Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX3000 General GNX3000 General Discussion

Connecting two apms to GNX3000

I have a small Fender Champ 110 that I connect to balanced 1/4 output on my GNX. I love that Fender but I need more bottom end, fullness and richness. So I thought about getting another apm to run to the spare 1/4 output, but can I just add a cabinet instead of full amp?
Where would I plug it in and how would I set it on on the GNX3000 output?

Thanks as always

Comments

• iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    GNX will not drive a cabinet; the 1/4\" balanced outputs are designed for an amp-level signal. You would need a clean power amp driving your cab, and plug the \"spare\" GNX output into that.

You can try one of two things: (1) in your GNX preset, increase the bass - usually by simply adjusting the setting for your current amp; you can also try using the cab tuning feature to \"darken\" the overall sound of the simulated resonance. (2) boost the bass on your Fender, and see whether that will do the trick.

What is your playing situation? For me, I generally run the GNX directly to the house system, and they can take care of any eq problems on their end. But remember, a small amp will only deliver so much bass; also consider that mic'ing the amp will contribute to certain coloration, depending on what the board settings are for your guitar channel.
  • Iliace,

Thanks for the reply.

I figured I would need an power amp. I just did not know if GNX had enough power to drive the cabinets.

I don't play in bands anymore. Just at home. I have been using MFX Supermodels for years now and I love it. I got really decent at making my own custom presets and tweaking existing ones. In the last few years I've tried every option under the sky to make it sound bigger and fuller. And I pretty much exhausted what my little Fender speaker can do. Now it's only a simple physics of how much air can be moved lol
    Fender does have external speaker (8 ohms) connector so I can run cabinet through that, but i still want my fender speaker to be heard, and if I run cabinet my Fender speaker will be turned off automatically.

I might just get another combo amp and connect it to a spare 1/4.
    Or get a power amp and a cabinet.

Thanks again
  • gtausgtaus Posts: 2,680
    If you are only concerned about sound in your home, instead of buying another guitar amp, why not just buy a good full frequency (powered) cab/speakers and a small mixer board (with power amp if your speakers are not powered). A mixer opens up many more options for home use, like adding mics, keyboards, audio devices for playing jam tracks. And a full frequency powered speaker/cabinets will let you take advantage of all instruments from the lowest bass to the highest crash cymbal. When you compare the prices of a small mixer/powered speaker combo, you usually have money left over compared to a guitar amp by itself. And the mixer/speaker combo is much more versatile, IMHO. My mini mixer and \"home\" PA stereo full frequency system was $$$ less than an average priced mono guitar amp of good quality but limited frequency range (neither the low lows, or the high highs).
  • \gtaus\ wrote:
    If you are only concerned about sound in your home, instead of buying another guitar amp, why not just buy a good full frequency (powered) cab/speakers and a small mixer board (with power amp if your speakers are not powered). A mixer opens up many more options for home use, like adding mics, keyboards, audio devices for playing jam tracks. And a full frequency powered speaker/cabinets will let you take advantage of all instruments from the lowest bass to the highest crash cymbal. When you compare the prices of a small mixer/powered speaker combo, you usually have money left over compared to a guitar amp by itself. And the mixer/speaker combo is much more versatile, IMHO. My mini mixer and \"home\" PA stereo full frequency system was $$$ less than an average priced mono guitar amp of good quality but limited frequency range (neither the low lows, or the high highs).

That is not a bad idea, but a while back when I was playing with band, I did try to run GNX into a house PA and it sounded ok. Not bad, but just ok. Little thin when compared running it through an actual guitar amp. I felt there was less air movement. It could be because PA speakers were off the floor or maybe weak, but It was very different than playing it through a guitar amp. I also tried tweaking MFX Supermodels to sound better via PA but I could never get it right.
    \220volt\ wrote:
    \gtaus\ wrote:

That is not a bad idea, but a while back when I was playing with band, I did try to run GNX into a house PA and it sounded ok. Not bad, but just ok. Little thin when compared running it through an actual guitar amp. I felt there was less air movement. It could be because PA speakers were off the floor or maybe weak, but It was very different than playing it through a guitar amp. I also tried tweaking MFX Supermodels to sound better via PA but I could never get it right.

