"Controller in\" DB9 Female

1. Rx+ (From 480P to 480)
    2. Rx-
    3. Tx+ (From 480 to 480P)
    4. Tx-
    5. N.C.
    6. N.C.
    7. Ground
    8. N.C.
    9. N.C.

480 \"Controller in\" RJ-45

1. N.C.
    2. N.C.
    3. Rx+ (From 480P to 480)
    4. Rx-
    5. Tx+ (From 480 to 480P)
    6. Tx-
    7. N.C.
    8. N.C.

Note: The connection between the 480 and the 480R is a Full Duplex connection. This means that there is a balanced Pair of wires for each direction. Since this is a point to point connection, the terminators are built into the units.

480P to 480R Connections
    480P DB-9 (to 480R)

1. Tx+
    2. Tx-
    3. Rx+
    4. Rx-
    5. Ground
    6. +36V Power
    7. N.C.
    8. +36V Power
    9. Ground

480P DB-9 (to 480R)

1. +36V Power
    2. +36V Power
    3. Tx+
    4. Tx-
    5. Rx+
    6. Rx-
    7. Ground
    8. Ground

Note:The diagram on the bottom of Page 108 in the owners manual refers to a cable with RJ-45 connectors only.

It is strongly recommended that you use the cables provided by dbx for running between the remote and the power supply. tested and are capable of delivering the power with minimal voltage drop and of transmitting the appropriate RS-485 signals with no Data corruption.

Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget, I appreciate it.