Home DigiTech Forum DigiTech Software

Firmware for JamMan Solo

I have just bought a second hand JamMan Solo (not the JamMan Solo XT).

Connecting it to version 2.x of the JamManager software, it says that firmware 1.3 is available and would I like to update my device. I have done this numerous times and it does not update. The pedal still thinks it is version 1.0, at powerup the pedal displays J5 followed by 1.0 which I am assuming is the version number.

If I try and use version 1.x of the JamManager software it says the Jamman Solo requires newer firmware for compatibility with JamManager, it then tries to do something and says Update Detection Failed.

So both versions say that a newer version of the firmware is available but how can I get it?

Is there another way to update the firmware?

Best regards

Max

Comments

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,100

@mwalshe said:
    I have just bought a second hand JamMan Solo (not the JamMan Solo XT).

Connecting it to version 2.x of the JamManager software, it says that firmware 1.3 is available and would I like to update my device. I have done this numerous times and it does not update. The pedal still thinks it is version 1.0, at powerup the pedal displays J5 followed by 1.0 which I am assuming is the version number.

If I try and use version 1.x of the JamManager software it says the Jamman Solo requires newer firmware for compatibility with JamManager, it then tries to do something and says Update Detection Failed.

So both versions say that a newer version of the firmware is available but how can I get it?

Is there another way to update the firmware?

Best regards

Max

The JamMan Solo is long discontinued so I'm sure it is looking for files to update on a server that is no longer available. I'll see if I can find a manual method for it but no promises. I will let you know if I find anything (or don't for that matter)!

• mwalshemwalshe Posts: 15

I did assume that might be the case.

Fingers crossed you can come up with something.

Best regards

Max

@mwalshe said:
    I did assume that might be the case.

Fingers crossed you can come up with something.

Best regards

Max

I found version 1.3!

To do a manual reflash of the firmware, extract these files onto a SD card formatted to be read by the JamMan Solo, make sure that the files are in the Root/Top directory, not in any subfolders. With the JamMan Solo turned off, insert the SD card, the pedal should check the files and run the updater. Let me know if you have any trouble?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5FAVrA_4oW3BXWdd6JK177VMukIFqte/view?usp=sharing

Also when you are done with the manual firmware update, remove the extracted files from the microSD card root directory

Thanks for the files.

Unfortunately they don't want to load onto my JamMan Solo (not the XT version). I have formatted the card in the JamMan, then put the card into a PC and copied the files onto the card,. I then powered the JamMan Solo up with the card inserted but it it is still reporting version 1.0. Likewise, when I startup JamManager it is still reporting that v1.3 is available for my JamMan hardware.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Max

Are there different versions for the JamMan Solo and JamMan Solo XT?

The JamMan Solo XT is version 1.06 and the JamMan Solo is version 1.3. They are completely different.

After a little more digging I found the process, you have to manually delete the firmware with a file on the SD Card. Here is the procedure. Remove the files you put on your card.

File for deleting the ETFS (firmware) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pHa6Y7RzAhxI0XLgv2r9L_hgeQvZb4QC/view?usp=sharing

Follow these instructions:

1. copy “updJamManSolo” from the delete ETFS directory onto a SD card.
    2. put the card in the Unit and plug in the power.
    3. The Unit will show “1.” then “E.”

At this point, unplug the power and then remove that file from your SD Card, then add the files back from the original download:

JamMan Solo 1.3 -
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i1LMUh36yVPVEgysmnun_9GxSmvVxnS1/view?usp=sharing

The Unit will count up from 1. to 5. while it loads the new firmware, when it is done it should boot up as normal.

Well it doing something different.

So, first I onto the card containing only the "updJamManSolo" from the DeleteETFS zip file into the root directory of the SD card, there is nothing else on the card.
    When powered on with the card inserted the unit shows "5.", then "J5", and then the number of the last active slot.
    It has also deleted the "updJamManSolo" file from the SD card.
    I don't get "1." then "E."
    I then copy the files for the JamMan Solo 1.3 into the root directory of the empty SD card which is 4 files:
    72-0375-00V100.bin
    etfsimage
    updJamManSolo
    updJamManSoloTar

When powered on with the card inserted the unit shows "5.", then "J5" and then the number of the last active slot, so essentially the same as before. Looking at the SD card on the PC afterwards though, I notice that the 'updJamManSolo' file has been deleted, leaving the 3 other files.

When I repower the unit it says "J5" then "1.0" and then a slot number.

Also, connecting it to JamManager XT, it still wants to update the software to 1.3.

Best regards

Max

edited March 5

I'll have to wait til I am back in the office and can get ahold of a JamMan Solo to test it (which honestly is not gonna be anytime soon) but that's the only information I can find. The JamMan Stereo and Solo XT upgrade the firmware with no issue, but admittedly we hardly hear much in support on the regular Solo these days. If I run into anything sooner I'll let you know

Thanks for the help so far., any idea when you might get back to the office?

I have noticed that if I power the pedal on while holding down the Tempo and Store button then the device will power up in some other mode. It has "L5" (or "LS") on the screen. I can use the up button to change the display screen to "rt" and up again changes the screen to "Au" and up again changes the screen to "dP" up again takes me back to "L5".

Do you have any idea what mode I am in and what the screen values mean? I am assuming it is some kind of test mode.

If press the down arrow when "L5" is displayed it switches on all of the lights, press down arrow again it switches them off, down again it switches them back on again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Max

edited March 10

@mwalshe said:
    Thanks for the help so far., any idea when you might get back to the office?

