Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Panel dropped offline

Hi everyone
I'm hoping it was a power glitch that sent one of my panels into lock up but I was wondering if anyone has had a Modero (CV7) panel drop offline for no real reason? I have both the controller and the panel plugged to the same switch so even if the network goes down they should still be able to talk to each other.

Comments

• Options
    ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    make sure the Latest firmware is in the CV7.

How long is the Network run from your CV7 to the Switch? Have you re-terminated the Cat-5? Is it Kinked?

Overall, I've had excellent results with the wired Ethernet panels. cant think of any that dropped off the network without being Broken or a cableing issue.

Make sure your Power supply is adequet. I had one system that was at the virge of the Power Supplies and did have a couple CV7's exibit some strange behavior. Once I added some more PS, the system becamse rock Solid.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Check also both are with fixed IP so they are not dependant of an external DHCP server.

Something also, check that your program (if it uses IP sockets for control or whatever) is not exhausting all IP sockets of your master, preventing than the Modero to connect through IP to the master !

Vinc
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    The CAT5 run is 15', I have a PSN6.5 running the CV7, NI3000 and a VOL3. The master and panel have static IP's assigned to them on my own subnet and are hooked to the same switch. I have the panels IP listed as an URL in the master and the panel is set to URL rather then auto mode. The power cable to panel is also 15' and is 18 guage. Once rebooted they panel came back online and seems fine. I am hoping its a building power glitch during a full moon thing.
  • Options
    Panel dropped offline

If you put the panel in the URL list of the master you should have the panel in listen mode. In this configuration the panel is listening for the master to initiate the IP connection.

I recommend removing the panel from the URL list and putting the panel in URL mode. Several advantages here. When the NetLinx system is on a DHCP network only the master needs a static IP. When configured this way the master is the server and the panels are clients. It does not matter what the IP address of the panel is. It simply look for the masters IP you have listed in the master IP adress of the panels system setup page.

Rex
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've had CV-12's drop offline and lock up (TCP-wise) regularly. Strangely enough, even power cycling sometimes would not bring them back on, they had to be soft-booted after the power was restored.

I have not had this difficulty on that particular project since I assigned all my panels static IP addresses, as well as the masters. There seems to be some sort of issue with lease renewals with some DHCP servers. Taking that out of the chain resolved the difficulty. It's a bit more of a pest to maintain the network, but it works much better for me.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll try to remove the URL from the master. :)
  • Options
    While on the subject, what is the general recommanded practice in regards to the masters and panels. Panels 'URL' to the master IP or the panel 'listen' to the master with the panels URL in the master?
  • Options
    I've never put a panel's URL into the master. I didn't think that was a requirement in any mode, including "listen".

I've always either used "URL" on the panel with static IP addressing, or in my shop when I feel brave about having all the gear on DHCP, I've used "Auto" and just put the master's system number in.

- Chip
  • Options
    My standard procedure now is to put the panel in URL mode, and give it a static IP, and the master as well; then I put the master's IP in the connect field on the panel. I have had decent luck using the method that asks you to put the system number in as well. I have also used the Auto mode in a job with only one master.

I don't know that any is inherently better all the time, but the more chances you give something to go wrong, the more likely it will.
  • Options
    I've spent a great deal of time investigating AMX ethernet and wi-fi issues over the last few months and have seen several situations with panels falling offline and/or failing to (re)connect. When you say that the panel was 'locked up' do you mean that it was completely inoperable or was simply not associating with the master? Also, which versions of firmware is in the CV7 and master?
  • Options
    The panel was completely inoperable. The tech onsite had to hard boot the panel. The firmware I believe was 2.57.53 ? I'll have to check this one out. I wasn't the tech onsite so I was not able to see if the panel had dropped offline from the master or locked up itself.
  • Options
    Okay I thought I had this issue fixed with the latest firmware change but yesterday a panel dropped offline and had to be hard killed before it would work again. Anyone still having issues?
  • Options
    ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    Since the last reply to this thread I've done about a dozen or so ethernet panels and the only time I had an issue it turned out to be a bad network switch. About half of those were 8400's, a CV10, some CV7's and a 17 I'm playing with in the office right now. (THis 17" is awesome...)
  • Options
    This could be the issue, what type of switch are you using? These panels give one of the best images I've seen but the problem dropping off line is driving me nuts.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I haven't had any problems recently. In fact, I have one installation where the touchpanels are in different buildings than the processor and some of them are seperated by almost a half mile. They have been working without any dropping offline issues for atleast 3 months.

