Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX Archive GENERAL Member Pictures and Videos

My new Carvin

I finally decided to pull the trigger and get the Carvin 7-string (DC727). Been thinking about it for years now.

Nothing fancy - active/passive electronics, coil splitters, name tag - those are about the only features. Maple neck, ebony fretboard, alder body.

Pardon the crappy pictures - it's either my phone or my web cam. The shadow of an alien that you see is the web cam.

bigpicture.jpg
body.jpg
neckpickup.jpg
whammy.jpg
neck.jpg
fretboard.jpg
neckheel.jpg
headstock.jpg

Comments

• shreddshredd Posts: 5,649
    8^p~~~
  • RawbRawb Posts: 1,459
    Very nice iliace! And you still have Christmas yet to go! 8)
  • gtausgtaus Posts: 2,680
    No fret markers = unplayable for me! Plus, I'd have to take that funny 7th string off the guitar because I don't know what it's used for. I bet they charged you extra for the bothersome 7th string and did not give you a discount for having forgotten to mark the frets properly. Other than those obvious problems, looks great. Congratulations.
  • partchpartch Posts: 1,764
    That's cool Iliace! 8) I like the natuaral wood look on this guitar! Just sweet! Neck thru 8) I bet you'll get some good Low end Chunk from the 7 string. I've always thought Carvins sounded great! I almost got one when I was first getting started to play of Ebay, realy good price BUT the color just did it in for me. Anyhow it would be cool to hear it! Maybe you could post some samples? :D
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    \gtaus\ wrote:
    I bet they charged you extra for the bothersome 7th string and did not give you a discount for having forgotten to mark the frets properly.

Well, I specifically asked them to do those two things :lol:
  • jimiVjimiV Posts: 228
    Looks great. The body looks alot like an Alembic bass I used to own way back when... I have heard about the seven strings but haven't seen them live anywhere. I imagine the 7th string affects chords shapes? And how is the 7th string tuned? would the 7th string be an A? Looks like you started celebrating Christmas early.

JV
    I actually expected it to be ready in about 2 months. Ordered on October 15. Then I got the card date - December 4th. I was thinking they were being optimistic, but turned out not; they notified me of shipment on November 13th. So I get to celebrate my father's birthday and my guitar's birthday together. But initially I was counting on having it around Christmas.

The 7th string is tuned to a B, 4th below the low E. So your power chord shapes are the same for the bottom 3 strings. There are some new chord shapes available, mainly your basic 5 shapes adjusted for the lack of the 3rd between G and B. Scale shapes continue to the B string as with any other strings 4th apart. You can rip through a 3-octave scale, with one position shift per octave, without making a jump on the top string - very cool.

For me, it took a while to get used to (I also have an Ibanez AX7221 from years back). I realized that I rely on the number of the string - meaning, 4th string is D, 3rd string is G, etc - to find where I am. That threw me off for a while when counting from the bottom string. At this point, having been doing it for years, I can switch off between 7-string and 6-string with no problem. It takes 2-3 months to get used to, if you play it all the time.

I don't know the kind of music you're into, but quite a few people use 7-string guitars. John Petrucci from Dream Theater, notably. Also, Steve Vai uses them quite a bit. Some of the newer heavier bands (a la Korn) use them for a heavier sound.

You could, theoretically, tune it to an A, and have an open power chord available. I prefer standard tuning.
  • gtausgtaus Posts: 2,680
    \iliace\ wrote:
    \gtaus\ wrote:
    I bet they charged you extra for the bothersome 7th string and did not give you a discount for having forgotten to mark the frets properly.

Well, I specifically asked them to do those two things :lol:

Yeah, I thought so. I actually ordered a 7 string guitar about a year ago that was on clearance from MF. The order was cancelled as they ran out of guitars before my order was filled. So I almost had a 7 string guitar. Missed it by that \" \" much....
  • 0Dannyboy0Dannyboy Posts: 1,083
    :shock: What a beeutifool guitar.
    I can barley keep up playing, singing, queing backups vocals ,and oh yea dont forget to change rythm patterns on the drum machine...all I need is one more string to push me over the cliff. LOL!
    I guess it takes talent to play one of them thar 7 strings...I'll have to work on that.

Congrats buddy!
  • Ribo68Ribo68 Posts: 22
    Sweet. How do you like it? I have a couple of Carvins. I had an AC275 made and I have a cobalt 980mw. Never played one of their solid bodies though.
    It's good. With the active/passive electronics and coil splitters, there are lots of tonal combinations. Plays great, very nice feel - this is my first ebony fretboard so at times it feels almost too slick! I also like the finish - it's not glossy so your hands don't get stuck to the back of the neck and you can play it without a shirt on. Overall, I'm quite satisfied.
  • phatsackphatsack Posts: 171
    \iliace\ wrote:
    this is my first ebony fretboard so at times it feels almost too slick!

