Home DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX Archive GENERAL General Discussion and Chatter

An addition to my GNX4?

I have a Marshall MG30 combo amp that Im using with my GNX4. Im wondering what a good option would be when it comes to adding an addition...

In other words I want to add a second amp to the GNX4, but what would be a good option to consider?

Another MG30 perhaps? I didnt want to do another combo amp...so what do yall think a good option would be here?

Thanks.

~

Comments

• a power amp and a couple of PA monitors.
  • Tal RulesTal Rules Posts: 1,215
    A really clean amp..You dial in the GNX4, and you don't want the amp to color what you dialed in..Roland Cube60, etcc..Pretty good choice..
  • partchpartch Posts: 1,764
    Crate power blocks work great! Obviously discontinued, BUT can still be found used Ebay etc.. Like phatsack said drive some monitors Or a fairly flat cab. I used to use the block that way, & I had Emminence modeling speakers again discontinued BUT again can be found as well as there are comparable speakers out there.

By the way I had an MG 30 when I first got started 6 years or so ago :shock: WOW time flys when your having fun 8) :D Pretty good little Amp that should work well on the clean channel with the GNX4? Never tried it just going off my past experience there. So basically if your happy with the MG it works good with the 4 in your opinion? Maybee like you said add the second MG & run them stereo 8)
  • guitar3456guitar3456 Posts: 3,494
    Another good choice if you want a semi- traditional setup is to use a simple power amp and pair of 1x12's with speakers like the Eminence Beta 12Lta's.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/290-409s.pdf

Those speakers are coaxial, and have an extended range around 9 khz. Not quite full range but enough to allow use of cab sims for almost any modeler.

After I read about them decided, alright I'll see what gives. I like how they sound. You can even use the drum/mp3's since it has the extended range via coaxial driver built in, but don't expect it to sound like a PA.. like mentioned, this speaker provides more of a half way point and a very musical timbre with the function of traditional amps. I powered this pair with a QSC power amp and dropped an Emin Beta Lta 12\" into a pair of Peavey 1x12 cabs I had lying around. It did take a week or so to break them in. You'll notice more bass extension as they break in. I actually prefer these over their Modeling 12's (discontinued). I'll have to test this with the Crate PowerBlock as well.
  • \phatsack\ wrote:
    a power amp and a couple of PA monitors.
    TRUTH!

That's what I did for my GNX3K. Alesis MultiMix8 mixer > Peavey SP15-NEO powered monitors.

I was concerned that I'd lose some presence and the ability to cut through the other overhead in a live setting. I was very pleasantly surprised to find neither was the case. This live rig kicks the living poo outta my old MP1 >> Quadraverb >> Marshall 9200 >> 1960's setup. Helluva lot lighter too. :D

Even one of the small Fender self contained ultra portable PA's would be a great option for clean reproduction, which is what amp modeling really needs to sound like it's intended. Combo amps and the speakers used in most tend color the tone too much, which defeats the purpose. At that point you have something like a \"Fender Twin\" model played through a Marshall 2x12 combo, say an 8280, so it no longer sounds like a true Fender Twin.

PA's are the way to go for modeling units.
  • gtausgtaus Posts: 2,680
    When I got my GNX4, I soon discovered that the best sound I could get from my GNX4 was playing through full range speakers, which for me was straight into the PA system. My guitar amp is used mainly as a stage monitor. I use the SPLIT1 mode of the GNX4 which sends my main signal out the XLR outputs to the mixing board for the FOH speakers (full range) and the 1/4\" output goes to my stage amp which I use as a monitor. Instead of upgrading your guitar amp, IMHO, you will be better off putting money into a good PA system and FOH speakers where you can maximize the effects of your GNX4.
  • Ok well thanks a lot for the feedback I may just go with a PA.

However, the sole reason I was considering 2 combo amps was because Im a Marshall fanatic. :D

I love Marshall tone...

So my question is: How does a PA system compare to say a setup of 2 Marshall combo amps when it comes to tone? I don't want to sacrifice quality, ya know....?