TKN
  • Options
    Panels failing to reconnect to masters

Hi everyone

Happy New Year (seems like ages ago!)

I last posted here back on 10th October while I was still working for the UK distributor (I'm now freelance again).

I've been seeing something like this happen (mostly with wireless panels but also much less frequently with wired panels) for over 12 months now. While I was still working for RGB Communications, I had the head of the firmware development team visit a couple of sites with me here in London (November).

Though it's difficult to induce 'on demand' I was able to demonstrate a situation whereby the master would refuse a connection from a panel (we managed to do this by wandering in and out of range of a WAP with three MVP7500s - it took us only around 10 minutes to get a result). What I was not able to demonstrate during the visit, but WAS able to remotely about a week later, was a similar situation whereby a panel loses connection with the master somehow and will then NEVER reconnect until that master has been rebooted. I've had clients report that their panels have stopped working for days at a time.

The problem appears to be at the master end of things (it may turn out to have something to do with panel firmware as well, but it DEFINITELY implicates the master). If a device goes offline without actually sending a message to the master to confirm this (e.g. it loses power or is unplugged) then the master SHOULD automatically generate an OFFLINE event after a short period of time (and run any associated code). However, this does not always seem to occur and on a number of occasions I have found that opening a telnet session to the master and enabling messaging ('MSG ON'), I will then see either or both of the following messages?

?Socket transmit timed out on broadcast msg, socket closed (19)?

followed by?

?Ignoring/closing connection from IP 192.168.1.101 (Duplicate of Device=10001:1:0)?

Note - When both occur together they alternate every few seconds and repeat continuously.The socket number, IP address and device number obviously depends on which panel is failing to reconnect.

Rebooting the panel causes these messages to cease only until the panel has finished initialising after which they resume. Only rebooting the master resolves the issue.

If you see this, try temporarily changing the device number of the panel and rebooting it WITHOUT rebooting the master - you should find it connects ok proving your cabling, wireless LAN, etc. Restoring the original settings, again without restarting the master, should cause the error to resume.

I'm not sure why a panel would go offline in the first place but when it happens and it doesn't come back, this is something to look for.

Unfortunately, this situation has continued with a beta firmware revision left with me at the end of November. Since then I?ve given the development guys remote access to three separate sites so as they could monitor the situation. I understand that they were able to get some useful data as a result and so I guess we're just going to have to wait and see if the next official firmware release fixes the problem. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    I had a similar issue with a 7400 last week. It quit working and found that the wireless connection would not reconnect without rebooting the master. I could take it to another area (another access point) and it would reconnect. Moving back to the original access point and it still worked.

I thought fluke and let it be. It went out a few days later again. I checked the log this time and found that it was going out at least once an hour, anywhere from 15 minutes to 3-4 days. It would always eventually come back.

Even though my access points don't make it outside of the house, I checked for other networks. There was some form of 'uber' network on the same channel as mine. The next closest house is like 200 feet away! I was getting better signal on it rather then sitting right next to my access point.

Anyway, I changed channels and the problem hasn't returned.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    I have had a similar problem with 3 MVP7500's on one of my jobs, they are set up all static IP's with connection set to URL with the masters static IP entered. The panels will show that they are connected to the master and NetLinx studio will show the panels in the online tree but the system does not respond to any button presses and no feedback is sent to the panel. Usually rebooting the master fixes it for a short period of time but it seems to happen quite often... is my only hope a future firmware release?
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    I've had just about every type of ethernet panel drop offline at different sites. The only thing I found that works is to switch the ethernet mode/speed switch from Auto to 10/half, or some manual speed setting - that seems to keep them from dropping.
  • Options
    Thx for the tip John. If they start dropping offline again I'll give it a try. I did a little code re-write and made sure to tie all open ends up so the panel would not have to make any decisions other than what the programs says.
  • Options
    JohnMichnr wrote:
    I've had just about every type of ethernet panel drop offline at different sites. The only thing I found that works is to switch the ethernet mode/speed switch from Auto to 10/half, or some manual speed setting - that seems to keep them from dropping.

