Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General Configuration Wizard
Options

DRPA+ Mains, subs and sidefills

RustyHammersRustyHammers Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Configuration Wizard
Greetings to everyone.

I am using a DRPA+ with JBL PRX 400's, driven by bridged Crown CE2000 on (2) 18" subs per side and a stereo Xti 4002 into a pair of 425's on top. I intend to use the mid band as a side fill mix. Therefore identical program mix and AFS to the side fills, perhaps a bit different EQ if neccessary. This is for an upcoming outdoor festival.

My question is, when running the auto EQ for the mains, should I simply mute the mids channel or turn down the amps? I don't know how the processor will react to having them off. Or can I set up the system as 2x3, them after EQing the FOH change the configuration back to 2x5 and retain the para EQ's the RTA EQ has set for the lows and highs?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It took me a second to realize that your side fills are for audience, not stage. You mentioned the key thing... that you want to have different EQ for the side fills. Assuming that you want to transfer the data of the Auto-EQ to the PEQs, you'll want to Auto-EQ the side fills as well. Be sure to move the mic for each step. Also, you'll only need to do one stack (mains) make sure that the other stack is not on and one side fill.

You can't just change the I/O config mid or post set-up. It has to be done up front.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    It took me a second to realize that your side fills are for audience, not stage. You mentioned the key thing... that you want to have different EQ for the side fills. Assuming that you want to transfer the data of the Auto-EQ to the PEQs, you'll want to Auto-EQ the side fills as well. Be sure to move the mic for each step. Also, you'll only need to do one stack (mains) make sure that the other stack is not on and one side fill.

You can't just change the I/O config mid or post set-up. It has to be done up front.

DRA

No, actually these will be infills on either side of the stage as additional monitor for the bands (Crown XLS 2000 into JBL SF-25's). I will be running a four channel wedge monitor mix as well, however from experience I know outdoors that's not enough for the musicians to hear the program well. These fills will be the FOH mix, just EQ'd a bit thin for clarity.

I thought the I/O config was an initial step and would rewrite the parameters, thanks for that clarification. Thing is, I have set the system up this way however I'm not sure if I overwrote the para EQ curves when I added the mid band,it seems the crossover points for the lows and highs were retained. System is stored at the moment and may not be set up again till festival day.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the system did all the crossover bands in one step. If there is the option to do the auto-EQing separately then my problem is solved. I just don't want FOH frequencies and sidefill frequencies to interfere with each other at set up. When I tuned the system indoors it appeared that it simply set the crossover points and tuned the para EQ's, I apologize if I'm using the wrong terms, it's my understanding that the auto-EQ is all paragraphic, and the graphic EQ is for shaping the sound as opposed to tuning to a room. On mine the graphic EQ was still flat after full set up.

I have considered also simply writing down all of the crossover and EQ data and inputting it manually, which would work fine yet simply be somewhat time consuming. I could tune 2x3, write down all of my parameters, then manually set up 2x5. If I can avoid this and do it all automatically I would prefer that.

On a side note, I recall when I tuned the system indoors it pink noised each side individually. It appears to tune in stereo, yet I see lots of advice to tune one stack only. Will the system ignore the volume discrepancy of the other stack if I auto-EQ directly in front of one stack?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Ok...
    1) One stack (only) eliminates the second stack from sending common output at different time intervals causing cancelations. For example, the mic should be directly in front of the speaker stack because that is when pattern control is uniform. The mic could be about 20 ft from stack 1, but if stack 2 is 30 ft to one side, then the time differential would be 16ms (give or take). Plus, since we are "flattening the system", time variance should not be introduced. Once the PEQ is then set, based ion the GEQ results), the GEQ is then flatten for use to correct room issues, and the PEQs are never (ever) touched again.

2) If you had the time to set up your system before the event, you would want to set a single side FOH stack up, and right beside it set up a single side fill "stack". The FOH would be (typically) Left / High and Left / Low, and the SF would be Right / Mid (2x5 or 2X6, or bi-amp w/ subs). EQ's will be set to Dual mono (not stereo linked). I can't confirm the term used as I don't have a PA+ (I have PAs and a 260. In the DRPA, it is Dual mono, meaning there are to separate mono EQ's. Select what you did before when it pinked 2 sides separately.
    This allows you to have permanent (& separate) PEQs for FOH and for fills. And have separate GEQs for FOH & fills for dealing with feedback and room problems.

3) The Parametric EQ is for correcting errors in the response of the speaker system, and/or shaping the sound of the system (not the room).
    The graphic EQ is for compensating for the acoustics and resonances of the room, like squashing peaks (feedback).

DRA