Home DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX Archive GENERAL General Discussion and Chatter

New RP 10,000, EVERYONE READ THIS AND CONTRIBUTE!

If you know any of the good folks at Digitech R+D please put them onto this thread.

After being a Digitech man for over 20 years and after all the hype and hoopla I bought a G system and sold it 3 weeks later. As an old Digitech user who is accustomed to the ease of use of Digitech processors the G system was a lesson in frustration. Humm hiss and a zillion parameters kept me away from my guitar and sinking deeper into manuals and forums just trying to get a couple of simple clean sounds outa that thing.... anyway its gone now.. God help its new owner, poor devil...

Okey now I down loaded the RP1000 manual and am looking it over for the last two days (my RP 1000 arrives this morning and I wanted to be mentally ready) now I have some good news and some bad news...

I have been playing guitar 46 years, I am an old fart.. but I still rock, I know how to get a good tone from my guitar. I use tube amps, tube preamps and old Digitech GSP21 processors and IPS33B Processors.. I get complemented about my guitar tone all the time which everyone calls \"The coffee tone\" because of it rich harmonics and warmth... but at last my old gear just cant take the punishment of the road anymore so after 20 years of faithful service I must retire my old rack and buy some new stuff... problem is that the new stuff may be high tech and the latest greatest but it limits the user in using it \"his way\"...

Okey so the G Sytem with its Danish labyrinth mindset was a turnoff and was sold.. so now I come back home to my good old easy to use great sounding fine Digitechs.... but there are some questions...

1. Why no midi out on the RP1000? How can I send midi data to my rack and other devises from my guitar systems \"hub\" which will be the RP1000?

2. Why is there no stereo effects loop in the RP 1000? Maybe the end user has his own bag of tricks (other midi effects) that he wants to integrate into the RP1000?

3. One of the greatest features of the GSP21 was that it had an effects loop with a\"stereo summed\" option that ran the guest devise in the loop parallel which created a huge yet articulate sound... The old GSP21 also had a digital mixer which allowed a dry signal \"compression and EG and exciter but no reverbs or delays\" this allowed you to have a \"TRUE\" wet dry mix in the possessor ... kept everything \"clear\" yet \"full\"...

You wanna hear the wonderful sound I got from these great 20 year old Digitech units? Go to youtube and do a search under Awesome John... they sound much better than todays rinky dink BS gear.

Now hear is my question...
Why after 20 years of development , evolution, and now modeling etc... why cant I get a switching center processor to be fully configurable and sound as good as my twenty year old Digitechs? Some one tell me why?

I will tell you why.... because most of the new age guitarists today \"really cant play\" they spend countless hours \"in quest of tone\" but they do this on internet forums and computer systems.... so the mindset of the units being created and sold are for these guys who are spending money and buying these units like the G system and the RP1000... To the guitarists reading this saying \"whats this talking about?\" Let me ask you 3 questions...

1. How many hours a day do you spend on the internet \"talking guitar tones?\"
2. How many hours a day do tweak parameters on your possessors and computer interfaces?
3. Okey now how many hours a day do you actually play guitar? I mean perform? Study technique , touch, phrasing, drills etc?

You see what I mean?

Its a trap... the \"tone quest\" that never ends.... it draws one farther and farther away from his real instrument ...

Why is it that after so many years of development in the music instrument industry that we need to use modeling, compression, eq, a tone of effects, boutique midi preamps, cutting edge software etc to even get close to the tone that Jimi got from a Marshall a fuzzface and a wah wah with the band of gypsy's?

I'll tell ya why ... because Jimi played 5 hours a day, and thats where the tone comes from \"ones own hands\"... what do we do? spend that 5 hours on the net asking other searchers how to attain that tone...

well the tone is \"touch, feel, execution etc\" but I would also like to get a freeken unit that dosnt drive me into computer geek insanity like the Gsystem or limit me in its integration possibilities like the RP1000..

okey how do we cure this?

We need a RP 10,000...

here are the points that our friends at digitech R+D need to consider...

1. Forget cost effective... I and everyone else that is serious about their tone will spend $1500 on a possessor as proven by the sales of the G System it so don't cut corners anymore.

2. Add more stomp box loops, one stomp loop dosnt cut it. You still tap dance its stupid. Add at least 5 loops and 9v power and one 12 volt power out (for the wireless or high end pedals )

3. Midi out in and through, let us decide whether we need it or not. 3 midi jacks cost you 90 cents to add... charge me 20 bucks I don't care.

