Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Connectivity
Options

New to driverack and need connection help

bagotrixbagotrix Posts: 6
edited August 2010 in Connectivity
Equipment: Classic Rock Band Small to meduim 75-200 people usually. We are putting our system together and need advice on the subs for what we currently have. Also, I do not understand the speaker cables required coming from the amps to the psm 15's . they have two speakon connectors and 1 1/4 input. I am confused how the crossover will work and what needs to be hooked up to the speakers, I have all the info for the amps and speakers to set up the crossevers etc, I understand that it is just the connections that throw me.

Yahama mg166c mixer
Samson sx1800 amp
Peavey cs800s Amp
Crown XLS802 Amp
Peavey Monitor amp system with eq-we use off the board
Driverack
Alesis Midiverb 4
Furman Power conditioner
2- Crate PSM 15
2- Subs to be determined any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Which driverack?
    are you confused about how speakons work?
    and do your amps have speakon connectors built in?
    are you interested in building DUI subs or buying ..and if so whats the budget?
    are you wanting information on the connection of the whole thing? or just the mixer>driverack>amps>speakers
    Gadget
  • Options
    I'm sorry I meant driverack PA, Yes my amps have speakon connections, I only need to know how the speakons work sending high and mid signals to the speakers, I understand how to set the crossovers in the drive rack pa but do not understand how the signal path works with the speakons, the psm 15's have 2 speakon connections on them and I did not know if they need to be changed in anyway or the crossover setting in the driverack sends the right signal since the highs would be coming from one amp and the mid coming from another and both connections go to one speaker. Not really a budget number in mind for the subs but would want it to match up to what I have power wise and I would buy them. Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    the psm 15's have 2 speakon connections on them and I did not know if they need to be changed in anyway or the crossover setting in the driverack sends the right signal since the highs would be coming from one amp and the mid coming from another and both connections go to one speaker.

Ok, no... that's not how they work.. the NL4 is set up to be used for bi-amping, but your speakers are not set up to be bi-amped...so they use only 1+ and 1- (or a 2 wire configuration) you can buy NL4 cables with 2 wires or 4. (the 4 wires are quite expensive)

So, in a typical bi-amp speaker using one amp for each speaker, the 1+ and 1- send the info to the LF driver and the 2+2- send the info to the hi frequency driver. There is some people that use NL4's to send out to the subs and then a thru connector sends fullrange info to the tops... in this config, you would need 4 wire NL4 cables to the subs but only 2 wire is needed to the tops...the sub would get 1+1- and the 2+2- would be sent through the thru connector to the tops with 2+2- on the NL4 on the sub and 1+1- on the tops... this requires a dedicated cable and one well marked to avoid getting it mixed up with other cables.

A better way is separate cables to each speaker.. If you are going to use 2 amps to bi-amp you need to set up a jack panel with panel mount NL4's and wires going to the amps binding posts to match the above config...

Best bang for the buck in subs are the Yorkville or Peavey SP series subs. We have provided a link to some DIY subs that are pretty darn impressive...in the FAQ section... BTW if you haven't already the READ ME FIRST section:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959
    has some good setup info
    and the FAQ's:
    viewforum.php?f=60
    has loads of good stuff for Driverack users...

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget Thanks, I dont have to use the biamp configuration then? I was just trying to use the flow chart from the manual for the 2x5 crossover. I read the post about the speakons and understand which is why I suspected I could not use that hookup with those speakers. so to be clear, I can use the speakons in the speakers but need to modify the one that goes to the amp on the hf?
  • Options
    No, you can use the amps speakons and the ones on the speakers.. you just need 2 conductor cables not 4...for the Sampson's only you will only need a 2x2 (or stereo 2 way) and you will need to set an appropriate HPF (like 75hz BW18). that will be the hi outs only

When you add a sub/subs, you'll go 2x4 (or 2x3 for mono subs) and set the appropriate HPF and LPF for the speakers.. the subs will come out of the left low (mono) or left and right low outs.
    Gadget