Home dbx User Forum dbx General Discussion
Options

Speakers low in volume when connected to venue 360

My powered speakers are very low in volume when connected to the venue 360 but when I run them straight from the mixer they sound louder and fuller. Do I need to do any adjustment settings on the drive rack? I use the soundcraft vi3000 and EV ETX12p tops with ETX 18sp subwoofers.

Best Answer

• Options
    HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,367
    Answer ✓

@aaronnkosi said:
    Do I adjust the input gain or the output gain?

I would start with adjusting your input/output clip levels settings under the utility menu first, then adjust your input and output gain levels

Answers

• Options

@aaronnkosi said:
    My powered speakers are very low in volume when connected to the venue 360 but when I run them straight from the mixer they sound louder and fuller. Do I need to do any adjustment settings on the drive rack? I use the soundcraft vi3000 and EV ETX12p tops with ETX 18sp subwoofers.

Check your clip level in the Utility Menu section of the Venu360 (this has to be done from the front panel, not the Control App). Also you can adjust the gain per output or inputs yes.

• Options

What is the correct level?

• Options

@aaronnkosi said:
    What is the correct level?

Typically when setting your levels for your speakers/amps you will want to be pushing it to where if you have a clip indicator, that the amber is barely flashing. I would talk with your Speaker/Amps manufacturer to understand the headroom and capability of your equipment. I can't just give you a "level" that it should be at.

• Options
    Do I adjust the input gain or the output gain?
  • Options
    aaronnkosiaaronnkosi Posts: 26

I still cant get this right. if for example Im on +14 on input do I set the output also to be +14? how will I know if input and output levels have been set correctly?

I am using the soundcraft vi3000 mixer

• Options

@aaronnkosi said:
    I still cant get this right. if for example Im on +14 on input do I set the output also to be +14? how will I know if input and output levels have been set correctly?

I am using the soundcraft vi3000 mixer

Contact the equipment manufacturers to find out the output clip level of your speakers/amps. You can also contact Soundcraft for the the information for the input clip level headroom.

• Options
    aaronnkosiaaronnkosi Posts: 26
    This is what it’s showing on the soundcraft vi3000 mixer:

Input & output levels Mic inputs = +28dbu Max

Input & output levels Line inputs = +22dbu Max

Input & output levels Line outputs = +22dbu Max

Input & output Nominal operating levels= +4dbu (-18dbfs)
  • Options

The closest input on the drive rack is +20dbu and +24dbu, which one do I select?
    There is output of +22dbu which I guess is the one that needs to be selected

• Options

@aaronnkosi said:

The closest input on the drive rack is +20dbu and +24dbu, which one do I select?
    There is output of +22dbu which I guess is the one that needs to be selected

+20dbu would probably be satisfactory.

• Options

Thank you so much.

Output will depend on the speaker/ amp, Right?