4. Give it a stereo FX loop that is parallel (summed) with a nice mix control. Yeah yeah I know you read that parallel sucks and series is the deal. By the time you find out thats not true you will be as old as I am.

5. The entire unit should have a final digital mixer just before the master outs.. this way you can add all the effects you want yet run a dry signal through \"after\" the compressor and distortion and EQ to keep the sound from turning into indian food.

6. Put \"2\" buffered preamp loops in it. Many pro guitarists are using high gain tube preamp as stomp boxes with great success.

Do not paint it all black so it becomes invisible on stage. Use the big noiseless lighted foot switches we all love.

okey and finally please be DIGITECH again... the real digitech that originally made possessors that lasted 20 years in use... not only made sturdy but also \"useful great sounding units that withstood the test of time and could adapt to all kinds of changing musical situations\"...

Please don't force your original hard core customers go off to fruity Danish guys with black nail polish looking for a possessor. You guys at Digitech used to set the trends and now your following them. Come on now, its time to come out with a Digitech unit that blows everything away...

I need one... and I am sure I am not alone.. step up to the plate Digitech.

Warmest regards
Awesome John

PS.. if any of our Brother Digitech users would also like to offer suggestion for the \"new end all RP10,00\" fantasy processor please feel free to add them onto this thread... lets try to get Digitech to be Digitech again and come back like gangbusters with a great expanded \"PRO UNIT\" that we all need.

Comments

• Okey the RP 1000 arrived a few hours ago and I took it out and tested it and everything... and it is back in the box and being returned to the store tomorrow...

greatly disappointed...

Come on dear friends at Digitech what gives?
    I am going on ebay and buying up some old stuff.. thats seems to be the only way to do this for now.
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    You should check out GSP1101 rack unit, from what I recall it address all the issues you have with RP1000.
  • Thank you for your suggestion...

Yes...I did try the GSP 1101 it was better than the rp1000 but still no cigar...

They should just reissue the GSP21 with modeling included they would have a huge hit....

Problem is all this new stuff sounds thin.. the older stuff sounded fat because of the multiple inner routings that was possible..

anyway I just bought two on ebay ... now good luck trying to find that tiny 6 pin foot cable ...
  • I agree, I still use my RP7.
    - not because it's easier to operate, but it just sounds much better.

I have an RP7 since 1995 I think, I've owned about 5
    also a GSP21 Pro. they are awsome.

Now I've had the GNX3000 for 3 years,
    and have yet to get a tone as good as the RP7, Although I keep it around to mix with the RP7, and also use the GNX3000 for my PC Sound Card Interface.

I mix in the Keyboard, RP7, Mic, and whatever else I want,
    and record to the PC.

I think it boils down to this:
    It's like having those awsome amps from '57 '62 my favorite is the Crate TD-50c from the early '90s I may be picking one up this month if it's in good shape. or the '83 JCM800, they dont make em like that anymore.
    And chances are, they probably never will.
    So my Vintage, or Retro RP7, will stay with me forever, fortunately I have not had to replace the internal battery, or 12AX7 tube.

Technology sells these days, and mostly posers are buying it.
    that leaves us tone searchers out of luck.

I'm into the technology, but the sounds that come with it just flat suck.
    gota mix the good with the bad.
  • \Mr_Scary\ wrote:
    I agree, I still use my RP7.
    - not because it's easier to operate, but it just sounds much better.

I have an RP7 since 1995 I think, I've owned about 5
    also a GSP21 Pro. they are awsome.

Now I've had the GNX3000 for 3 years,
    and have yet to get a tone as good as the RP7, Although I keep it around to mix with the RP7, and also use the GNX3000 for my PC Sound Card Interface.

I mix in the Keyboard, RP7, Mic, and whatever else I want,
    and record to the PC.

I think it boils down to this:
    It's like having those awsome amps from '57 '62 my favorite is the Crate TD-50c from the early '90s I may be picking one up this month if it's in good shape. or the '83 JCM800, they dont make em like that anymore.
    And chances are, they probably never will.
    So my Vintage, or Retro RP7, will stay with me forever, fortunately I have not had to replace the internal battery, or 12AX7 tube.

Technology sells these days, and mostly posers are buying it.
    that leaves us tone searchers out of luck.