I have noticed that if I power the pedal on while holding down the Tempo and Store button then the device will power up in some other mode. It has "L5" (or "LS") on the screen. I can use the up button to change the display screen to "rt" and up again changes the screen to "Au" and up again changes the screen to "dP" up again takes me back to "L5".

Do you have any idea what mode I am in and what the screen values mean? I am assuming it is some kind of test mode.

If press the down arrow when "L5" is displayed it switches on all of the lights, press down arrow again it switches them off, down again it switches them back on again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Max

July 1st is our return to date. Until I get my hands on one of these I can't advise other than what I have. I'll see about trying to get to the office before then but I can't give you an exact ETA when that will be. I'll reply back here when I can.

Thanks very much.

Have you managed to get hold of one of these yet?

Best regards

Max

I went to the office to look and I looked everywhere, either we do not have an old JamMan Solo and/or it was misplaced (I let my supervisor know but have not heard an update).

We all return to the office over the next month but unfortunately I do not have a solution for you on this still no. Please check back later.

Hi, has there been any more progress with this?

Best regards

Max

edited August 4

Unfortunately no. We have no model here to test with. I looked everywhere for a pedal to test with and we just do not have one anymore as far as I can tell.

Any ideas on what I might be able to do?

Thanks
    Max

@mwalshe said:
    Any ideas on what I might be able to do?

Thanks
    Max

Sorry, I have no other options to try at this point. If I run into an old pedal I'll see if I can figure it out but as of now no further suggestions to try

Well, thanks anyway.

@mwalshe said:
    Well, thanks anyway.

For sure, if something comes to light i will let you know of course.

Do you have any earlier versions of the firmware that I could try?

Perhaps 1.2 or 1.1 or something like that?

@mwalshe said:
    Do you have any earlier versions of the firmware that I could try?

All versions here for you - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mPwc00MwZ9bEvQxCepbKKY1TPVbhyU5U/view?usp=sharing

Thanks. V1.1 doesn't work when it on the card, the pedal simply turns on all of the lights and won't do anything. v1.2 and v1.3 seem to go through a loading process but when the pedal is restarted it says that 1.0 is loaded.

@mwalshe said:
    Thanks. V1.1 doesn't work when it on the card, the pedal simply turns on all of the lights and won't do anything. v1.2 and v1.3 seem to go through a loading process but when the pedal is restarted it says that 1.0 is loaded.

Yeah until I can get my hands on a Solo to try it myself I can't confirm any processes. We had one but it has disappeared, I've asked my supervisor, my co workers, everyone, no one knows what happened to it. We did move offices a few years ago so it could have gotten lost in that process. It is a very old pedal now discontinued so we have no ability to pick up another one really or have a bunch laying around. Other than what I have provided that's all I have for now. If anything changes I'll let you know. Sorry nothing conclusive more than that for now!

• kregkreg Posts: 1

Hello all,
    This is my 1st post here, just to tell you I tried to update the firmware from 1.2 to 1.3 thanks to your files and methodology, and it worked.

1. format SD card :
    • power the jamman
    • insert SD card
    • press "store" button untill "FO" is on the screen (you shall see "EL" and "Ei" before)
    • press again "store" and do not release it. The screen displays "F?" then "bu".
    • release the button "store"
    1. copy the firmware on SD card :
    • insert the SD car in your laptop. The SD card should be named "JAMMAN"
    • copy the files containing the firmware you want on SD card. ONLY the files, not the folder
    1. update the pedal
    • power off the pedal
    • insert the SD card
    • power on the pedal
    • wait for init. You should see "J5", then 1.3

I turned off and on the pedal several times, tried it. It is still in 1.3 and it works.

Hope I'm clear enough and it will works for you

@ HARMAN_EElde : many thanks for the documents and methodology

@kreg said:
    Hello all,
    This is my 1st post here, just to tell you I tried to update the firmware from 1.2 to 1.3 thanks to your files and methodology, and it worked.

1. format SD card :
    • power the jamman
    • insert SD card
    • press "store" button untill "FO" is on the screen (you shall see "EL" and "Ei" before)
    • press again "store" and do not release it. The screen displays "F?" then "bu".
    • release the button "store"
    1. copy the firmware on SD card :
    • insert the SD car in your laptop. The SD card should be named "JAMMAN"
    • copy the files containing the firmware you want on SD card. ONLY the files, not the folder
    1. update the pedal
    • power off the pedal
    • insert the SD card
    • power on the pedal
    • wait for init. You should see "J5", then 1.3

I turned off and on the pedal several times, tried it. It is still in 1.3 and it works.

Hope I'm clear enough and it will works for you

@ HARMAN_EElde : many thanks for the documents and methodology

Glad you got it to work, thanks for the update.

Hi Kreg,

Thanks for the input. I have followed your procedure and I still get v1.0 at the end.

The card only contains the following files in the root directory:
    72-0375-00V100.bin
    etfsimage
    updJamManSolo
    updJamManSoloTar

When I power on the pedal with the card inserted I get the following:
    The green light illuminates.
    '5.' appears on the screen and the green light is turned off.
    It disappears and the light re-illuminates green.
    'After a few seconds J5' appears on the screen followed by '1.0'
    The green light goes off and '1' (loop number) appears on the screen.

The pedal also deletes the updJamManSolo file from the card.

Is this similar to what you do?

Thanks

Max