Home DigiTech Products

Trio+ and Band-in-a-box software.

Hi, I'm using the Trio+ pedal for drafting out songs and it's working out really well.
I can turn out a pretty usable band like sound quite quickly - and even use it for rehearsing a live performance.
Problem is, once I'm happy with the song I cannot get a usable track down direct from the Trio into my recording software. The bass & drum parts are output as a mono signal and there's no click or MIDI sync available to lock it onto a DAW track.

It would streamline my writing -> production if I knew which of the styles in the Band-in-a-box software match the ones I've ended up with on the Trio+ for any given song part. I could then recreate the Trio+ song quickly in BIAB.

I'm assuming here that PG Music who made the Band-in-a-box software have ported a subset of their styles direct onto the Trio+.

Any documentation here at Harmon/DigiTech to help?
A PG Music rep told me there is no direct mapping of style between the two, but I’m skeptical.

Cheers, Rocky.

Comments

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 610

@Rocky1958 said:
    Hi, I'm using the Trio+ pedal for drafting out songs and it's working out really well.
    I can turn out a pretty usable band like sound quite quickly - and even use it for rehearsing a live performance.
    Problem is, once I'm happy with the song I cannot get a usable track down direct from the Trio into my recording software. The bass & drum parts are output as a mono signal and there's no click or MIDI sync available to lock it onto a DAW track.

It would streamline my writing -> production if I knew which of the styles in the Band-in-a-box software match the ones I've ended up with on the Trio+ for any given song part. I could then recreate the Trio+ song quickly in BIAB.

I'm assuming here that PG Music who made the Band-in-a-box software have ported a subset of their styles direct onto the Trio+.

Any documentation here at Harmon/DigiTech to help?
    A PG Music rep told me there is no direct mapping of style between the two, but I’m skeptical.

Cheers, Rocky.

There is no direct style correlation in algorithms between the software and the Trio+ that is actually correct. We collaborated with them inasmuch as to get their algorithm into the pedal to get the Trio+ to learn and provide a style, but the real disconnect between the two is the fact the Trio+ interprets what it learns based off of a guitar signal which is not what the Band In A Box software does. So what the rep said here is more or less correct.

• Rocky1958Rocky1958 Posts: 4
    edited August 3

@HARMAN_EElde said:

There is no direct style correlation in algorithms between the software and the Trio+ that is actually correct. We collaborated with them inasmuch as to get their algorithm into the pedal to get the Trio+ to learn and provide a style, but the real disconnect between the two is the fact the Trio+ interprets what it learns based off of a guitar signal which is not what the Band In A Box software does. So what the rep said here is more or less correct.

Thanks for responding - I really appreciate it.

As I see it, sure - the Trio has a different and more sophisticated input method, but at the end of the recording, it has selected a set Genre and a Style variation - which it indicates with red LEDs. As far as I can tell, that Genre/Style combination, along with the Simple Bass, Alt Time and Part Intensity, is pretty much analogous with the software version's stye patch. I will select a few of my favorites and try to identify the closest match in the software myself.

Trio+ . . . . excellent product by the way!!

Cheers, Rocky.

• Goo69Goo69 Posts: 5
    > @Rocky1958 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Thanks for responding - I really appreciate it.
    >
    > As I see it, sure - the Trio has a different and more sophisticated input method, but at the end of the recording, it has selected a set Genre and a Style variation - which it indicates with red LEDs. As far as I can tell, that Genre/Style combination, along with the Simple Bass, Alt Time and Part Intensity, is pretty much analogous with the software version's stye patch. I will select a few of my favorites and try to identify the closest match in the software myself.
    >
    > Trio+ . . . . excellent product by the way!!
    >
    > Cheers, Rocky.

There is a solution made by enthusiasts for your request. Search for Digitech Trio Plus Audio Extraction Tool.
  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 610
    edited August 4

As of now, whatever the new iteration of the pedal is will likely have an audio file associated that can be worked with, that is where they are headed etc. As far as an update to the Trio+ for this function I'm not sure if that will be forthcoming or is possible.

edited 2:32PM

@Goo69 said:

@Rocky1958 said:

There is a solution made by enthusiasts for your request. Search for Digitech Trio Plus Audio Extraction Tool.

Very cool, thanks for the tip. I found the thread you suggested and checked the linked GitHub entry. I'm not very PC literate and I think this requires installing Python. I will follow the project but it looks like it was last updated in 2018 - hope it is further developed as this could be a really useful tool.

Anyone on here actually used this utility? Is the extracted audio in a single file? Keen to see if the MIDI data ever gets extracted at some point - looks like it was tentatively planned.

https://github.com/giveabit/Trio-Plus-Data

Cheers, Rocky

@HARMAN_EElde said:
    As of now, whatever the new iteration of the pedal is will likely have an audio file associated that can be worked with, that is where they are headed etc. As far as an update to the Trio+ for this function I'm not sure if that will be forthcoming or is possible.

Thanks - that would be an amazing step forward for an already brilliant piece of gear.
    I'll watch out for the Trio++ :)

Cheers, Rocky