Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech GNX Archive Threads GNX Archive GENERAL Member Pictures and Videos

Battle Of The Bands, 4/1/14

This was one of 3 songs we did...we absolutely crushed them, had the whole crowd of about 150 roaring and dancing. We had 6 songs prepared, but we got booted offstage after our \"allotted\" 3 songs/15 minutes limit...even though other bands (who'd probly been sucking the host's dyk) were allowed to play dismal, rambling sets for 30 and 40 minutes. Bitter? Who, me??? :P

Sorry about the crappy audio...the guy shooting w/my iPhone had his thumb over the mic half the time. But you get the idea...

I'm playing bass in this band; that's me with the incredibly stylish hat, stage left. :P

See it here:
https://www.facebook.com/adam.sherman.54

Comments

• iliaceiliace Posts: 5,567
    Extreme success! Glad it went well for you. I'm always skeptical of BoB events so hearing someone get a notch at one of them is always a bonus.

Congrats!
    \shredd\ wrote:
    This was one of 3 songs we did...we absolutely crushed them, had the whole crowd of about 150 roaring and dancing. We had 6 songs prepared, but we got booted offstage after our \"allotted\" 3 songs/15 minutes limit

You gotta put your best material first.

As far as the video, I would say... your vocalist sounds like frigging Ian Gillan. He's amazing. But the backing vocals are weak. They're on time, just not even close to the key. Best to just sing something in your register, that matches the key of the vocalist, rather than trying to hit the original and not even getting close.

My only other critique would be the guitarist should take a lot more advantage of his solo spot time, I was a little disappointed in the solo, it looks like he's holding back a whole lot! Let it wail, man!

Other than that, I think this is a tight performance. Good luck to you guys in the future.
  • shreddshredd Posts: 5,649
    Hey Ilia - thanks for watching the vid, and for your take on it. I know you're a pretty serious pro and your opinion carries some weight with me!
    Thought I'd point out a couple of things:
      As far as what material we chose - well, we only got to play 3 songs, and since the videos were just a guy in the crowd holding my iPhone, NONE of them were really much to look at. I thought this one was decent enough to post...and I was sure everyone in the world was
    dying to see what I look like, sound like, play like, etc... :roll:

The backing vox: again, the audio/mix was pretty lame - it was just an open mic, recorded on a handheld iphone pointed at the stage; also bear in mind that I'm as deaf as a post, and have limited ability to sing with much precision! And the fact that NONE of us are pro's, we just do it for fun, and hope we sound good enough to listen to...in addition, we're quite new - one prior gig (in January) and perhaps 10-12 practices.

As far as Brian and guitar soloing - he does have other songs that he does terrific solos in...this just isn't one of them...[/list:u]
  • RawbRawb Posts: 1,459
    \shredd\ wrote:
    Hey Ilia - thanks for watching the vid, and for your take on it. I know you're a pretty serious pro and your opinion carries some weight with me!
    Thought I'd point out ......

The backing vox: again, the audio/mix was pretty lame - it was just an open mic, recorded on a handheld iphone pointed at the stage; also bear in mind that I'm as deaf as a post, and have limited ability to sing with much precision! And the fact that NONE of us are pro's, we just do it for fun, and hope we sound good enough to listen to...in addition, we're quite new - one prior gig (in January) and perhaps 10-12 practices.

As far as Brian and guitar soloing - he does have other songs that he does terrific solos in...this just isn't one of them...[/list]

Ya! So there! ...... But I still value your opinion! .... lmao ..... Just a bit protectful of your mates .. eh, shredd!? 5months later should be up around 50 practices... lets see some more vids! .... He was just saying .... I think after one vid/song y'all have the makings of a fine bar band! I've seen some good bands, but no followers... OTOH .... Seen alot of so so bands, but they have folks that come out in support ... and that is what gets repeat paying gigs!

I do agree with Ilia on the band battle thing... Seen one where the winner got a new drum set... The fix was on! But some one screwed up and the pre-approved winner didn't win.. I can tell ya, the host band \"leader\" was not a happy camper... Laughed my ass off all the way out the door!
    \Rawb\ wrote:
    Ya! So there! ...... But I still value your opinion! .... lmao ..... Just a bit protectful of your mates .. eh, shredd!? 5months later should be up around 50 practices... lets see some more vids! .... He was just saying .... I think after one vid/song y'all have the makings of a fine bar band! I've seen some good bands, but no followers... OTOH .... Seen alot of so so bands, but they have folks that come out in support ... and that is what gets repeat paying gigs!

I do agree with Ilia on the band battle thing... Seen one where the winner got a new drum set... The fix was on! But some one screwed up and the pre-approved winner didn't win.. I can tell ya, the host band \"leader\" was not a happy camper... Laughed my ***purple elephant*** off all the way out the door!
    Hey Rawb...thanks for watching!
    Yeah, I guess I got a bit defensive of the guyz, 'cuz I think they're great and we admit we're not a pro-caliber outfit. Then again, I live in a town with more dogs than people, so no one's listening anyway.

Sadly, we're in disarray right now: we haven't played in nearly two months!!! The git'rist has a \"real\" job and has been on the road for almost that long, though he'll be back for the summer; the singer just got back from a month in Europe; and the drummer is off being a pro mtn bike racer and may not be back at all, let alone steadily enough to be our drummer.

So when the other three of us are back in town, we haveta talk about getting a new drummer. There's gigs galore up for grabs around here; and we've got a great songlist and some following...not to mention that I spent several weeks' wages on fleshing out my bass rig to play with these guys... :?

But...if we DO get rolling and get some of these gigs, we'll surely have someone shooting video, at least with a phone, so we can post some more...I know Shania trolls this forum night and day, and is DYING to see me in action... :P
    My comment wasn't intended to be an insult to any of your bandmates, by any means. I'm just trying to give helpful advice from my experience.

Yeah, there's always an excuse, yada yada... some guy called your music crap. So what? You're not a 20-year-old who will give up his entire music career because some creep told him he ain't got what it takes. Forget it and move on.

Some things go wrong at shows, not everybody always nails their part. So what. Even if someone does notice and points it out - all you need to do is get it right the next time. Eventually'll you nail it, if you keep going.
    \iliace\ wrote:
    My comment wasn't intended to be an insult to any of your bandmates, by any means. I'm just trying to give helpful advice from my experience.

Yeah, there's always an excuse, yada yada... some guy called your music crap. So what? You're not a 20-year-old who will give up his entire music career because some creep told him he ain't got what it takes. Forget it and move on.

Some things go wrong at shows, not everybody always nails their part. So what. Even if someone does notice and points it out - all you need to do is get it right the next time. Eventually'll you nail it, if you keep going.
    Hey Ilia - thanks for the reply...no offense taken - in fact, I particularly appreciate your input, because of your stature as a really serious musician, which is well beyond what me n my pals are doing...yeah, we wanna play well, be tight, have fun, etc...but we're just a bunch of old doods enjoying each others' abilities and making people dance. We're putting work into being good, but none of us are serious enough about it to give a honk what critical people say.
    We certainly do make mistakes...note in the video that I spaced my backup vox a time or two...but it's fun, we've gotten very tight (when we practice...we just came off a two-month hiatus while members traveled), and overall the reception we've gotten has been awesome.
    Anyway - thanks for your input.

And by the way - CONGRATULATIONS!!! 8)