Well, just about all the local bands around here just have small stage amps for the band, and just send a direct line out to the mixer board. The soundguy, out front, is responsible for dialing in the mix and the sound for the bands. Our PA systems push out a lot more air than most guitar amps a band could afford. At our main place where we gig, they run about 3000 watts per side, plus sub woofers. When my band hits the road, my PA system has 800 watts per side, with sub woofers, but still we never exceed about 60% volume level at the clubs we play.

I suppose if you had a relatively small PA system, with small speakers, then yes, you would not be pushing much air. However, even my small PA system has 15\" mains with horn, and 18\" subwoofers. That combination has worked well for us and nobody complains about our sound. All the guys shoot a direct line out from their effects box to the main board, except the drummer, who we have to mic up his kit, of course.

But, back to your situation, I was thinking that a \"small\" PA system for the house would offer you many more options. I don't know how much \"air\" you want to push at home, but I think some good 12\" speakers would work really good. In my home music studio, where my band practices, I have my older main 15\" speakers on tripods. That provides us plenty of sound and I don't even bother hooking up my sub woofers. There is only so much \"air\" I can push in my music room without getting massive feedback in the mics.

Like I said, the best thing about a full frequency PA system is that I run backing tracks through the system and get the low bass tones as well as the high cymbals on the drums. If you try to run those same backing tracks through your typical guitar amp, the music sounds thin and muddy.

Guitar amps have a very narrow frequency range, designed for guitar. You can't push out low bass tones or hear a good cymbal crash through guitar amps. That goes for my Fender Twin Reverb or my brother-in-law's Marshall stack. Great sounding guitar amps on their own, but not good for use as full range monitors. Also, just about every preset or special effect you run through a Fender Twin, or Marshall stack, ends up sounding like a preset run through a Fender Twin or Marshall stack because the amps themselves are designed with a particular sound in mind, and therefore every sound gets colored as it leaves the guitar amp.

With full frequency speakers that do not color the sound, when I change presets on my GNX4, every guitar amp/preset sounds much much closer to the real amp it was modeled after - if you know what I mean. I might not be able to afford an Ampeg SVT stack, or a Marshall stack, etc..., but I can sure dial it in on my GNX and live the dream pretty darn close.

Best wishes.
  • I have tried running the GNX3000 through my self power studio monitor M-Audio BX5's and it sounded ok. I liked it a lot better going through my Fender champ amp though. I like backing tracks via my BX5's of course. Sound pristine, but GNX3000 just doesn't like it much. I did not like the sound of through big PA's back when i was in a band. I mean ti wasn't horrible, but it was just ok.
    So I went and bought Fender bandmaster 2x12 cabinet, but it was way too much for my room so I returned it. It was feeding back all over the place and was very muddy from the sound bouncing off all over the place. Plus as soon as I connected Fender cabinet, it turned off speaker on my Fender champ. so I lost its clean sound.
    I will try to get another amp so I can run it along with my champ via secondary 1/4 out.

I do have another question though. Is it possible to use GNX3000 only as an effect (delay, reverb compression etc..) but to use amp's overdrive and everything else.?

Thanks
    \220volt\ wrote:
    ...I do have another question though. Is it possible to use GNX3000 only as an effect (delay, reverb compression etc..) but to use amp's overdrive and everything else.?

Thanks

I don't see why you could not use any combination of effects from the GNX3000 and the guitar amp's built in effects. Whatever sounds best to you. Take care.
  • \gtaus\ wrote:
    \220volt\ wrote:
    ...I do have another question though. Is it possible to use GNX3000 only as an effect (delay, reverb compression etc..) but to use amp's overdrive and everything else.?

Thanks

I don't see why you could not use any combination of effects from the GNX3000 and the guitar amp's built in effects. Whatever sounds best to you. Take care.

Do you know how to do that? I went through GNX manual and I don't see how I can route, lets say just delay to my amp and use everything else form my amp.

Thanks again