Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech Products

Trio + Stopped recording loops

Hello,

I have had my Trio + for a few years now and have been happy with it. I recently added it to my Line 6 Pod HD500x setup with the Line 6 DT 25 amp. I was able to teach the Trio+ new parts and record loops, so everything was working fine. The other day I tried to record a new song and the loop appeared to record, but wouldn't play back. The bass and drum parts played back fine. I tried returning to some older songs and the old loops and bass/drum parts played fine, so the problem doesn't seem to be with playback, just recording new loops.

The Trio+ is in the effects loop of the HD500x. The guitar is plugged directly into the Trio+, the Effects Send from the Trio+ is plugged into the guitar input of the HD500x. The signal is passed through the HD500x pedal and preamp model and then passed back out via the effects send. This is tied to the Trio+ Effects Return. The Trio+ amp output is tied to the HD500x effects return and then passed out to the DT25 from there.

guitar -> Trio+ Guitar in -> Trio+ effects send -> HD500x guitar in -> HD500x Effects Send -> Trio+ Effects Return -> Trio+ Amp Out -> HD500x Effects Return -> HD500x L6 output -> DT25.

I have tried a factory reset of the Trio+, which didn't help.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. I guess I'm hoping that someone has seen this before and knows of some "Magic" that will return the Trio+ to full operation.

Thanks,

Dave

Answers

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105

So the Loop is able to arm (flashing rapidly) and when you start playing to record does the LED Loop go solid?

• It does. I also tried recording just a loop (no drum/bass part) with the same result. The loop appears to record, but no sound on playback.

It looks like Trio+ senses the presence of the guitar signal on the guitar input rather than the effects loop return. I say that because one of the things I tried was to replace the effects return cable. When I was doing that I was curious to see if the Trio+ would detect the signal on the guitar input to start recording a loop (flashing to solid) so I left the effects return disconnected and tried recording. It seemed to detect the signal and start recorind as expected.

THanks,

Dave

• I forgot to add, thanks for responding so quickly.

Understood, let me know if you run into anything else you notice. That may have been addressed in firmware update too so download the Trio Updater to check if you need an update as well.

@dhartman3z27 said:
    I forgot to add, thanks for responding so quickly.

You're welcome!

• Over a year later and no fix noted?

I've just discovered the same issue and it's driving me mad = (

Please Help

Trio Updater had nothing to offer

MCU: Production 1.0
    DSP: Production 3.1
    Styles: 0xF7D6
    Ensemble: 0xD53C

• Also, I thought perhaps a factory reset and then Trio Updater update may solve things but there's no mention in the manual of a factory reset function. Found one online that says to hold down the Gtr FX button and Alt Time buttons simultaneously while powering up but this seems to have no effect or, at least, after doing so, has not solved the issue nor prompted Trio Updater to offer anything new (has there ever actually been a firmware upgrade for this unit? - Production 1.0 seems to suggest no but perhaps DSP 3.1 suggests yes?)

Ugh lol... I have work to do that my Trio would really help with atm

• To any Harman folk who read this

FYI...

https://digitech.com/en-US/support link now goes to an invalid URL redirect page which goes to https://www.digitech.com/home

Maybe updating info on this post ( https://proforums.harman.com/digitech/discussion/125168/please-read-me-first-harman-professional-technical-support#latest ) would reduce some customer frustration

Thanks for trying. Not an easy job supporting so many products and all the related customers

• robmakesmusicrobmakesmusic Posts: 6
    edited August 1

Spoke with store where I bought it but as it's past warranty they redirected me to local repair place they rely on heavily.

Spoke with tech there and as soon as I described the issue, he said they can't fix it as this behaviour is most likely due to a faulty circuit that would require replacement.

Have a bad feeling no one at Digitech is going to have much to offer me.

$450.00 CDN (+ I forget how much for FS3X) for 2 years of use and now bricked. Not happy

@robmakesmusic said:
    To any Harman folk who read this

FYI...

https://digitech.com/en-US/support link now goes to an invalid URL redirect page which goes to https://www.digitech.com/home

Maybe updating info on this post ( https://proforums.harman.com/digitech/discussion/125168/please-read-me-first-harman-professional-technical-support#latest ) would reduce some customer frustration

Thanks for trying. Not an easy job supporting so many products and all the related customers

There is not likely any new firmware to be forthcoming that addresses any issues such as this, just fyi. Also usually if you are running into this issue I would recommend trying a new MicroSD card to see if you can record new loops with that. It's typically something we see with cards that are getting "full."