I'm into the technology, but the sounds that come with it just flat suck.
    gota mix the good with the bad.

Definitely true... I cant believe that after all these technological developments that the present day gear sounds so rinky dink compared to the older original Digitech stuff which still blows every!

The great news is that these grand old units were built like tanks back in their day and are still going strong and can be found on ebay regularly. The only draw back is that the older rack mounted stuff gets smashed up on the road from hard hits to the rack case because the units \"rack ears\" bend... the face plate of the unit has input output pots that are mounted to the pc board \"through the face plate\" so when the faceplate bends the pots are snapped.. I changed my gsp21 face plate pots 7 times already but unit is still going strong! So the answer seems to be to buy some backup units on ebay and program them with bulk midi info dump from your original unit and keep them in the rack as \"spares\" an when needed just substitute the spares...

So I am glad to say that as of right now my tone search is over...
    I am satisfied..
    I have found my holy grail,
    I just have to keep buying the old stuff on ebay. The good news is that people are still not hip to the fact that the old stuff blows the new stuff away so the old stuff is still cheap :) and that good for us tone guys!
  • Did you check out this video,
    Seems the RP1000 has some unique features for amping.
    http://digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/Flash_Demo/RP1000/RP1000YouTubeBeatty.php

I may check the RP1000

I actually have my on the Digitech GSP1101,
    and the Rocktron Prophecy II, think I will set aside some time to go to GC and fiddle a bit.
  • I tried that... didnt sound right to me..

Thanks for the link it has inspired me to take oone more shot at it with the RP1000... will let ya know..
  • ednrgednrg Posts: 971
    Although the 4 cable system seems like it could be a winner, I chose to stay away from the RP series after trying out the RP1000 at Guitar Center.

Here are some of the threads on the RPs that I posted my findings, etc.

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9898&highlight=rp1000

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4915&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rp1000&start=60

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10216&highlight=rp1000
  • just got back from guitar center, what a mess, no digitech equipment, no Prophecy II, the guy said they may get a GSP1101 or Prophecy II in, and just a bunch of clutter, Although I did see the used '90s Crate TD-50c I wanted, was in good shape too for $119.00, . they also had a used GNX4, was pretty used looking, I did'nt ask the price.

So I went to Best Buy, they had all the Digitech RP models on a giant display, however the 5 people behind the counter never asked me if I needed anything. So me and my son figured it all out after a few minutes, and guess what. no 1/4' headphone adapter, and all the cords were not removable. so we walked again. I did try out the Crate Flexwave 4x12 half stack it sounded amazing at low volume, the higher I turned it up the worse it sounded. but still for 500.00 I may pick one up. it had line outs I think.

I may go back to Best Buy, and try out the RP1000 and just get real aggressive with the employees, when my son isnt with me.
    hopefully I can test it out on the Crate TD-50c, and the Flexwave 4x12

And nobody had Saprano Recorders for my sons school music class,
    we found it at Saied Music. Saied actually had a Brand New GNX3000, he wanted 379.00, I paid 299.00 for mine 3 years ago. I guess 379.00 is not bad for new discontinued GNX3000, as they are kida hard to find new.
    bad thing is they leave it turned on.
  • \Mr_Scary\ wrote:
    just got back from guitar center, what a mess, no digitech equipment, no Prophecy II, the guy said they may get a GSP1101 or Prophecy II in, and just a bunch of clutter, Although I did see the used '90s Crate TD-50c I wanted, was in good shape too for $119.00, . they also had a used GNX4, was pretty used looking, I did'nt ask the price.

So I went to Best Buy, they had all the Digitech RP models on a giant display, however the 5 people behind the counter never asked me if I needed anything. So me and my son figured it all out after a few minutes, and guess what. no 1/4' headphone adapter, and all the cords were not removable. so we walked again. I did try out the Crate Flexwave 4x12 half stack it sounded amazing at low volume, the higher I turned it up the worse it sounded. but still for 500.00 I may pick one up. it had line outs I think.