Yep, I loved the ebony fretboard on my Carvin. I had no idea how nice an ebony fretboard would be, until I got that thing.
  • BettyBooBettyBoo Posts: 280
    Very nice guitar Iliace I love that see through finish. :D:D The switching looks like it'll be a versatile bit of kit - plenty of tones I bet and quite clever. Tell us about the wood grain, is that a mahogony body with the maple neck thru body??? I wasn't sure about the wood grain in the photos to be sure it was mahogony.

Overall.... very cool!! 8)
    Body is alder.

As far as tones, extremely versatile. I recorded some samples when I first got it:

http://www.44lbs.net/ilia/DC727/Audio/

In each of these, I'm usually switching between split/humbucker, or phasing switch, eq controls, etc.

Pretty standard clean patch and distort patch (as labeled) on the GNX3000->PTP via USB (no micing, etc).
  • tucopeattucopeat Posts: 139
    Very nice iliace....Have had a bunch of carvin gear over the years..nothing but good things to say about that company. The only piece I still have is a first gen. QuadX tube preamp from 1990 I think. what a sweet piece of kit that is...I'll never part with it.

listened to the samples..sounds great! Congrats on your new acquisition !!!
    \iliace\ wrote:
    Body is alder.

As far as tones, extremely versatile. I recorded some samples when I first got it:

http://www.44lbs.net/ilia/DC727/Audio/

In each of these, I'm usually switching between split/humbucker, or phasing switch, eq controls, etc.

Pretty standard clean patch and distort patch (as labeled) on the GNX3000->PTP via USB (no micing, etc).

It sounds real nice iliace. I was a bit surprised by the tone, I actually thought it would be a bit brighter with that hunk of maple thru the middle... but that could be the recording I suppose. Still, its a great sounding versatile guitar buddy, you'll have years of fun with that!! :D

Will this be your live guitar and what setup will you use with it?
    I'm pretty much using this guitar exclusively now. It can get every tone I want, has the low B string which I use in lieu of tuning down to C or some other ridiculously low note bands do nowadays. It also has the floyd (haven't had that since my Jackson PS-4 broke many years ago). As in one of the samples I demonstrated crazy whammy bar antics that did not at all mess up the tuning, so it's well built and well set up. With the tuning locks, I can also drop down to D without affecting the tuning too much.

For live, I generally run GNX3000 -> Eon, or two if the situation warrants. Very simple setup, and gets the job done. Sometimes I'll just run directly to the house PA. I also use VL-4 sometimes (obviously for vocalist and not myself), and a Vox wah pedal that I got recently. Monster/mogami cables, Dunlop Jazz III picks, Elixir strings (came installed on the guitar, but I think I might switch to these over Fender bullets that I've always used in the past). I think that's about it.
    Strings are a real personal preference I guess. I love Slinky's myself but I've tried the Elixir strings before and didn't get much success out of them, mind you I'm incredibly hard on strings too. My string bill is huge actually, but its getting better as I get older which is odd :? . Might be because I drink less beer maybe lol. Strings usually rust for me but Elixirs just went dead - might as well be using nylons! Anyhow, for the extra cost of Elixirs I just couldn't justify the outlay.

Thats a nice simple set up you use, probably the best way to use a GNX3000 too. I love my 3000 but it sounds dreadful with my Rivera KR7 so I think I'll get an RP500 for live work maybe. Its a sin to spoil a nice sounding amp :wink: Gonna keep my GNX tho as its great at home. Is there much difference between your Vox wah and the GNX wah models??
    Yeah. Actually I lied - I just got a BudWah. From Budda. Not Vox.

And yes, this wah has quite a unique tone. It's not something I can get with the GNX, at least not without a lot of tweaking. The reason I use it, though, is to free up the expression pedal, and not for the tone of the bud wah.
    \iliace\ wrote:

Im so turned on to Carvin guitars now, man! Thanks! I think I'm going to get very soon the blue one (neck through).

I got a question about yours first. The 3 switches behind the tone and volume knobs....what are they for? what do they do :?:
    I paid about $1300 total for it with all the options - pretty good deal for something of such high quality.

There are actually four switches. The one you don't see is the volume knob - it pushes in to enable active electronics, which is one of the options I added.

The three \"visible\" switches are coil splitters (one for neck and one for bridge pickup), which makes whichever pickup into a single-coil; and the third one is a phase inverter for when you're using the two pickups in the middle position - when it's in the inverted position, the sound is more hollow.

There is one tone control and one volume control (I believe there is an option of getting them separately for the two pickups). Since I got active electronics, instead the lower two knobs are bass and treble boost/cut control when active is engaged.

Inside, there is also a boost control for active, to give you up to +6db volume boost when active is engaged.

The other option (slightly more expensive model) is to have a middle single coil pickup - DC747, mine is DC727. Which would probably mean you can't get the coil splitter option - not sure.

Anyway, hope that helps! I've been playing this thing pretty much exclusively for over a year now, in many genres and different live/studio settings, and I absolutely love it - I feel like I'll never need another guitar again.