Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

1-3 to 2-3 set up

pwfirstpwfirst Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in PA Configuration Wizard
I am new to this forum and have just started using my new Dbx PA.
here is my equipment and set up to date. My audio experience is limited so most abreviations may fly over my head.
Amp: QSC GX5 (left side- subs, Rt side- Tops, amp set to full range)
Mixer: Behrenger: 1222
Both speakers, DIY, are Bill Fitzaurice designed http//billfitzmaurice.net
Tops: custom #2 DR 250 drivers Eminance Deltalite II 2510
Cross over set at LP at 100 - 2000, +6, LR 24
Subs: custom #2 T39 14 in drivers Eminance Legend B 102
set up as HP @ 50 BW18, -3, LP @ 100, BW24
DBX PA
I ran it through the wizard, ended up with a 1-3 setup
EQ the speakers flat (subs and top) inside method.
Wizard inputs tops mono custom
Subs mono custom
Amp. custom
I did the amp and mixer set up on the last 2 pages of the manual.
After reading most of the links and intro I see a recommendation, the set up should be a 2-3 set up. How do I change my 1/3 to a 2/3 set up? Phil

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Do you want a mono or stereo setup?
    Why X3 ?... The way you have it posted you have a 1X2 mono or a 2X3 Stereo setup..
    Tops and subs...
    I also have to ASSUME that you meant 100-20,000 hz? because 100-2000 hz would be a very nasally sounding PA...
    Also, adjacent xovers like the sub to tops should be THE SAME TYPE as in Linkwitz Riley... or Butterworth... NOT as you have it as LR 24 for the tops HPF (high pass filter), and BW 24 for the subs LPF (Low pass filter)...I have no problem with the crpssover point... but the +6 on the tops? Hmmm shouldn't it be +6 on the subs and -0- on the tops since the subs are LEAST efficient...AND we are using the exact same amp for the tops and subs.. so again... with the efficiency of the tops and the IN-efficiency of the subs...

Oh and IF you want to have a 2x3 setup you need to start from scratch... which isn't difficult at all...have you done a gain structure?

Gadget
  • Options
    After I look at it ,a few type O, 100-20000 is correct
    It is a mono set, for no particular reason. This system is used for church and some small coffee shop setting with a rare outside venue, Contemporary christian music mainly accustic venue.
    As I said I am not very experienced in audio sound , I will change to all to LR.
    The cross over points were suggested by the cab designer, I did get the +6 and -3 reversed, Thanks, too much reading and little comprehension.
    I am using only one amp, Lt side for the subs and the rt side for the tops. These cabs are very efficient and max out at 150 watts and yield about 106db at that power according to the cab designer.
    The Tops are insanely load. I have not run the amp over half power. The subs require more power as expected. For the venues I use them at, volume is not the goal.
    I have some old JBL 12in with horns and these new cabs are much louder and much clearer, and run on about 1/2 the power.
    With a single amp two tops and 2 subs what set up do you recommend? Phil
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    106db with 150w input?
    That's only 84db @ 1w/1m. Is that a typo?

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    The website indicates 106 dB average sensitivity.

Dennis
  • Options
    That isn't very efficient. That's extremely efficient :shock: :shock: .
    I thought my Yorkie's at 102 were hot. :cry:

DRA
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    Dra...check them out on their website www.billfitzmaurice.net ...they look a bit odd.

Dennis
  • Options
    Books and covers....
    I would like to hear one.

DRA
  • Options
    No tyoe \"o\" this time. I must admit I was a skeptic when I first started the research to build a system for some small outside venues with limited power. After finding the web site and calling everyone liars I started the build of the DR 250. My build and pictures are in the DR250 and T 39 sections. After cranking them up I WAS A BELIEVER. The volume is excellent and at times painful but the vocal clarity is like nothing you have ever heard. These speakers are very flat just from the design but they improved after the auto EQ with the Dbx.
    We now use no wall of amps like we use to. Every thing goes through the PA.
    The speakers are around 40# each. No 150# cabs to haul around anymore.
    The clarity of the sound is what really sets these boys apart from off the shelf units. Oh did I mention the driver is 10 in. They cost about $200 a peace to build depending on the unit. They do have models with 12 in and 15 in too.
    I expected a lot out of these guys and they have exceed my every wish.
    The DR are the top of the line and a challenge to build all the other models are pretty easy even with light to average skills. Phil
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ya.. it's a totally horn loaded cab... my son was a listed builder for a time.. I have built the Table Tuba and Auto Tuba and they rock! Your earlier settings were fine except for the mixed xover types...

So (I'd drop the HPF to 45 HZ) BW 18, LPF... 100hz LR24 DR HPF LR24 @100hz.

G
  • Options
    Thanks that just what I needed. Phil