Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Driverack PA Graphic Eq

rnaylorrnaylor Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in PA General Discussion
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but are the Driverack PA graphic EQ's constant Q types. I don't recall it saying so in the manual.
Rob

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes. Variable Q EQs are either rare, vintage, or both. The PEQs are variable Q, but not as a result of gain, just selection.

DRA
  • Can i ask what the Q size is of the standard EQ? What it's equivalent to on the PEQ. I.e 4.3, 1/3rd Octave.
    The graphic eq is the standard 1/3 octive.
  • Thank you.
  • I've been doing some reading and I think it's just clicked. On a graphical EQ, the full +12db boost, at -3db down (+9db) is when it's 1/3rd octave bandwidth. A smaller +6db boost, at -3db down (+3db), the bandwidth is much larger. Which is a shame. I had hoped a +3db boost had the 1/3rd Octave bandwidth at 0db, for more intricate tuning and less overlap with small boosts.

I've used PEQ in a Cubase for years, it's quite easy to see exactly what is going on, especially with a spectrum display. But, I couldn't decide on a graphical EQ, at what boost would the 1/3rd octave bandwidth be. It was really starting to bother me not knowing.

So my next question is... Does the graphical EQ in the Driverack work like a standard one or is it a 'Constant Q', as in, the bandwidth stays 1/3rd octave, at -3db down from the slider position, regardless to the sliders position?

Hope that makes sense, it's been bothering me for days.
    Maybe this will help.
    http://www.rane.com/note101.html

DRA
  • Lol, yes that was exactly what i was reading and why i asked if the Driverack is constant Q or standard graphic equaliser Q.

Thank you again.