Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX Archive GENERAL Member Pictures and Videos

Favorite Guitar

I know most guitarists have a favorite guitar that just raises their playing level a step beyond anything but i want to know if ive taken that too far. i have a black ibanez rg270dx that was my first guitar. i love this thing, to the point where ive had and aquired several guitars since this one that have all been bought, put on their stand and only had a few songs played on them and then traded in to try to find a better one. i first thought it was because it was my first real guitar (only $120 used at the guitar shop) but ive since spent hours upon hours getting the action to hover an unbelievebly short distance off the fret board without any fret buzz and installed emgs on it. now im about to sell my $450 ibanez rgr421exfm which looks beautiful, sounds great, but the neck is too different from my favorite to play it. i would just use the 270dx but it has a floyd rose and anyone whose ever tuned one knows its a commitment to tune and i play in any tuning from standard to drop c. am i just being too picky or will i really not be happy unless i can find the discontinued guitar and just have 2 of them? also feel free to tell a story bout your baby

Comments

• acolvardacolvard Posts: 37
    I have a simular problem. I own a Epiphone LP Exterme that I bought on clearance from Musician's Friend for about $350 several years ago. I have pruchase two Gibson Les Paul's since in hopes of replacing the guitar. The Gibson's set in the corner becuase the Epiphone is so sweet to play. It is lightning fast and sounds great. One of the gibson sounds really realy good, but it just doesn't feel as good. I have been through about thirty guitars before and after this one, and none of them made me feel the same way. I played on another guitar at a shop that I thought would be an excellent replacement, a Gibson LP studio, I waited a day to think about it and when I went back it had been sold. I have been looking to replacing it becuase it is a green/yellow crakle version and I would prefer a more traditional finish. It might be a mental thing, but I do not know if anything will ever replace it as my main guitar. $350 and I treat it better then my $3000 Gibson. The search continues.
  • Tal RulesTal Rules Posts: 1,215
    We've done this once before, but it's kind of like talking about grand kids.
    Top..Left to right..
    Fender Fr50CE electric Dobro
    Gibson Les Paul..69 badly butchered.
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (Gold Top, 57 reissue)
    Gibson Blues Hawk
    Fender American Standard Tele
    Fender American Standard Strat

dcam5787wq6.jpg

Bottom Left to Right
    Gibson ES175
    Gibson L5
    Ramiriz R4 classsical
    Epi Joe Pass

Favorite is my L5.
    http://www.archtop.com/ac_97L5CES.html

And yeah...They're worth every penny.. :lol:
  • ManitouManitou Posts: 1,387
    My Ibanez JS 1000 Black Pearl is most puss.
    My Ibanez RG 550 XX Reissue Road Flare Red is puss.
    My Epiphone Elisist SG '61 Reissue Cherry is moist.

I still have a lust-filled fever to get a Jackson Soloist Eerie Dess to spank.
  • \acolvard\ wrote:
    I have a simular problem. I own a Epiphone LP Exterme that I bought on clearance from Musician's Friend for about $350 several years ago. I have pruchase two Gibson Les Paul's since in hopes of replacing the guitar. The Gibson's set in the corner becuase the Epiphone is so sweet to play. It is lightning fast and sounds great. One of the gibson sounds really realy good, but it just doesn't feel as good. I have been through about thirty guitars before and after this one, and none of them made me feel the same way. I played on another guitar at a shop that I thought would be an excellent replacement, a Gibson LP studio, I waited a day to think about it and when I went back it had been sold. I have been looking to replacing it becuase it is a green/yellow crakle version and I would prefer a more traditional finish. It might be a mental thing, but I do not know if anything will ever replace it as my main guitar. $350 and I treat it better then my $3000 Gibson. The search continues.

i reached a very obvious solution a while ago that maybe you could concider (unless you need multiple versions of the same guitar like i do for tunings) i say if your gonna spend the money on replacing a guitar, you might as well spend money to get the guitar lookin n soundin great. get it customized, it wont cost as much as you think. also, ive decided that the action is not as important as the neck, do a little research on the specs on your guitar n see what else is offered with them.
  • \Manitou\ wrote:

in my opinion, there just isnt a better guitar for the money than an ibanez, their highest end prestige model new will run you about the same as a low end fender from the usa. plus who can beat the wizard ii neck? no one ive played
  • ACWildACWild Posts: 805
    My favorite 6-string is my Malmsteen Strat. Favorite 7-string is my MusicMan Petrucci. Man, I can't tell you how much I love MusicMan guitars. Being a fan of Blackmore, Gilmour, SRV, Eric Johnson, Malmsteen, Hendrix, etc... Strat's are an obvious choice. :D