The website has been updated sometime ago so that url does not work, all the technical support contacts are at the bottom of the page along with the forum:

https://www.digitech.com/

• @HARMAN_EElde said:

...I would recommend trying a new MicroSD card to see if you can record new loops with that. It's typically something we see with cards that are getting "full."

Thanks for replying

Just a little confused as this suggestion wasn't made for the OP in this thread who, by all accounts, never resolved their issue. The card is empty and functioning fine on my PC. Are you suggesting I go out and spend money on a new one in the hopes that this might solve this issue for me? If you're confident it's likely to do the trick, then I'm happy to do so but would be rather annoyed to throw good money after bad should it prove ineffective. Hoping to get something more concrete when I call tech support (time zone / work schecdule issues and busy week have prevented my doing so thus far).

edited August 5

@robmakesmusic said:
    @HARMAN_EElde said:

...I would recommend trying a new MicroSD card to see if you can record new loops with that. It's typically something we see with cards that are getting "full."

Thanks for replying

Just a little confused as this suggestion wasn't made for the OP in this thread who, by all accounts, never resolved their issue. The card is empty and functioning fine on my PC. Are you suggesting I go out and spend money on a new one in the hopes that this might solve this issue for me? If you're confident it's likely to do the trick, then I'm happy to do so but would be rather annoyed to throw good money after bad should it prove ineffective. Hoping to get something more concrete when I call tech support (time zone / work schedule issues and busy week have prevented my doing so thus far).

Let's not assume anything for the OP at this point because yes, he never followed up in over a year now. So we never got into more ideas to try to see what it could be. Why was something being suggested now that wasn't then? Well as I said the thread is over a year old and was more or less "ended" until it was revived, by you. They never contacted tech support either as far as I can tell (I looked through cases in the passed year around this time last year etc). ALSO - I am in our tech support department. If you have trouble calling in on our schedule Monday through Friday 8am CDT to 6pm CDT, you can always email as well. (contacts are in my signature of every post)

As for my suggestion - I did not know that your card was empty with no songs or loops saved on it. The only reason it has been brought up I have had experiences with other customers who were unable to record new loops in the past have that issue when all of their song bank positions and parts were full. The Trio+ is limited there. I'm only offering suggestions as I can based on the information I have.

As far as the looping issue, I have a Trio+ sitting right next to me, on the latest firmware (the last firmware update was released in 2016 and is the DSP3.1 version as noted, and as I said, a new update is not likely going forward, that is the last one). I can loop on it and playback just fine. Besides the aforementioned card being full and the loop not actually "recording," the only two instances of not being able to loop or "hear" a recorded loop as I can recall is the OP and now you, so it is not an issue that is encountered frequently or a "known issue" that is widespread still. I know issues like these are frustrating but we have to "work the problem" like with anything especially if it is not a common fault that is easily identifiable. So let's start with what we need to go over:

To record loops, these are the only considerations that need to be met (via the Trio+ Manual, which also gives the limitation of 230 seconds per loop etc):

To record a loop with the band:
    1. Press the BAND footswitch to stop band playback.
    2. Set the LOOP level knob to 12 o'clock.
    3. Ensure the AUDIOLASTIC LED is off. If it isn’t, adjust the TEMPO control and set it to the 12 o'clock position
    — the AUDIOLASTIC LED should now turn off.
    4. Select the part for which you wish to add a loop using the PART buttons. The BAND LED should be lit dim
    green, indicating the TRIO+ has learned the selected part.
    5. There are four ways to begin recording:
    • Press the BAND footswitch to start band playback then press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the
    looper. The LOOPER LED will flash red, indicating it is armed, and when the part comes back around,
    loop recording will automatically begin and you can start playing. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the looper then begin playing when ready. Note that playing any
    note will automatically start the band and loop recording, so keep your guitar quiet until you're ready
    to start. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the looper. Note that playing any note will automatically start the
    band and loop recording, so keep your guitar quiet. Press the BAND footswitch to begin band playback
    and loop recording then start playing when you want the guitar to come in. This method works best
    when your guitar part doesn't start on the first downbeat. Or...
    • Use a count-in. See 'Recording A Loop With The Band Using A Count-In' on page 28 for instructions on
    using this method.
    6. When the part ends, the LOOPER LED will light solid green and the loop you just recorded will begin
    playing along with the band. If your guitar part ends before the song part, press the LOOPER footswitch to
    stop loop recording or keep your guitar silent until the part ends.
    TIP: To clear the loop so you can re-record it, follow the instructions described in 'Clearing Loops' on
    page 25.