I may go back to Best Buy, and try out the RP1000 and just get real aggressive with the employees, when my son isnt with me.
    hopefully I can test it out on the Crate TD-50c, and the Flexwave 4x12

And nobody had Saprano Recorders for my sons school music class,
    we found it at Saied Music. Saied actually had a Brand New GNX3000, he wanted 379.00, I paid 299.00 for mine 3 years ago. I guess 379.00 is not bad for new discontinued GNX3000, as they are kida hard to find new.
    bad thing is they leave it turned on.

and this is why internet sales are zooming and instore sales are down, Funny that you should speak of crate, I own a Crate vinatge club 50 212 with digital FX built in.... the one Billy Gibons loves, and let me tell you its a tone monster.... plug in and play delight. I also owned many of the A class 30 watt crate Vintage club amps and they too are GREAT amps! just stay in distortion channel and turn down the volume for clean tones galore! I recently just purchased a BK Butler Real Tube overdrive \"his latest reissue with 5 knobs!\" it has a tube bias knob on the box now! WOW! what an amazing tube pedal... all the Eric Johnson and Satriani tones plus perfect Jimi vibe, leslie west tones, the best tube pedal ever made..Tried the method on the link you sent and \"it still sounds thin\" really miss that \"digital multi layering mixer inside the gsp21\" anyway so from now one I am an ebay man buying the great original Digitech gear.. so be it
  • \ednrg\ wrote:
    Although the 4 cable system seems like it could be a winner, I chose to stay away from the RP series after trying out the RP1000 at Guitar Center.

Here are some of the threads on the RPs that I posted my findings, etc.

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9898&highlight=rp1000

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4915&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rp1000&start=60

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10216&highlight=rp1000

Thank you for your input.... for us guys who know the original GREAT digitech quality its a bummer to see this once great \"USA manufacturing\" company building these rinky dink processors the last few years... The 1101 was an attempt to recapture the glory years but fell short in my opinion... I think the problem may be that they need more hard core guitar players within the R+D department at Digitech instead of the computer wiz kids wo cant really play guitar.

They should reissue the gsp21 at original specs \"and build quality\" and add the new software / Modeling etc to that proven platform.. AXE FX by fractal is a $2000 processor and selling like crazy.. why? because it is to todays market what the original gsp21 was to the music market in the late 80's... built like a tank with \"usable players tones\" not space movie effects\" for kids...
    I seriously think that Digitech needs to get back to its roots based in quality manufacturing and groundbreaking technology based on \"pro market\" instead of trying to make a better \"zoom pedal\" for kids.
  • +1 yea it is a bummer,
    I went to GC again today with my friend I have'nt seen in a while,
    And I think the old BOSS stompboxes are the way to go good tone.

I wanted to try out Digitech's but the panel was not working, great job again GC, get you $H*t together man.

My buddy his a GNX4, and the factory presets sounded really good.
    I may have to pick one up, my GC has 1 for 200.00, I already have the GNX3000, but I dont think the presets can be converted from 3000 to 4, and vice versa. I tried the Preset Converter, there was no GNX3000 check box.

I'm more then likely going to get a new Half stack, and some stompboxes, or try out a line 6, Boss, Rocktron, or something that actually sounds good. I really did'nt the Line 6 Pod, I owned on for a short time due to it's portability.
  • Odly enough line 6 has come out with an \"all tube amp\" designed by Reinhardt Bogner that integrates with the pod and I checked it out on the videos and was very surprised at the tone...

So I guess line 6 finally gave up trying to model tube tone and went for the real deal :)

In any case do a search on the net for the new line six \"all tube\" amp I think it has surprised many people... I would love to get more info and demos about the digitech all tube amp.
  • Line 6 HD100 MkI and MkII

I have the MkI and in live situations it is far better than any modeling device I've tried, but they're really apples and oranges. Each of them meet needs the other doesn't, and designed for different purposes.

I still use my GNX3 for home recording because it's completely quiet beyond the confines of my headphone distribution setup (doesn't bother the wife when I'm writing/recording in the wee hours of the morning or late at night) while the HD100 has to be cab'd & mic'd. The GNX still has sufficient tone for recording, and it can be tweaked a bit during mixing with a little EQ for more warmth/depth/bite/clarity. However, for live stuff...gotta stick with my HD100. The tones that come out of that thing are just amazing. Run through two Marshall 1960 JCM900 cabs...it's a beast of a rig. The HD100 Bogner design really is the best of both world (modeling + tube).

I've even been considering picking up the 2x12 combo version for portability. The full stack doesn't fit into my car very easily. =)

The only drawback I've found with the HD100...the effects chains/options are really limited. If all you need is a simple chorus/phase/flange and a delay it will work fine. If you need something more complex...not gonna happen.

