Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX3000 General GNX3000 General Discussion

are you a hater?

Let's see how many people are actually bailing or planning on it.

Comments

• bob77362bob77362 Posts: 22
    I did get rid of mine, but I also liked its sound. I didn't like some of the features, or lack of some. These units are all compromises in some respect. You can't please everyone. For the money is a great tool. I just wanted more flexibility. The GT8 had that, but the sound was just not what I liked. I think the PC based modeling will give me the what I want in features, but it has to sound good too.
  • tantrum2ktantrum2k Posts: 289
    I almost got rid of it but after calming down and gathering my thoughts I changed my mind and i'm glad I did. The 3k is an awesome unit as far as tone and ease of creating patches. I play in stompbox mode and that in itself is a plus... i really don't have the latency problems that i've read, maybe it's my timing. The only prob is the recording, ptp or whatever you want to call it. I don't care what anybody else sais it's just too problematic and a waste of time. Disappearing drivers, usb issues, no sound at playback ect. Lets be realistic dudes, there are a hell of alot of more people posting about problems with PTP than there are praising PTP... what does that tell you? in this case for me...
    2 + 2= 4 (recording feature sucks)
  • BlueLotusBlueLotus Posts: 150
    Well, I voted \"wouldn't trade it for the world\" but of course that's not true. I'd trade it in an instant for all the REAL amps and effects that it's emulating. A $399 GNX3000 for THE WORLD? That's called a steal of a deal. Anyways, since there wasn't a \"It's not perfect but I'm totally satisfied\" option, I had to pick #1. Let's just say that there isn't a gig YET that I've used the GNX3000 and wished that it gave me something more. After every gig using it, I'm all :D
  • BlueLotusBlueLotus Posts: 150
    \bob77362\ wrote:
    I did get rid of mine, but I also liked its sound. I didn't like some of the features, or lack of some. These units are all compromises in some respect. You can't please everyone. For the money is a great tool. I just wanted more flexibility. The GT8 had that, but the sound was just not what I liked. I think the PC based modeling will give me the what I want in features, but it has to sound good too.

The Waves GTR and Amplitube 2 are the best I've heard yet. If those were in an all in one floor unit and sold at a reasonable price, I'd buy one in an INSTANT. NI's Guitar Rig 2's samples don't sound as good as the GTR's and Amplitubes to me but to each their own.
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    I like Amplitube 2 for reamps during mixing, but definitely prefer GNXs for recording.
  • I had to vote \"too difficult to use\" simply because i bought it for recording and can't get Pro Tracks to work. Still i record through the GNX 3K to my Zoom MRS-8 and then transfer to pc and mix through either Cool Edit Pro or Acid. Long way around but i do like the multitude of sounds and effects the GNX produces :)
  • AlbertAAlbertA Posts: 721
    I almost got rid of it but after calming down and gathering my thoughts I changed my mind and i'm glad I did. The 3k is an awesome unit as far as tone and ease of creating patches. I play in stompbox mode and that in itself is a plus... i really don't have the latency problems that i've read, maybe it's my timing. The only prob is the recording, ptp or whatever you want to call it. I don't care what anybody else sais it's just too problematic and a waste of time. Disappearing drivers, usb issues, no sound at playback ect. Lets be realistic dudes, there are a hell of alot of more people posting about problems with PTP than there are praising PTP... what does that tell you? in this case for me...

I use it to record all the time, with Sonar 5 tough... I just need to remember to use the same USB port = Almost hassle free recording, setup less than 10 seconds (plug it in, start Sonar, press record WALA!!!).
  • deandean Posts: 159
    I think your poll is pretty biased towards the negative, so if you don’t like the GNX 3000 , then that’s fine, go buy something else.

But for me , this unit is great, its an all-rounder with plenty of features and power. I went to the local guitar store and tried all the units they had and ended up picking the GNX 3000 because the sound was every thing I wanted, it had the widest variety of effects and simulations and I got the bonus of getting recording software and drums. Also my previous unit (rack mounted boss SE50), had no wah or volume control, so this has really freed up my playing

I’m very happy, I haven’t recorded before and I found it pretty easy. Its so cool being able to do your own backing track and experimenting with different leads. The drums, although fairly basic, add a bit more depth and they keep you in time. Its all pretty simple.

I don’t really want to sound like anyone else or do covers, I’m too impatient to learn other peoples stuff.
    I play for a hobby, and to relax from all the other stuff in my life.

I use a couple of Marshall practise amps at home (stereo) or the head phones which give great sound. When I play live I use a peavey 100 watt, and it works great.

I haven’t really started tweaking the thing yet but I can see that there is plenty of scope in this unit to last me a long time.

Pro tracks plus does have a few quirks, but with the help of this forum, I have managed to get around those problems. I also only use it in stomp box mode, it just suits me. The only thing that I really don’t like is the tuner. It really lets the unit down. The unit sells for about $900 in australia

I world give it a 8.5 out of 10, I’m very satisfied
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    \dean\ wrote:
    I think your poll is pretty biased towards the negative, so if you don’t like the GNX 3000 , then that’s fine, go buy something else.

I world give it a 8.5 out of 10, I’m very satisfied
    Next time, the poll will consist of 100 answer choices, ranging from 0.0 to 10 in 0.1 increments. Just for you man, I'll spare no effort!
  • AlbertAAlbertA Posts: 721
    Notice the first option is winning tough... Altough in a GNX3000 forum, it should ha ha... Unless people are masochists...
  • guitar3456guitar3456 Posts: 3,494
    This is interesting...we ran sound for a bands guitarist using a laptop and Toneport with Amplitube and NI. It worked for bit and then his LT reset. When it rebooted, the OS was gone. Not sure if it was HDD or what but he said it wouldn't go past POST. he had no backup amp. the sound was not that great to begin with.

One of our guys had a GNX3000 and the mighty Powerblock and the night was spared for him. I can't tell you how many of 3000's are bought by musicians that try them out once they hear us using them at soundchecks, shows and initial firing up of rigs.

I could not put myself in a LIVE setting with a laptop. I've seen it done before but so many things can go wrong...and they do! Anyway he liked the unit so much, he bought a GNX3000 and laughed at the GC guys pushing L6 again on him.
  • I almost got rid of it but after calming down and gathering my thoughts I changed my mind and i'm glad I did. The 3k is an awesome unit as far as tone and ease of creating patches. I play in stompbox mode and that in itself is a plus... i really don't have the latency problems that i've read, maybe it's my timing. The only prob is the recording, ptp or whatever you want to call it. I don't care what anybody else sais it's just too problematic and a waste of time. Disappearing drivers, usb issues, no sound at playback ect. Lets be realistic dudes, there are a hell of alot of more people posting about problems with PTP than there are praising PTP... what does that tell you? in this case for me...

Glad you didn't give up tantrum. I think it's a great unit. I've gotten nothing but enjoyment from my GNX3K. I just wish I had more time to play. I must be one of the lucky one as far a PTP goes. I've had no problems with the software and I don't know jack about recording. It amazes me whenever I record anything. I even put myself on my iPod and listen to myself. How sick is that?

Brian