Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech General Discussion

RPM-1 Tube rotary speaker simulator.

I have ordered a used one . If you dont know what it does it is a rack unit that works like a Leslie. with Right and left outs for the horn part and a center channel for the rotor part. My Question is two parts. 1 can a digitech FS3X work with it and if not what foot switch will. 2 why was this type of effect no longer made. Oh I use three amps and have not been able to find any other effect pedal or rack that will do this all the others only have Left and right outs no center even the high dollar ones.

Comments

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,102

@JaxJaxon said:
    I have ordered a used one . If you dont know what it does it is a rack unit that works like a Leslie. with Right and left outs for the horn part and a center channel for the rotor part. My Question is two parts. 1 can a digitech FS3X work with it and if not what foot switch will. 2 why was this type of effect no longer made. Oh I use three amps and have not been able to find any other effect pedal or rack that will do this all the others only have Left and right outs no center even the high dollar ones.

FS300 was the footswitch that it used in the past and the FS3X is the same functionality so the FS3X would be fine yes

• Thanks HARMAN_EEIde for the info on the foot switch. Do you know what type of volume or expression pedal works with the Continuous controller is it a TRS or plain TS type jack.

@JaxJaxon said:
    Thanks HARMAN_EEIde for the info on the foot switch. Do you know what type of volume or expression pedal works with the Continuous controller is it a TRS or plain TS type jack.

Going over the manual I do not see that a TRS is required.

• Thanks again HARMAN EElde for the answer. I found the manual on line and I didnt see any thing about the fuses it uses. I have opened up the fuses area and it has two fuses in side the the holder are both in use or is one a spare. Also is it possible to change the 12 AX 7 tube to a different rated tube like a 12 AU 7 . I havent opened the unit up to look inside yet.

@JaxJaxon said:
    Thanks again HARMAN EElde for the answer. I found the manual on line and I didnt see any thing about the fuses it uses. I have opened up the fuses area and it has two fuses in side the the holder are both in use or is one a spare. Also is it possible to change the 12 AX 7 tube to a different rated tube like a 12 AU 7 . I havent opened the unit up to look inside yet.

I am not sure on the fuses to be honest, I only have that manual too for reference. I would assume if there is contacts for each fuse they are both being used.

You can use a different tube yes, you'll change the characteristics of the tone naturally, a 12au7 might sound a little more mellow and lush compare to a 12ax7

• I will open it up to check on the tube and see whats what in side. If both fuses are in use. If there is a tube Bias trim pot. I wonder if Digi Tech has a schematic of this RPM 1. I wish they made a unit like this today. Perhaps a multi FX unit with selection of effects for the Rotor and effects for the horns that would be a good selling point. Mono, stereo or surround.

@JaxJaxon said:
    I will open it up to check on the tube and see whats what in side. If both fuses are in use. If there is a tube Bias trim pot. I wonder if Digi Tech has a schematic of this RPM 1. I wish they made a unit like this today. Perhaps a multi FX unit with selection of effects for the Rotor and effects for the horns that would be a good selling point. Mono, stereo or surround.

We are unable to send schematics to the general public, only to authorized service centers in any case, but in this instance it is moot anyways as there is no schematic that was scanned in or in any of our service documents.

Can definitely forward your impression of this unit to our product dev and marketing.

• I have hooked up the RPM 1 it works well with the FS3X foot switch. But trying to hook up a passive volume pedal did not work. You can hear the roto spin up or down very clearly . the spread on the Horns is also very good, as is the mic placement setting. the hard part is getting the input level and the bypass level the same volume. The gain stage is not doing much besides raising the volume more. It could be the tube, I will have to open it up and take a look.