For a PA, I was thinking of getting a Kustom KPA100. Its a PA package deal. Pretty low price. I don't want to \"bet the farm\" on a PA, as this would be my first.

I have always used combo amps...Anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot. 8)
    So ya like the Marshall Tone great! You can model That tone. 1 of my favorite Patches was a JCM800 model from the MFX Supermodels CD. Serious though if you have the GNX4 Set up properly & you have the right patches pretty much anything can be modelled & sound good enough! Especially MG30 good enough Not to nock that good little marshall amp or nothin :D
  • If the most realistic tone you can achieve is your goal, then you definitely want to run your GNX through a system that won't taint or color the modeling done by the unit itself. A PA will provide that uncolored, unadulterated reproduction for you.

Again, if you run a GNX unit through a combo you're artificially coloring the tone, so you have what essentially amounts to a \"JCM800 run through a JCM800\". It won't sound right.

However, the GNX set to \"JCM800\" run through a system that adds nearly zero coloration will sound more like the intended system. Running it this way gives you far more options than running it through a combo, or any other sort of amplification that adds tonal qualities to the audible sound being produced.

Took me a while to get past that too (being a Marshall 9200 + 1960's fanatic), but it's true. Once you hear a GNX unit straight through a PA system you'll understand. Don't get caught up in the \"I'm a Marshall kinda guy\" stuff. If you're wanting the get the best performance out of your GNX unit, run it through a PA.
    Well, I guess I'm a Fender kind of guy. I have a vintage Fender Twin Reverb that my brother-in-law says I could sell for about $2000.00 if I wanted to sell it. He is a Marshall type of guy and has two 4X12 stacks. Since I got my GNX4, I play straight into the PA with full range speakers and mainly use the Fender Twin Reverb preset. To me, the GNX4 preset sounds like my original amp. I mean, I am not the greatest ear, but it sounds just like my original amp as far as I am concerned. With a preset change, I can play my brother-in-law's Marshall stack and sound just like him.

I'm not saying that my PA system speakers have the stage appeal of a Marshall stack or my vintage Twin Reverb, but as far as I am concerned, the sound with the GNX4 is every bit as good as our original amps. IMHO, there are just so many advantages of breaking out of the idea of spending all our hard earned money on guitar amps when a good PA system with the GNX4 provides so much more flexibility.
    Before you go with that KUSTOM,

Want to one up that KPA rig:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-740-Plus-S715-PA-Package?sku=630489 Plus comes with free speaker stands!

This one is stereo mains or mono main/mono monitors. Has digital efx, comes with cables (cheap but workable) decent 15\" drivers in the cabs to enhance the bass much better than those Kustom 10's. For a few bucks more, you'll have a better system and far better resale value if you had to go that route.

For powered speakers in that price range-

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tapco-TH15A-Thump-15-Powered-Speaker?sku=600299

Another option are Tech 21 power engines.

Or, check out craigslist for used gear.

Friend of mine just picked up a pair of powered Mackies for $350. A rig like that would support all your live and stereo functions. The KPA100 will work, it's just not a system I'd recommend. If you need to, save up for something like the Phonic PA stereo rig, powered speakers like the Tapco, or even the Behringer B212A/ B215A's. Those Tapco powered speakers I see fairly common. Passive systems with a simple power amp will also be 100x better than the KPA rig.
  • I'm usually a fan of Behringer products, but in this case I wasn't impressed with their powered 412's. I gave them a try at first, but they sounded a bit thin, and were also pretty noisy (lots of hiss at volume).

I took them back and compared them side-by-side with the Tapco's as well as the Peavey's I ultimately ended up with. I'd recommend the Tapco's over the Behringers, and they're in the same ballpark price wise. The Tapco's are a helluva lot lighter too. The Behringers are freakin beasts to lift.

That said, the SP15-NEO's that I chose to go with sounded better than either of the others. They provided a richer, deeper sound than the 12's and sounded better (to my ear) than the either of the 12's did.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.
  • ok ok Im convinced.

