Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack VENU360

New DBX Venu360 w/ JBL SRX815P / SRX828PS combo installation

SebastianSebastian Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in DriveRack VENU360
Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice as to what is the best setup option for a new Venu360 with 4 JBL SRX 815p and 2 JBL SRX 828SP coming our way next week.

Here's are the basics:

- Sanctuary is a rectangle box measuring 100 ft long X 50 ft wide.
- Ceiling is 12 ft high.
- There are 712 fabric chairs.

Because of the ceiling height limitations, I will setup 2 815P speakers and 2 828SP subs in the front and 2 815P speakers (with delay) half way to cover the back of the long sanctuary. The goal is to have even sound distribution front and back.

Based on these facts, what is the best way to setup / connect the Venu360?
- If I connect the outputs 1 & 2 to FRONT 815P speakers and outputs 5 & 6 to 828SP subs, should I connect the REAR 815P speakers to the Venu360 output 3 & 4 or should I use the outputs on the front speakers to input REAR speakers?

- Should the rear speakers run in full-range mode or mirror the crossover point of the front speakers?

- Also, vocals on stage use 2 SRX 812P as monitor and musicians use IEMs. Should I run the monitors thru the Venu360?

- Are the JBL SRX 815P and SRX 828SP listed in the Venu360 or do I have to manually set them up?

Any advice / suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Sebastian

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    First, are you going to run the mains in stereo or mono?
    Mono will allow 2 separate monitor mixes though the 360. But, if stereo you are limited to one monitor mix.
    Also, if stereo, will you run the delays also in stereo or mono? And will the subs be stereo or mono?
    You may be seeing that you will need a potential of 7 outputs. To gain back an input, regardless of any other, you should configure the sub to mono.

The powered versions are not in the wizard, but the x-over points are set up for you to copy. You will need to set-up the Wizard with the SRX715 and 728 and write down all the x-over data. Because you will have to change the config of the x-over. When you do that it will all be lost. Then you can re-apply the data.

On the main AP screen, select Configure, then click on the x-over and select the appropriate set-up.
    Scroll to select. Mono (with all it's variations) are at the top. Then Stereo. Then LCR at the bottom. (you don't want that).
    Whether you go with stereo or mono, doesn't matter, but you must select "2-way + mono sub".
    "Mono 2-way + sub" uses 3 outputs. "Stereo 2-way + mono sub" used 5 outputs.
    If you want mono but need additional outputs on the 360 for cable run purposes, select "Mono 2-way X2 + mono sub" used 5 outputs also. As I think on it, 5 outputs (mono or stereo) would save a lot of cable use to get from (especially) delay left to delay right. (Of course, 5 outputs for the mains and delays, rules out 2 monitor mixes in the 360.)

Regarding the possible jump from the front speaker to the mid speaker. Does the dsp on the speaker have delay (and enough delay)? You'll need approx. 1 ms per foot of distance between front and mid.
    Will here, it is recommended that the mid (delay) speaker not be timed to match the front speaker. That draws the ear to the delay speaker. The delay speaker should be slightly delayed in excess so the front speaker is heard just a bit sooner (drawing ears to the front) then the delay speaker augments the sound without drawing attention to itself. It is "psycho-acoustic" manipulation.

Where to filter the delay speaker is a matter of choice. Start at the same x-over point as the front and compare the sound near the rear to the sound maybe 1/3rd back. If the low end is lacking, lower the filter to pass more lows, and re-listen. 60hz or 70hz is as low as I would go in any case.

Hope this helps.

DRA
  • SebastianSebastian Posts: 4
    Hi DRA,

Thanks for taking the time to give me a lengthy response / advice.

I'm was thinking of running the mains and subs in stereo mode but based on your advice it makes sense to run the subs in mono plus the 2 monitor mix.

Regarding the delay between the front and back speakers, the SRX800 series DSP does allow for delay. I will measure the distance between the front and rear and take it from there.

Currently, we are using a driverack 260 for the last 12 years and we are excited about the sound upgrade.

What is your suggestion when running the AutoEQ wizard? Should it be run just with the 2 front speakers/subs connected or with all 4 speakers (front and rear) connected?

Thanks gain for your help.

Sebastian
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Sebastian wrote:
    Hi DRA,

Currently, we are using a driverack 260 for the last 12 years and we are excited about the sound upgrade.

What is your suggestion when running the AutoEQ wizard? Should it be run just with the 2 front speakers/subs connected or with all 4 speakers (front and rear) connected?

Sebastian

I don't have a definitive answer, but I would suggest, if time allows, trying both. And seeing which sounds better in each zone. If time does not allow, just the mains, since you are detecting how the room is responding to sonic excitement anyway. Though, since this is for a permanent set-up, you should have time to play. However, since the AEQ will take a average of the readings, I bet the difference is minimal and/or not noticeable.

DRA
  • SebastianSebastian Posts: 4
    Thank you DRA. I will follow your suggestions.

Regards,

Sebastian