Recording Loops Without The Backing Band
    Recording loops without the backing band can be useful if you want to use the TRIO+ as a traditional looper or
    have a song part where the backing band needs to stop playing, such as a breakdown.
    To record a loop without the backing band:
    1. Select the empty part you wish to record the loop to by pressing a PART button that is not lit. The BAND
    LED should be flashing red slowly, indicating the TRIO+ has not learned the selected part.
    2. Set the LOOP level knob to the 12 o'clock position.
    3. There are three ways to begin recording:
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch as you begin playing. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the looper then begin playing when ready. Note that playing any
    note will automatically start loop recording so keep your guitar quiet until you're ready to start. Or...
    • Start with a drum stick count-in. This method is best suited when you want to record a loop-only part
    that needs to match the tempo of the previous part in the song. See 'Matching Tempo To A Previous
    Song Part Using The Metronome' on page 29 for more information.
    4. Loop recording can be stopped and playback initiated in one of two ways:
    • Press the BAND footswitch just as you strum the same downbeat you started on. The LOOPER LED will
    now light green and the recorded loop will begin playing back. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch just as you strum the same downbeat you started on. The LOOPER LED
    will now light amber, the loop you just recorded will begin playing, and you can immediately begin
    recording overdubs. See 'Recording Overdubs' on page 24 for more information. To stop overdub
    recording, press the LOOPER footswitch again (the LOOPER LED will turn solid green).
    TIP: To clear the loop so you can re-record it, follow the instructions described in 'Clearing Loops'
    on page 25.
    5. To stop loop playback press the BAND footswitch.

Are you able to teach the band parts and still not record a loop on top of it, OR are you just using the Trio+ in this instance as a standalone looper? If it appears it is recording fine but you are still not hearing playback, let me know what your signal chain is as well? (Guitar>Trio+>Amp etc. are you using the FX Loop of the Trio+, are you just using the Guitar Amp out, Mixer out or both?). We'll go from there.

• I have exactly the same issue. Loop recording stop working all if a sudden. It actually recorded but at barely audible volume even though you can teach drum parts as normal. Remove the effect loop return and send cable and send the same signal chain to guitar in and it recorded fine as normal again. So now I am using guitar in only. It’s not ideal for turning off effects for teaching, may try some AB switch to assist effects bypass but it’s not totally wasted if nothing breaks further from this point forward. Any suggestion and updates from original poster will be greatly helpful.
  • @HARMAN_EElde said:

@robmakesmusic said:
    @HARMAN_EElde said:

Thanks for replying

Just a little confused as this suggestion wasn't made for the OP in this thread who, by all accounts, never resolved their issue. The card is empty and functioning fine on my PC. Are you suggesting I go out and spend money on a new one in the hopes that this might solve this issue for me? If you're confident it's likely to do the trick, then I'm happy to do so but would be rather annoyed to throw good money after bad should it prove ineffective. Hoping to get something more concrete when I call tech support (time zone / work schedule issues and busy week have prevented my doing so thus far).

Let's not assume anything for the OP at this point because yes, he never followed up in over a year now. So we never got into more ideas to try to see what it could be. Why was something being suggested now that wasn't then? Well as I said the thread is over a year old and was more or less "ended" until it was revived, by you. They never contacted tech support either as far as I can tell (I looked through cases in the passed year around this time last year etc). ALSO - I am in our tech support department. If you have trouble calling in on our schedule Monday through Friday 8am CDT to 6pm CDT, you can always email as well. (contacts are in my signature of every post)

As for my suggestion - I did not know that your card was empty with no songs or loops saved on it. The only reason it has been brought up I have had experiences with other customers who were unable to record new loops in the past have that issue when all of their song bank positions and parts were full. The Trio+ is limited there. I'm only offering suggestions as I can based on the information I have.