YJM1.jpg

JP6.jpg
  • shreddshredd Posts: 5,649
    in my opinion, there just isnt a better guitar for the money than an ibanez, their highest end prestige model new will run you about the same as a low end fender from the usa. plus who can beat the wizard ii neck? no one ive played
    I'm with him...and it's been this way since the 70's, when Ibanez built my favorite honey ('79 Musician MC200NT):
    100_1698.jpg
    AND....I paid less for this than I spent on dinner with a woman that wouldn't even go on a second date with me. :oops:
    (Not really. But at least the git'r was worth the money...)
    Here's a few lick's worth of what she sounds like (sadly, with me playing...):
    http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/patches/GNX4/Ibnz.mp3

Honorable Mention: my Ibanez RG3, which despite being a late-model, low-budget rig, has made my ears and my fingers very happy. I put DiM PAF Pro's in it (both coil-tapped), bone nut to replace the stock plastic cheepie, and did a good setup on it...now it's easily my most tonally versatile git'r, and the neck is just succulent and has 24 frets. It's very light (basswood), and absolutely gorgeous (flame top and headstock, red finish, fully bound in white, pewter h/ware), and is another hard-tail (I've long since lost interest in whammy bars/trem bridges). And I paid less for it than some kids spend on sneakers. :P

I also LOOOOVE my Peavey Grind bass, although ever since I picked up my Cirrus with active pups and parametric preamp onboard...well, the thing just plays like butta.

Still looking for that acoustic/electric that'll be my lifer...but my Dean Exotica is no sad axe.
  • jimiVjimiV Posts: 228
    OK, lemme jump in here;

MIM strat with custom pups, bridge and nut.
    57 hot rod custom reissue strat
    Takamine F350 acoustic
    Telecaster
    (all guitars strung with 11s) bridges have been customized accordingly

Preview of coming attractions:
    (2008 LP custom (the one in the brochure that GC sent everyone and his brother in the mail....did you guys get one?)

Gnx4 with powered monitors 250 watts
    Palamino V32 class A amp
    Line 6 Duoverb 100 watts

Later

JV
  • RawbRawb Posts: 1,459
    Fender Strat and a Fender L lll

pics and details @ home studios lets see 'em Under members pis and vids.
  • \Manitou\ wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • 07 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top Flame Maple w/Dragons & a toggle added plus coil tap

The finest guitar I have ever seen, played or heard, when I look at it I become aroused (but a light breeze also has that effect on me...) :lol:

PRSc24-10top.jpg
  • blueslandbluesland Posts: 177
    The best guitar I've ever played? my '88 Eric Clapton signature Strat, and second, a Taylor T5 Custom Koa, which I'm using more often nowadays, with the plus that I have an acoustic and an electric always at hand, without the need of switching guitars.
    But when I need that extra punch and wonderful full-bodied tone, the EC roars!
    Mmmm...T5 Custom Koa...
    HomerSimpson.gif

8^p~~~

But that PRS 'blooz has is awful tasty too...at least as nice as AC's...
  • ManitouManitou Posts: 1,387
    PRSc24-10top.jpg
    OoooOOOooOOoooo-slobber...
    I'd like to spank her and make her bark like a dog.

[insert inappropriate content here]
    Ouwoo..ouwoo...ouwoo
    \Manitou\ wrote:
    Ouwoo..ouwoo...ouwoo
  • acolvardacolvard Posts: 37
    For me, the guitar Gods must have read this post! I was out of town last week and decided to stop by Guitar Center with my daughter who just started playing guitar. I bought her a nice little Ibenez so she would stop abusing my guitars. The Ibenez was a lower end model but a great price, decent sound, good action equals excellent first guitar.

So while browsing the shop and attempting to play every guitar I could get my hands on, (and wanting to buy most of them) I stumbled upon an Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul GX. I feel in love with the guitar. The neck was amazing although a little different then I am used to playing, and it feels longer (especially when comparing the SG version to a standard Les Paul), the action was great and the Dirty Fingers pickups were sweet. We made out for a while and I decided it was probably just lust, I have been wanting a red PRS for a while and she looked simular. Plus I really like the ebony neck, to me it feels and sounds better. But, I left with out getting into anymore debt.

So a few days later, still seeing fireworks and stars from that first kiss, I decided to check the local shops to see if they had any Prophecys in stock and they did. I played for a while and decided it was more then lust. I tried both the EMG and Dirty Fingers version of the Les Paul and the EMG version of the SG. I left again with out purchasing.

