Home DigiTech Products

Whammy DT - noise problem

I've just received my first pedal - DigiTech Whammy DT. I connected it using the included power supply.

The chain is:

Guitar => Fender GT10 cable => (input) Whammy DT (output) => Line 6 Relay G10 Transmitter => Yamaha THR30II (battery powered, hi-gain channel)

As soon as I connect the pedal to an electrical outlet, before I even turn any effect on the pedal on, I can hear quite a loud noise.

The hum decreases (only a little bit) as soon as I touch the strings/knobs and increases when I touch (not even press) the "drop tune" button on the pedal (only this one, for some reason...)

Here you can find a recording showing the problem (comments included so that it's easier to understand what's happening): Soundcloud Link

Is this something normal, or do I have a faulty unit?

I should mention that if I connect my guitar directly to the amp, with the exact same settings (quite a lot of gain), I can barely hear any background noise, even with the noise gate turned off.

Comments

• la_berceusela_berceuse Posts: 2

An update: I fixed the problem. I had to plug my amp into an electrical outlet and use a regular cable connection between the guitar/pedal and amp. As soon as I unplug my amp, the hum is back so I guess that having a few more cables is a must in this case :P

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 610

@la_berceuse said:
    An update: I fixed the problem. I had to plug my amp into an electrical outlet and use a regular cable connection between the guitar/pedal and amp. As soon as I unplug my amp, the hum is back so I guess that having a few more cables is a must in this case :P

Glad you were able to pinpoint it, yeah usually any time there is a hum it usually indicates grounding or electrical. Sometimes amps have a Ground Lift switch to compensate for this, but glad you figured it out in any case. Thanks for posting and the follow up!