As far as the looping issue, I have a Trio+ sitting right next to me, on the latest firmware (the last firmware update was released in 2016 and is the DSP3.1 version as noted, and as I said, a new update is not likely going forward, that is the last one). I can loop on it and playback just fine. Besides the aforementioned card being full and the loop not actually "recording," the only two instances of not being able to loop or "hear" a recorded loop as I can recall is the OP and now you, so it is not an issue that is encountered frequently or a "known issue" that is widespread still. I know issues like these are frustrating but we have to "work the problem" like with anything especially if it is not a common fault that is easily identifiable. So let's start with what we need to go over:

To record loops, these are the only considerations that need to be met (via the Trio+ Manual, which also gives the limitation of 230 seconds per loop etc):

To record a loop with the band:
    1. Press the BAND footswitch to stop band playback.
    2. Set the LOOP level knob to 12 o'clock.
    3. Ensure the AUDIOLASTIC LED is off. If it isn’t, adjust the TEMPO control and set it to the 12 o'clock position
    — the AUDIOLASTIC LED should now turn off.
    4. Select the part for which you wish to add a loop using the PART buttons. The BAND LED should be lit dim
    green, indicating the TRIO+ has learned the selected part.
    5. There are four ways to begin recording:
    • Press the BAND footswitch to start band playback then press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the
    looper. The LOOPER LED will flash red, indicating it is armed, and when the part comes back around,
    loop recording will automatically begin and you can start playing. Or...
    note will automatically start the band and loop recording, so keep your guitar quiet until you're ready
    to start. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch to arm the looper. Note that playing any note will automatically start the
    band and loop recording, so keep your guitar quiet. Press the BAND footswitch to begin band playback
    and loop recording then start playing when you want the guitar to come in. This method works best
    when your guitar part doesn't start on the first downbeat. Or...
    • Use a count-in. See 'Recording A Loop With The Band Using A Count-In' on page 28 for instructions on
    using this method.
    6. When the part ends, the LOOPER LED will light solid green and the loop you just recorded will begin
    playing along with the band. If your guitar part ends before the song part, press the LOOPER footswitch to
    stop loop recording or keep your guitar silent until the part ends.
    TIP: To clear the loop so you can re-record it, follow the instructions described in 'Clearing Loops' on
    page 25.

Recording Loops Without The Backing Band
    Recording loops without the backing band can be useful if you want to use the TRIO+ as a traditional looper or
    have a song part where the backing band needs to stop playing, such as a breakdown.
    To record a loop without the backing band:
    1. Select the empty part you wish to record the loop to by pressing a PART button that is not lit. The BAND
    LED should be flashing red slowly, indicating the TRIO+ has not learned the selected part.
    2. Set the LOOP level knob to the 12 o'clock position.
    3. There are three ways to begin recording:
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch as you begin playing. Or...
    note will automatically start loop recording so keep your guitar quiet until you're ready to start. Or...
    • Start with a drum stick count-in. This method is best suited when you want to record a loop-only part
    that needs to match the tempo of the previous part in the song. See 'Matching Tempo To A Previous
    Song Part Using The Metronome' on page 29 for more information.
    4. Loop recording can be stopped and playback initiated in one of two ways:
    • Press the BAND footswitch just as you strum the same downbeat you started on. The LOOPER LED will
    now light green and the recorded loop will begin playing back. Or...
    • Press the LOOPER footswitch just as you strum the same downbeat you started on. The LOOPER LED
    will now light amber, the loop you just recorded will begin playing, and you can immediately begin
    recording overdubs. See 'Recording Overdubs' on page 24 for more information. To stop overdub
    recording, press the LOOPER footswitch again (the LOOPER LED will turn solid green).
    TIP: To clear the loop so you can re-record it, follow the instructions described in 'Clearing Loops'
    on page 25.
    5. To stop loop playback press the BAND footswitch.

Are you able to teach the band parts and still not record a loop on top of it, OR are you just using the Trio+ in this instance as a standalone looper? If it appears it is recording fine but you are still not hearing playback, let me know what your signal chain is as well? (Guitar>Trio+>Amp etc. are you using the FX Loop of the Trio+, are you just using the Guitar Amp out, Mixer out or both?). We'll go from there.

Hello EElde

Darn... I somehow missed notice of your response here via email or would have replied sooner. I received one this morning in response to raymondrock's post so just saw yours now

I ended up calling and speaking on the phone with a service coordinator in Canada named Jeff. We went over the issue and he had nothing he could walk me through over the phone but was kind enough to offer to support any authorized local repair shop techs that worked on mine so it is now in the hands of A Tech repairs here in Vancouver and they have his contact info. I will update this thread with the results however it appears the issue may be with the main board itself which may prove too costly to replace for what the unit is worth to me. My hope is that the issue is with the card reader itself but that is nothing more than a long shot, wishful thinking guess on my part as this may be an easily affordable replacement component.

Sadly, much like your suggestion of replacing the card, taking it to the repair shop is also going to cost me money regardless of whether or not the unit gets fixed as they charge a base bench repair fee just to look at possible repairs. I understand their need to do so but am just hopeful that it leads to something. The Trio is a very cool unit when working.