Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard

AFS224: all fixed filters set in 2 seconds?

Mario421Mario421 Posts: 5
edited December 2013 in Configuration Wizard
Hi,
Our band recently purchased an AFS224 used as dual mono of our 2 monitors, and connected between 2 DB231 and our monitors (as in application 4 of the user manual but with DB231 in addition).
For our real first test of the equipment, using the basic configuration (12 fixed filters, 12 live, Live filter lift 10 minutes, Type music medium) without the DB231, only a couple fixed filters engaged, and later few live filters.
But since then, trying to repeat the same test, and in 2 gigs, as soon we disengage the bypass, all of the fixed filters engage in 1 or 2 seconds without reaching a third of the volume of the monitors we need.
Thinking to have the AFS224 to work in a less feedback generating environment, we performed a sound check on our monitors with a frequency meter and tuned the DB231 equalizer to avoid the feedback reaching the AFS224, and only after we engaged the DB224: same thing, all fixed filters immediately engage. When we play live, about 3 to 5 live filters become engaged too. Of course after each test/trial, we cleaned the filters.
Is it normal to have all the fixed filters engaged even if the level on our monitors remains low? And/or even if we perform first a manual frequency equalization?
What do we do wrong?
Thanks for any advice/tip

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    How slowly are you raising the volume? You are doing this with a quiet stage, right? No instruments or singing.

DRA
  • Hi, we raised the volume without instruments playing but with the usual rumor of the venue. Concerning how quickly we did it, difficult to juge but I would say rather slowly (we don't know the reaction of our system and are afraid of feed-back, this means we do it cautiously).
    Is it the way to proceed?
    Thanks
    I guess what I am saying is that you only what to "feather" the volume up to capture one feedback at a time. The AFS224 works best when the signal going in is hot. Turn your amps back to about 9 o'clock when doing the captures, then turn them back up when done. Have you done a gain structure on your system?
    Can you tell what mic is causing the most trouble? You are not using compression or effects on any mic channels or on the system, correct?

DRA
  • Hi, Not sure I understand all your remarks/question as I am a beginner. I undestand your recomand to raise the volume very slowly, ok, perhaps I was too quick, good point - to be tried.
    When you mention the signal should be "hot", I presume the input level into the DB224 should be strong; actually, according to the manual, ideally 2 of the 5 signal level bars should lit; we had 1 or 2 signal bars but no more. I then understand you suggest to decrease the levels of our monitors in order to increase the level of the mixing table going into the DB224, so that more signal bars will lit; if so, I understand and it's something basic we did not thought about.
    You talk about a gain structure: if this means setting up the gain of each instrument (one at a time) on the mixing table, yes, this is what we perform carefully.
    We use only 1 mic (for the singer who plays the bass, others instruments are keyboard, 2 electric guitars and electronic drum): a Shure SM58. And correct, no compression/effect.
    Thanks for helping
    What monitors are you using? How are they set up (position)? How do you have the mic positioned (during the AFS test)?

The gain structure to so that all equipment (mixer, EQs, amps, etc) are inputting and outputting the same "level". For example, you never want the amps to clip, so you (without speakers connected) have a input source into a channel on the mixer (typically a pink noise source or a sine wave signal like 1khz for tops and 60hz for subs) then bring up the master volume until the meters indicated a steady -0-. Then you adjust the next piece down line to show the same, and proceed to all pieces, but stop at the amps, for now. Now go back and increase the mixer's output to hit the first Red LED steady. Check if the next piece is clipping. If so, turn the gain on that piece down until it doesn't, and then go to the next piece. Now the amps. Turn them up until the clip light ignites, then turn it down until it doesn't light up (now even a flash).
    The purpose of this is to let you know that when you are bumping the first Red LED on the mixer, that you have no more output to give without clipping the amps. Clipping amps are very bad on speakers and can fry the voice coil. By the way, the knobs on an amp have nothing to do with the output capacity.... only the amount of input required to get them to full output.

You should go to the READ ME FIRST section and read, read, read. Excellent info there for beginners. A lot of it is about the DRIVERACK series, but lots of other great info about sound in general.

DRA
  • Many thanks DRA, based on your remarks/advices we will do some additional tests... and read !
  • HI GUYS I AM A DJ THAT PLAYS IN NIGHT CLUBS WHICH ALREADY HAVE THERE OWN EQUIPMENT ALL I TAKE WITH ME IS MY CD PLAYERS MIXER AND EFFECTS PROCESSOR,MOST TIMES BECAUSE THEY HAVE MONITERS ON STAGE THE FEEDBACK IS TERRIBLE AND MY RANE 62 HAS ONLY HI AND LOW FOR THE MIC THAT DOES NOT HELP,

MY QUESTION IS CAN I RUN THE MIC THROUGH THE AFS UNIT BY IT SELF WITH OUT RUNNING THE MAIN AUDIO OF TRACKS THROUGH IT AND IF SO WHAT MODE WOULD I USE
    SPEECH
    MUSIC MED
    MUSIC HIGH

THIS IS THE SETUP FOR MY MIC
    DBX 286S PRE TO
    LEXICON 400MX TO
    RANE MIXER

I TRIED THE MIC IN THE LINE INSTEAD TO CUT DOWN THE PREAMP ACTION,MAINLY USE THE 286S FOR COMPRESSER AND GATE..

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU :? :?