Are you refering to the Master? I set the mode to 10 half on the master a long time ago and still have issues, can you change the panel setting? I thought that I had read somewhere that you shouldn't change the panel setting.
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    Yes I was talking about the panel setting - I have forgotten which menu but I believe it is with the ethernet settings. This was a recomendation by tech support and it has worked every time I tried it.
  • Options
    Ed Martin.. Have you been able to come up with a fix for your system? I am currently dealing with the exact same thing, the wireless panels go offline but the Master and NetLinx Studio both show that the panel is online. In this situation the panel is completely useless and the only way to fix it is to reboot the Master. It is extremely aggravating that the system overall works flawlessly, every hard wired in wall panel works without a hitch, but after having exhausted almost every other fix, still can't get them to stay operational for more than a day at the most at a time.
  • Options
    cma wrote:
    Ed Martin.. Have you been able to come up with a fix for your system? I am currently dealing with the exact same thing, the wireless panels go offline but the Master and NetLinx Studio both show that the panel is online. In this situation the panel is completely useless and the only way to fix it is to reboot the Master. It is extremely aggravating that the system overall works flawlessly, every hard wired in wall panel works without a hitch, but after having exhausted almost every other fix, still can't get them to stay operational for more than a day at the most at a time.

I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like this particular problem is code based. Open up Diagnostics and turn on all the event notifications for one of these panels, then monitor for traffic. Wireless communications is inherently slower than wired, so excess notifications are more likely to be an issue than with wired panels. Any duplicate event that is generated more than once a second is too much, but not likely to casue trouble; but I have seen events fire 50+ times a second and bring a system to its knees.
  • Options
    LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    the real reason for network failures

i how now proven that AMX controllers have a flaw in their network services.

my report on this has been passed along to my suppliers, who have verified this finding. i expect it is being passed along the chain to AMX as i write. it needs paramont attention.

i strongly recommend that we all stop chasing our tail until AMX addresses the issue.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    i how now proven that AMX controllers have a flaw in their network services.

my report on this has been passed along to my suppliers, who have verified this finding. i expect it is being passed along the chain to AMX as i write. it needs paramont attention.

i strongly recommend that we all stop chasing our tail until AMX addresses the issue.

hmm... I've seen this post before...

Can you describe this flaw and what kinds of projects it might effect, so as to be more helpful to us?
  • Options
    LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    i didn't want to go to far with this till i get something back from amx.

but, the symptom i can recreate is related to DNS lookups.

my example is.. one network service is Max, and the comms module polls Max something like every 30 seconds. that's fine.

now, create an IPCLIENT, and get it to try to open a connection, with a URL that requires a DNS lookup. get it to try every minute or so to connect. prove it can connect if you like, but it doesn't need to.

now, if you disable access to the DNS server (which can happen when internet connections fail) or provide an invalid DNS server address in the controller, you can create the following condition...

while the controller is waiting for the DNS reply (which will timeout as it can't find it) other network services begin to log-jam. when the timeout finally occurs for this DNS request, it will report to the controller that it had an error, that's fine. but then the error impacts on the other network service, which is on a different port number and didn't require a DNS response. the other network service then may get corrupted (in my case is does corrupt the comms module) and so any future requests to the comms module will be unreliable.

i think that this is just a symptom, not the actual fault, of intermittent network errors. a more thorough check of other services are probably needed. but this error i am reporting can be regenerated time and time again.

i tend to wonder if the problem is also in panels, where a DNS request for a dynamic image may be returning an error.
  • Options
    i've taken a look at DNS errors for panels. as far as i can see there is none. so an assumption i made thinking the error would affect panels can be discounted.

(i setup a local live dynamic image (IP address) at 5 second updates, then setup another dynamic image that required a DNS lookup. i then disabled access to the DNS server from the panel. the image that required DNS didn't impact the image that was fed from the local ip number).
  • Options
    Ok, I just installed several panels again this year and 1 day of class I have 2 that are dropping offline all the time, a hard reboot fixes the problem. Has anyone been able to isolate the problem. Frustrated and mad.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I feel your pain, Thomas. Last week I was working on a job where one of the MVP-8400s decided to drop offline and never came back. Rebooting the TP did nothing. Rebooting the NI master did nothing. Removing and then replacing the batteries did nothing. The MVP was connected to the wireless network and had excellent signal strength. I could ping the MVP but nothing I did could make it connect to the master. The settings were identical to another MVP (except for the Device ID and IP) that was connected just fine.

I then tried to connect to different master with still no luck. As a last resort the firmware was reloaded (via USB since it couldn?t connect to a master) and abracadabra, the MVP connected. Go figure?