I will sell my Marshall amp for a PA but I need advice.

Is Phonic a good brand system? This will be my FIRST pa system. I have always had combos. Big ones small ones....short ones tall ones.....

However, I went ahead and bought that system you suggested Guitar3456. I bought it at guitar center though. GC gave me 100 bucks off, cause they have to special order it. :D

Thanks a lot! :wink:
    That Phonic system looks like a great starter PA system. Let us know how well you like it after you have tested it out. It really seems like a great deal.
  • ManitouManitou Posts: 1,387
    I want to add a second amp to the GNX4, but what would be a good option to consider?
    Another MG30 perhaps? I didnt want to do another combo amp...so what do yall think a good option would be here?
    Thanks.~
    bguitar.gif I think the best option would be a Jackson SL1 in Eerie-Dess. I don't have one yet, but I'm certain it would improve my GNX4 better than anything else.
    337148.jpg

But then there are days, I think the extra string is what is lacking. I think the best thing to improve my GNX4 would be a Schecter C7 FR. I don't have one yet, but I'm certain it would make a huge difference.
    bigJeffLoomisC7FR.jpg
  • I will, thanks.

I hope it don't take too long to get here. :D
  • I have a Schecter C7FR Hellraiser (Alpine White) that just SCREAMS through my GNX3000 > Alesis MultiMix8 USB > Peavey SP15-NEO setup.

That thing is by far the meanest guitar I've ever played. The C1FR Hellraiser (also in my collection) is just as mean, just not as low. :D
    image_209191.gif Arrrh Har Har...Yar.
    My GNX4 is bulged out like a grey football (poor thing)...because of my
    Schecter Blackjack C1 EX Baritone 26.5\" scale notes are soooooo Phat. :lol:
    rockon.gif
    p36985.jpg
    Th Phonic system should be far greater than the KPA sys. The KPA sys is a simple mixer, mono, sharing a 100W peak amp (not rms) so my guess would be maybe 35-40w in each speaker. Those KPA speakers are not something you want to use for mains.

Did GC supply the free speaker stands?

Phonic, Alesis, Alto are pretty much mfg'd in the same facility. It's overseas products, but so is Tapco and 90% of stuff in most of our homes. If you need to feel better, get the extended warranty if GC offers it. Far as I know, the Phonic systems seem to hold up and I've seen this exact system a few times with OMB players. Acoustic, vocals.. It's not massively loud, but on an entry level will be more than you need for the GNX operations.
  • \gtaus\ wrote:
    That Phonic system looks like a great starter PA system. Let us know how well you like it after you have tested it out. It really seems like a great deal.

After some help from the guy in Live sound at guitar center, I got it working. It sounds (dare I say) better than my marshall combo..... :oops:

Thanks for the headsup with PA systems. I never imagined this as being a viable option but now I shalt rock harder than I hath rocked before! :lol:

Thanks guys. Once again I appreciate the incite into PA's. They are definitely much more versatile than any combo amp could ever be.

:D
    ...After some help from the guy in Live sound at guitar center, I got it working. It sounds (dare I say) better than my marshall combo..... :oops: ...

It was hard for me to give up my idea of playing with a guitar amp, but once I got my GNX4 I too decided to go the PA system route. I have never regretted my decision and never looked back. Even my very first starter PA system provided me with better sound than I could get through my Fender Twin Reverb. By that I mean, backing tracks, OBR, vocals, drum machine, stereo effects, etc. just do not sound good coming out of a guitar amp as compared to a PA system with full range speakers. Now I can use the GNX4 and switch between a Fender Twin sound to a Marshall Stack sound to a Mesa Boogie sound.... Even a modestly priced PA system gives you more flexibility than even great guitar amps costing many dollars more. Plus, now if you jam with other guys, you already have a setup for the entire band.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your purchase.
  • Even my very first starter PA system provided me with better sound than I could get through my Fender Twin Reverb. By that I mean, backing tracks, OBR, vocals, drum machine, stereo effects, etc. just do not sound good coming out of a guitar amp as compared to a PA system with full range speakers.

