Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX4 FAQs GNX4 Utilities

MP3 playback hit or miss

Anyone else experience issues where MP3's saved to the GNX do not play. If I load 20 probabaly 18 will be fine and 2 no - go's. Any ideas?

Comments

• shreddshredd Posts: 5,649
    I am, seriously, no expert on tech issues. I'm just here to meet chix.
    But I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with file-naming protocols, or perhaps some sort of mp3 encoding/format issue...
  • iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    I've had this issue, too. I never established the cause. All files were similarly name, DRM free, downloaded from the same place (Amazon). And out of 5, one would consistently not play. No idea why.
  • gtausgtaus Posts: 2,680
    I have had that problem, too. What I found, is that it was a bitrate/encoding problem.

My solution was to reconvert the .mp3 file to a 192 bps CBR (Constant Bit Rate) .mp3 file. That is my standard anyway for my .mp3 files I rip. The downloaded .mp3 files I had problems with were almost always ripped from DVD/Video audio, at a higher bitrate, and/or with VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding. There are free utility programs out there that will tell you exactly how your problem .mp3 file was encoded and maybe you can compare/contrast those files with ones that work. I found it faster just to re-convert the files to something that I knew works. Free conversion programs are everywhere.

When all else fails, somewhere in the GNX4 manual it tells you what format/encoding .mp3 files the GNX4 will play. I have never had a problem sticking to what the owner's manual says it supports.

Somewhere along the line, I just bought a patch cord to go from my personal mp3 player to the audio in jacks of the GNX4. My personal mp3 player holds hundreds and hundreds of mp3 files, has better search features, has auto stop at the end of the file, or will move on to the next song in the list or folder, looping ability, pitch change, speed up/slow down, etc.... The GNX4 mp3 player is rather basic compared to what is available now. Fortunately for us, those audio inputs on the GNX4 ensure that we can jack in external devices and take advantage of our newer technology.

So there are many ways to solve your technical problem. Hope something mentioned here helps. Take care.