Home DigiTech Products

Which amp is standard for rp360 xp amp mode output in order to keep precise tone models?

Hi all!
RP360 xp has several internal good amps and cabinet models, which mimics the tones of real amps when connected to reference speakers in mixer output mode. I use a lot of them and as an amateur guitarist I'm satisfied with the huge set of possibilities that this device offer.
Okay, but in the real world, almost all the time my rp360 xp is connected to different real guitar amplifier models, and certainly there are a huge difference in tonal response between them. Of course, the original tones i stored in my rp360 xp will vary as function of the real amp I connect to it, even if I put its output in amp mode. This variation is not convenient for me at all.
Well, I suppose Digitech's must had designed his "amp mode" taking some real guitar amp as "standard", and somehow "compensate" its response inside the rp360, so the models i used in my patches could be heard as they are when connected to reference speakers and mixer output mode.
So, my question is...
Which REAL amp brands and/or models has a standard tone response for rp360xp amp mode output in order to keep precise tone response of all gear models inside rp360? And how do I have to set its control knobs to achieve this standard response?

Answers

• The Amp mode vs Mixer is an EQ voicing. When going directly into a mixer or front of house, the Mixer setting allows it to sound more like a guitar amp/speaker cabinet. When in Amp Mode you are relying more on a natural guitar amplifier sound and the EQ voicing is not applied.

The effects and amp models of course will affect the sound you are hearing via a guitar amplifier

• acubaacuba Posts: 11

I am also very interested in what settings I shoud use in my VOX AD15VT...

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 617

@acuba said:
    I am also very interested in what settings I shoud use in my VOX AD15VT...

I can't really recommend any specific settings for specific equipment but the RP360 has a lot of effects that can be used with a wide array of amps and equipment out there in multiple scenarios. I guess you have to determine what you are using the RP360 for, tone emulation of popular artists, simple FX switching, recording, practice, all of the above? It just really depends, getting familiar with it and how it works would be the first step. I would recommend downloading the manual as well and starting there. The more hands on you get with it, the better you'll understand how to utilize it.

https://www.digitech.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw80b6a276/pdfs/DigiTech_RP360-RP360XP_Manual_5041674-B.pdf

@HARMAN_EElde looks like you did not copied my message...I read manual, there are no words about how to setup amplifier and whuch amplifier is better for use with that particular model

@acuba said:
    @HARMAN_EElde looks like you did not copied my message...I read manual, there are no words about how to setup amplifier and whuch amplifier is better for use with that particular model

I can't really give you specific amp models to use with that particular model, it has never been tested by us and I don't have access to that amplifier or equipment. You will need to experiment on your own with that and use your own ears to judge what amp models sound best for your equipment

@HARMAN_EElde said:

@acuba said:

I can't really give you specific amp models to use with that particular model, it has never been tested by us and I don't have access to that amplifier or equipment. You will need to experiment on your own with that and use your own ears to judge what amp models sound best for your equipment

so you want me to buy all amps in this world to test?
    its COVID19 times! all shops and showrooms are closed for very long times! only way to het an amp is to buy it and that's why I ask such a serious question

• mgarciamgarcia Posts: 6
    edited May 21

Hello again.
    Please let me drive this discussion to another level...
    I will ask another question that may lead us to have a better answer to my original question at this thread.
    Please all of you feel free to answer in an more technical language, we're not children anymore, correct?
    So, here we go, my question is:
    What does exactly the "amp output mode" does to the audio signal? It applies a convolution with an impulse response? It applies a non-linear function? It applies an digital FIR or IIR filter? Whatever it does, could you supply us with its parameters? Or at least, inform from were its filter was designed (From a real amp? Which one?).
    If someone can answer, please do no hesitate to share it with us.
    Kind regards

• mgarciamgarcia Posts: 6

Hello again!
    Please let me drive this discussion to a more technical level.
    What does the "amp output mode" actually do to the audio signal? It convolutes the signal with an impulse response? It applies a non-linear function? It apllies an IIR or FIR filter? Whatever it does, could someone supply us with its parametes? Or at least inform from where those parameters were designed (From a real amp? Which one?)

@acuba said:

@HARMAN_EElde said:

@acuba said:

so you want me to buy all amps in this world to test?
    its COVID19 times! all shops and showrooms are closed for very long times! only way to het an amp is to buy it and that's why I ask such a serious question

No, I am not asking you to purchase every amp to test with - when I say Amp Models, I am talking about the Amplifiers available on the RP360 itself. If you are looking for a specific recommendation of what amplifier to utilize the RP360XP I still do not have a specific amp to suggest as we have not tested every amp either, BUT, it should be able to be used with any amplifier out there on the market just fine. Again, it is a Multi FX Processor and is not designed for any specific amplifier but rather that it can be used with the amp that you already have, you do not need to buy a specific amp to use this product as you can use use different amp models ON THE PROCESSOR, to change the tone of the amp you have. Does that make more sense?

@mgarcia said:
    Hello again!
    Please let me drive this discussion to a more technical level.
    What does the "amp output mode" actually do to the audio signal? It convolutes the signal with an impulse response? It applies a non-linear function? It apllies an IIR or FIR filter? Whatever it does, could someone supply us with its parametes? Or at least inform from where those parameters were designed (From a real amp? Which one?)

Yes there is a Cabinet IR that is applied to the signal. Also you cannot load custom IR's to the RP360 only the ones that it comes with. The Amp Models and Cabinet IR responses were recorded and tested in a studio based off of the actual amplifiers and cabinets that are listed. Of course you can bypass Amp Models and Cabinet IR's on the processor as well.

You can download the manual for a full list of the Amp Models and Cabinets listed:
    https://www.digitech.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw80b6a276/pdfs/DigiTech_RP360-RP360XP_Manual_5041674-B.pdf

Question is how to avoid situation that all basic amps have own amp simulation, not able to turn it off as no separate port to bypass those amp. So I want to be sure that I will not encounter into situation that processor pluged into another processor

@acuba said:
    Question is how to avoid situation that all basic amps have own amp simulation, not able to turn it off as no separate port to bypass those amp. So I want to be sure that I will not encounter into situation that processor pluged into another processor

You can turn the Amp Models/Cabinets off on the RP360 and it will pass the signal unaltered to your Amp then.

> @HARMAN_EElde said:
    > (Quote)
    > You can turn the Amp Models/Cabinets off on the RP360 and it will pass the signal unaltered to your Amp then.

Actually I am interested in getting best sound from 360, but afraid that unsupported guitar combo will destroy thus sound...

Sounds like it would be best for you to try to experiment with the sounds from the RP360 then? I don't know any other way to put it. We're getting more into the hypothetical of IF it will work for you, which I can't say honestly.

You may want to find a retailer that has a good return policy for you, buy the RP360 and then try it, if you do not like the sound of the Amp Models with your equipment or cannot dial it in to your liking, then you can return it?

Thank you, will try.

• For me, practicing at home thru head phones, amp and speaker sims are fun. For live rehearsal and gigs I go direct with no speaker cab sim. I have a really nice sounding amp :)

• tekoreitekorei Posts: 2
    I think that the best way to use the amp and cab sims should be connecting the RP 360 to a Full Range Flat Response amp or speaker. For home use, maybe even a not so tiny bluetooth speaker with an aux in, there are some ones with a dedicated guitar in, like JBL Partybox, or home stereos.