∞ † ∞

You got that right! :lol:

∞ † ∞

I am suprised how much better the GNX4's midi drum patterns sound through my PA versus my Marshall combo. Even my guitar itself sounds better! I hate to say it, but my Marshall isn't even plugged in anymore...sad. :cry:
    ∞ † ∞
    I seriously cant thank yall enough for educating me on PA systems.
    ∞ † ∞
    I almost feel like I wasted money by buying the combo amp, which I bought about 3 months ago. So it's still new. oh, well. All I need now is one more speaker and I will have my four corner setup!
    ∞ † ∞
    I got the 2 that came with the system and I also threw in an extra couple hundred for a good Kustom floor monitor. I love being able to equalize each speaker separately! Can't get that with a combo amp!
    ∞ † ∞
    I even had a hard time sleeping last night cause I wanted to use it...Well anyway, its great! 8)

∞ † ∞
    ...I almost feel like I wasted money by buying the combo amp, which I bought about 3 months ago. So it's still new. oh, well. All I need now is one more speaker and I will have my four corner setup!...

Well, there is some good news for you. If you really like the tone of your Marshall Combo just for your guitar, the GNX4 has a number of output mode options for you which you can read about starting on page 10 of the manual.

I use a small bass amp on stage as my personal monitor. I have the GNX4 output set to MONOALL, which sends my guitar signal out to both the XLR and 1/4\" outputs. So the XLR output goes to the PA system for my main sound controlled by our soundguy, and the 1/4\" output goes to my stage amp which I control for my monitor. I can adjust my monitor level on stage without affecting the FOH speakers. In my band, we send out a simple mono signal to both speakers for all our instruments. So we don't use stereo when playing live.

If you wanted to use your Marshall Combo, there are other options such as SPLIT1 which sends your guitar signal out the 1/4\" output to your guitar amp, and all other signals from the GNX4 get output through the XLR output. So, if your Marshall Combo just has the sound you cannot live without, then you switch the GNX4 into SPLIT1 mode and jack the 1/4\" output of the GNX4 into your Marshall. Your guitar is then played through your Marshall but your drum machine, backing tracks, OBR, etc... are all output the XLR line to your full range PA system.

When I first got my GNX4, I tried a number of the different output modes just to get an idea of what they do. I was thinking, at the time, that I would use the SPLIT1 option and still use my vintage Fender Twin Reverb on stage. However, once I got my PA system, I discovered that I liked the flexibility of the GNX4 jacked straight into the PA system and not bringing my Twin to the stage. The Twin preset on the GNX4, to my ears, is just as good as my original amp, but with a switch of a preset, I could be playing a Marshall Stack, or any of the other amps on the unit.

So, my guitar amps have not been played for almost 3 years now as I jack straight into the PA system for guitar. For bass, on stage, I still use a small bass amp as my monitor, but that is mainly because I don't want to mix my bass guitar back into our stage monitors with our vocals. The great thing about the GNX4 output modes is that you have so many options to explore and find out which fits you best.

Having said that, if you just bought your Marshall Combo and don't expect you will be using it much anymore, maybe you would be better off trying to sell it now and/or trading it in for PA speakers/monitors that you expect you will need. I have a total of three guitar amps in my music room, and since I got my GNX4, they just collect dust. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you like the sound of your PA system with the GNX4. Many of us made the switch to a PA system once we got our GNX4's. Take care.
  • Yea, I imagine my cobo will be collecting dust as well....thats whats so sad about it. I may just go up to Guitar Center and see if:

A: Guitar Center will give me good trade in value on it, or

B: Try to nab someone going inside the Guitar Center building and be like, \"hey man wanna buy a Marshall amp?\".