Request: stick with the black colored font for your posts. The yellow/orange are very hard to read, at least for this old man. =)
  • Dude, GNX Jammer

Nice website, your setup kicks @$$
  • Thanks William. Looks like you've got a pretty nice setup as well!

I spent the weekend reorganizing and rerouting/rewiring everything. JSS Studios \"v4.0\" should drastically improve the quality of sound I can produce with the new setup. I found some routing in my ProFire's software mixer that was really jacking with the dynamics I was trying to create. Hope to have some new recordings soon, so I'll be able to compare before/after side-by-side.

/end threadHijack =)
  • Thank's, Appreciate you looking.

LOL.. I just did that last week as well. I wanted to try my onboard sound card, using the Yamaha MG10 Mixer, but the timing is way off.

Was thinking about getting a USB Mixer, Yamaha, and Mackie and make some good 10/5 channel USB mixers.

My reason is, the GNX3000's Talker will NOT mute the human voice when using USB to PC, it records Both the Talker Effect, and dry voice, even with mic turned OFF.

/ThreadHiJack lol... but it keeps the OP's thread bumped
  • I loved the GNX4 -gnx3000 because it offers lots control over tone.

I didn't like any of the early stuff. It sounded artificial to me. You got a good tone.

We all have our favorites.

Digitech has disappointed me after the 3000.

I would build a copy of an old Fender( because I can't afford a real one)
    If I get away from the GNX4.
  • Has anyone else ever noticed how the same setup can sound completely different depending on the person playing?

I guess differences in technique and possibly different electrical properties of each persons body changes tone.

I hope that is clear.
  • Gearitis is dangerous. Playing as much as possible is more important than gear.
    When I picked up the guitar in 1980 I played it all the time and I didn't even have an amp. I had to mow a bunch of lawns before I got that.

I remember having vivid dreams where I was doing finger exercises: because in my waking life I was playing every moment.

Anyone can buy gear.
  • clubturboclubturbo Posts: 10

I would have worked out the RP-1000.
    That is a nicer unit then I can use.
    I would use maybe three, or four custom sounds.

I used a GSP-2101 for years, with two Studio Quads v2.
    I needed the two quads to let the GSP-2101 push larger reverb.
    Very tricky setup as well, I had to max out the 2101 to see I needed
    the other two Studio Quads, same software / CPU, but more extras
    as for dynamic changes as I play, all midied up too.

I only used three, maybe four presets.
    Flanger in to delay, parallel with
    Chorus in to reverb on the 2101.
    Massive sound, but really smooth too.

The dual Studio Quads ran in two Uptown Technologies
    Flash Four units for noiseless, transparent switching.
    I used a very light reverb and chorus on the two quads
    because the GSP-2101 was panned about 10 and 2 in the mix.
    This gave the GSP-2101 the needed head room to rip.
    The clean sounds on this set up had been a dream come true.

The GSP-2101 laid the the basic sonicability I was after.
    I mostly left the GSP 2101 on a few presets as I had
    the 5 units midied up for a light mixing with two foot controller
    I programed with the Digitech PMC-10 midi control unit.

Using an third mixer for out bound effects
    of a normal effects loop is the ticket today.
    They have some pretty nice floor / foot units
    today that fit the bill your reaching for.
    Can be costly if your willing to have 100% control.
    The limitations are the same as when the 80's, 90s
    effects units had been built. But today people can
    use floor pedals to get near the 80s, 90s rack sounds
    and have the floor pedals switched around by presets.

The GNX1, GNX2 have a lot your looking for.
    As the GNX units get above 2 or 3?
    They get digital with recording and drum tracks.

I almost ordered a Digitech rpx400, but found a RP-20.
    Nothing beats the Tube driven RP units as they all use the
    super powerful S-Disk CPUs with 99% control on programing.

Today, the above floor effects switches I spoke about are the
    missing element from the 80's, 90s midi control.

Price wise is to much as I can get a couple Digitech units
    and beat any sound a pedal will dump out.

• clubturboclubturbo Posts: 10

Here is one of the nicer foot style floor effects switchers.
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/es-8/

We have better means of switching?
    But MIDI seems to have falling of the grid.

Here is a MIDI style unit like the above unit.
    https://www.ehx.com/products/super-switcher

I like this one too.
    https://www.thegigrig.com/g2