A few days later I took my GNX3 and my headphones to the shop for a 2 hour test fest. It went perfect. I decided i definately wanted GX model with the Dirty Fingers pickups. Since I currently own a couple Les Paul's, I decided I should buy the SG. Since they did not have the SG GX I had to place an order. It should be here in a few days. I can't wait!
    I'd like to update mine. I just got the new 2008 Les Paul Standard Plus and am blown away by it. Considering that I was always a die-hard Strat player, this is really mind-blowing for me. :D
    \ACWild\ wrote:
    I'd like to update mine. I just got the new 2008 Les Paul Standard Plus and am blown away by it. Considering that I was always a die-hard Strat player, this is really mind-blowing for me. :D
    Welcome to a new world order.
    Myself, I'm completely moist over the Lifeson issue ES355. I've always love the ThinLines - I've owned a couple - and this one looks terrific.
    I wouldn't mind owning a CS-356, either... 8^p~~~
    At $3700 each though, I'm restraining myself... :?
    Here ya go Shredd. :D

LP4.jpg

LP1.jpg

LP3.jpg
  • partchpartch Posts: 1,764
    Looks great AC!! I bet that guitar is Hot. I've heard that the neck on those are the best Les Paul neck out there? Very Pretty Top as well! 8)
    \partch\ wrote:
    Looks great AC!! I bet that guitar is Hot. I've heard that the neck on those are the best Les Paul neck out there? Very Pretty Top as well! 8)

Thanks Partch! The neck is extremely comfortable and the plek job takes it over the top. Weight-wise, I'd compare it to my AmDlx Strat, which is a relief for me. I know the Les Paul die-hards like their guitars heavy, but I'm definitely not one of them. :lol: It's just too much fun to play! :D
    \ACWild\ wrote:
    Here ya go Shredd. :D

8^p~~~

So can I babysit your PRS now??? :twisted:
  • RawbRawb Posts: 1,459
    The neck is extremely comfortable and the plek job takes it over the top.

Nice looking LP AC! Looks like a solid plank, virtually seamless! Been a while since I looked at Gibs, is that a dessert burst, root beer, honey? heck I don't know, but I really like it! As time goes by, hope you enjoy playing it, as much as I enjoy her beauty!

Oh ya ... White Lining? Is that just for the lp? I wonder about that, the dirt aspect.
  • Ive played a friends les paul (epiphone) but it did play very nice, seemed natural to play on it. i always thought they were a little too heavy since my jackson dinky was weightless compared to it and that the curve that usually fits your thigh was too small to rest it on me and i was skinny. not a good sit down guitar, great stand up and jam guitar.
    Um, no Shredd, no babysitting for you! :lol:

Thanks Rawb! It's Desert Burst and really hard for me to capture in a picture. The flame is really 3-D. It plays as nice as it looks too. People have commented on the white lining. From what I understand, it's just the new case for the 2008 lineup.

As far as the weight goes, the 2008 Standard is about the same weight as my AmDlx Strat. That's a big plus for me as I'm not into lifting weights. :lol: Just keep in mind that this is a Strat-man raving about a Les Paul.
  • \Manitou\ wrote:

I just want to see Lois getting spanked some more...
  • Okay, my favorite would have to be-beleive or not-my ESP M102.It plays well, stays in tune--even when using the whammy bar.But, I'd have to say there is nothing like my yellow strat copy--I'll send pic later, batteries are down. I had this thing made for $400 in 1982. It has a Strat body with a Kramer neck, a locking tremelo I can't remember the name of, and DiMarzio pick-ups. The thing I like the most about it is the action. The action on this thing is so low, you can hardly slip a piece of paper between the neck and strings. After playing an Acoustic guitar, your fingers seem to glide along so easily.

My other guitar that doesn't see musch time out of its case is my Epiphone Les Paul. Not because I don't like to play it, its because I'm affraid I'm going to scratch it. Its in mint condition.I take off my ring and I make sure all of my change, keys and anything else is out of my pockets.

Hopefully some day I will be able to get Ace Frehleys Les Paul and Eddie Van Halens \"Frankenstein\" Not their personal ones of course, although that would be great.
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    \Manitou\ wrote:

What the hell is wrong with you! rotflmao.gif
  • I bout a Carvin Kit and got the Carvin Holdswoth Humbucker as an option. I wanted to see what would happen if I finished a guitar like a piece of furniture...IE no Lacquer,Polyurethane etc. I sanded,Stained and put Tru-Oil on the body and Tru Oil on the Neck and boy it is my favorite guitar I have ever played.
    I have been playing seriously for 30 years and simply love this guitar more than any other. I have owned many very good guitars a 57 Strat, a 67 SG, a 75 Es-335, a few Ibanez's, a heritage Les-paul and an early Paul reed smith. I wish I still had those,because I sold the collectibles before the Boom in the 90s when I was younger and not as wise.(I now know that one should NEVER get rid of equipment without careful and lengthy thought.)
    I still have not put anything on the headstock and many people think I play a generic piece of junk until they hear the tone.
  • By far, my favorite to play is definitely my Gibson Les Paul Classic. The pickups are perfect for my ideal tones (blues to rock), the neck pickup is perfect of any leads and the bridge pickup can produce one of the best rhythm sounds I've heard. The knobs are easy to roll back when playing blues and the neck is easily playable.
    Although, I did recently fit my american 57' strat with texas specials and it also sounds very good.