Right now its actually being used as a way to prop up my mixer. :?
  • RawbRawb Posts: 1,459
    Personally I would wait a bit... As I Dig'..itech my gnx... I still have my tube amps... Can't put my finger on it, but now an then I still power up them valves. There is still something there that just sounds an feel awso right! But that is just me. But if your completely sold.. GL .. But if you can hold off for a few months then you go an fire up them tubes, you might see what I am saying... then again you may not... Just throwing it out there .....
    \Rawb\ wrote:
    Personally I would wait a bit... As I Dig'..itech my gnx... I still have my tube amps... Can't put my finger on it, but now an then I still power up them valves. There is still something there that just sounds an feel awso right! But that is just me. But if your completely sold.. GL .. But if you can hold off for a few months then you go an fire up them tubes, you might see what I am saying... then again you may not... Just throwing it out there .....

Yup I agree. Took a while for me, BUT I use a Mesa Express 5:50 for live miced up, just so much more presence & feel with my Strat. I love my GNX4 BUT these days it's all bout practice & recording at home. Like you said Rawb just something bout a good tube amp 8) :D
    Likewise what Partch and Rawb said!
    It's nice having the diverse digital palette, but there are other colors you just can't get with digital, no matter how you tweak, pinch, or purse your lips.

In the words of Capt. Jack Sparrow... \"Take What Ye Can, Give Nothin' Bak!\"
    This was the beginning of G.A.S.

Now where was I?
    Garr har.. I 'ave a stompbox buried somewhere in my bedroom/studio. Lemme see now... where did I bury it?
    [Yellowbeard quote]
    Stagger-stagger-crawl-jump-step....no..no...was it stagger-jump-stagger.....
  • At present I have exactly the opposite opinion. Over the years I've had amps ranging from Roland JC120 combo's to Marshall 9200 dual monoblock power amps driving rack mounted GSP units through 4x12 cabs including Marshall, Laney, Crate, etc., and all different types in between.

Today my money is on the GNX units through a PA. Once I got use to having access to all of those combinations of tones and amp models, I simply can't go back to being limited to just one of them.

Whippin out some Disturbed? Not a problem. Kick up the 3K to some really hard and overdriven saturation levels with good mix of lows and mids.

Oh, you wanna hear Voodoo Chile? Not a problem. CLICK! Fender Twin and/or Bassman perfectly mixed and balanced. So true a tone that even Stevie would be proud of it.

One thing that made a HUGE difference in the quality of amp reproduction...15\" speakers in the PA cabinets. 12\" are good for vocal reproduction, but every 12\" I tried with my GNX unit sounded thin and weak. Once I plugged into the Peavey SP15's my jaw literally dropped. I couldn't believe the difference. It was simply that noticeable. Something else to consider when looking at PA systems vs regular guitar amps.

I just hope someone picks up the gauntlet and continues making quality modeling systems. I've never been a big fan of Line 6, but considering the direction Digitech has chosen to go, throwing their weight behind the new RP line...I'll likely have to make a change at some point in the future. Right now I'm buying a couple of GNX3K's as backups that will sit in their boxes until my current unit bites the dust.

As with everything based on personal preferences and perception, YMMV.
    :lol: Analog vs. Digital argument.
    I'm sure there is a digital model of this very subject on some processor, or a little 50 year old tube technology involved in improving that digital model. :lol:

Long as we do not loose the art of guitar face along the way. :P
    I did not mean to spark a debate on tube v. digital with my previous comment. I know tone is subjective, so I tried to carefully state that if he does not expect to use his Marshall combo much anymore, now that he has a new PA and likes the versitility/sound of that better, then perhaps he might consider trying to sell his new Marshall combo now when it has a high resale. Unless his combo is a future collector's item, most amps lose value over time as newer amps seem to be better built and have more features. Not all amps, of course.

I'm keeping one of my amps. My brother-in-law claims that my vintage 70's Fender Twin Reverb (tubed) is a collector's item now and is worth many times more than what I paid for it back in 1980. So I hold on to it for that reason. It just doesn't get played anymore now that I have a GNX4 and a PA system. I don't know what the future value of Rex's Marshall combo will be, so I just threw out the suggestion that he might consider selling/trading his combo for gear that he wants/needs now.