Home DigiTech Products

GNX4 Compact flash card issue

My GNX4 works fine with the 1GB card I have in it, but not with a 2GB.

Does anyone know why a 2GB Type I card will work in 1 GNX4 and not another?

Several years ago I bought a 2GB flash card, and it would not identify in my GNX4 (1.3 firmware), but would work without issue in my other guitarists GNX4. I ended up giving it to him, and I bought a 1GB card which works fine.

However I need to get a 2GB card now, and was wondering if anyone might know what the issue is.
I do not have access to the other GNX4

Thanks for any response.

Comments

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 610

@Mr_Scary said:
    My GNX4 works fine with the 1GB card I have in it, but not with a 2GB.

Does anyone know why a 2GB Type I card will work in 1 GNX4 and not another?

Several years ago I bought a 2GB flash card, and it would not identify in my GNX4 (1.3 firmware), but would work without issue in my other guitarists GNX4. I ended up giving it to him, and I bought a 1GB card which works fine.

However I need to get a 2GB card now, and was wondering if anyone might know what the issue is.
    I do not have access to the other GNX4

Thanks for any response.

That is strange indeed. I've never heard of such an issue such as that and I found no tech notes of any kind indicating card types. From the manual all I see is:

Using Compact Flash Memory Cards
    The GNX4 recorder’s memory can be increased by using an optional, external Compact Flash memory card.
    On the back panel is a card slot for adding memory. The GNX4 supports memory cards from 32MB
    (Megabyte) to 2GB (Gigabyte) in size.
    To utilize a Compact Flash memory card in the GNX4, it must be formatted using the FAT16
    File format. DigiTech recommends that you format your card in the GNX4 using our internal format
    routine. Our internal format routine will configure the card as FAT16. You can also format a card on a PC
    using Windows® 2000 or XP but you MUST select the File System to be FAT (meaning FAT16) instead of
    FAT32 and enable the Quick Format option. If a card is formatted using FAT32 and installed into the GNX4
    you will be prompted to format it (FORMAT?). The GNX4 will also prompt the user to format (FORMAT?) a
    card that is unrecognizable for any other reason.

NOTE: The GNX4 is compatible with Type I Compact Flash cards only. It is not compatible
    with Type II cards or IBM/Hitachi Microdrives™.

The table listed below shows the amount of record time each of the currently available cards will provide:
    Card Size Recording Time
    32MB 6 track minutes
    64MB 12 track minutes
    128MB 24 track minutes
    256MB 48 track minutes
    512MB 1 hour and 36 track minutes
    1GB 3 hour 12 track minutes
    2GB 6 hours 24 track minutes

You may want to try reformatting and trying again, or post over in the GNX Archive Section of the forums to see if anyone there has anymore insight?

https://proforums.harman.com/digitech/categories/gnx-migration