Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion

DR-260 COM Port assignment

nojoconojoco Posts: 32
Just tried upgrading the firmware of a DR-260 (it's currently at v1.02). Latest firmware is v1.6. There's a null-modem cable between the 260 and a Winblows PC. However, the null-modem cable connects into a USB adapter on the Winblows side.

The connection is good, and I can administer the 260 using a GUI. Here's the issue... when running the upgrade software (I'm using Driveware 2.6.2), the COM ports listed for use in the software are 1-4. Winblows is assigning COM port 5 (or 8 or 9 - depending...) for the serial connection. The "Device Manager" in Winblows is showing COM 3 is being used by "Active Management Technology"; COM 1,2 and 4 do not show up.

Is there a way to get the firmware software to utilize COM ports above 4?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    There is a pull down that allow the assignment of the comport, but I don't have access to driveware on this computer. Don't know how high the options are though.

DRA
  • nojoconojoco Posts: 32
    Thanks Dra,

Yep, it has a pull-down selection, but it only goes up to 4 COM ports. Any ideas on how to get the software to "see" more than 4 ports? Maybe a software "upgrade" request to DBX to support more COM ports...?

If I knew anything about Winblows, I would try to get the serial connection to show up as one of the lower COM ports. I may try to find another Winblows PC to use.
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    nojoco wrote:
    Thanks Dra,

Yep, it has a pull-down selection, but it only goes up to 4 COM ports. Any ideas on how to get the software to "see" more than 4 ports? Maybe a software "upgrade" request to DBX to support more COM ports...?

If I knew anything about Winblows, I would try to get the serial connection to show up as one of the lower COM ports. I may try to find another Winblows PC to use.

When I go into "Preferences" and click on the port menu, I get a Drop down menue that lists COM1 - COM16. Have you checked out all of the USB ports on your computer?
    Thanks Dennis -

The only place where I see COM port listing up to 16 is in the Driveware software; it's the firmware upgrade utility that is only listing COM ports up to 4.
    A solution was found.

Thought I would share with others how I got the Driveware software (Windows) to work in Linux. Basically, I have a Linux desktop running Ubuntu version 10.04 (64bit), with a serial-to-USB converter for the connection between the Driverack 260 and the Linux PC

To setup DriveRack 260 in Linux (ubuntu)

1. Install Wine software on Linux machine
    2. Copy Driveware software onto a Linux partition and extract. (Wine will recognize Driveware is Windows and process it accordingly)
    3. Install Driveware software onto Linux machine.
    4. Connect the Driverack 260 and power on.
    5. Execute “ls -l tty*� in the /dev directory – ensure that ttyUSB0 exists (if it does... proceed)
    6. Run "minicom -s" and select "Serial Port Setup" - from there, change the device listed to "ttyUSB0" and set speed to 38400 - save changes and exit.
    7. Depending on the Linux PC...
    1. remove the /dev/ttyS1 device
    2. create a hard-link from ttyUSB0 to ttyS1
    1. # ln /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS1
    2. verify both devices have same inode number:
    1. #ls -li /dev/tty*
    8. Run Driveware software and select COM port 2 (two)
    9. The Driverack 260 should appear.

Because the linking changes are taking place in /dev, the changes will not be present upon a reboot (/dev is a virtual file system). You will need to re-link the devices upon a reboot.

If anything should not work in these steps, it's assumed you know what you are doing and can correct it; because you are running Linux... you are on your own.
    Sorry about the numbering on the previous post; looks like this forum's text editor doesn't handle tabs too well.
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    nojoco wrote:
    A solution was found.

To setup DriveRack 260 in Linux (ubuntu)

1. Install Wine software on Linux machine
    2. Copy Driveware software onto a Linux partition and extract. (Wine will recognize Driveware is Windows and process it accordingly)
    3. Install Driveware software onto Linux machine.
    4. Connect the Driverack 260 and power on.
    5. Execute “ls -l tty*� in the /dev directory – ensure that ttyUSB0 exists (if it does... proceed)
    6. Run "minicom -s" and select "Serial Port Setup" - from there, change the device listed to "ttyUSB0" and set speed to 38400 - save changes and exit.
    7. Depending on the Linux PC...
    1. remove the /dev/ttyS1 device
    2. create a hard-link from ttyUSB0 to ttyS1
    1. # ln /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS1
    2. verify both devices have same inode number:
    1. #ls -li /dev/tty*
    8. Run Driveware software and select COM port 2 (two)
    9. The Driverack 260 should appear.

Because the linking changes are taking place in /dev, the changes will not be present upon a reboot (/dev is a virtual file system). You will need to re-link the devices upon a reboot.

If anything should not work in these steps, it's assumed you know what you are doing and can correct it; because you are running Linux... you are on your own.

Yikes! :shock:
    Congrats

DRA
  • I'm having the same limitation (ports 1-4 the only options for the Firmware upgrade). I'm running Windows 10 and cannot get any port available lower than 6 for my adaptor. Any suggestions?