Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Any way to send SMS from netlinx controller?

Hi

I am looking for a solution to send SMS and Email from netlinx controller.

Thanks,

Ady

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    adys wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for a solution to send SMS and Email from netlinx controller.

Thanks,

Ady

Both are pretty easy using the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi and there's now the built in SMTP function in Netlinx but I don't know if that's working yet.
  • Options
    adysadys Posts: 395
    Thanks, but I don't know what you are talking about :)

What is the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi and where can I found it?

And how is the SMS working?
  • Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I've had great success using push notification services for that type of thing. Specifically 'Pushover'. They have a RESTful API that's easy to implement, and doesn't require a paid SMS account etc.
  • Options
    nickm wrote: »
    I've had great success using push notification services for that type of thing. Specifically 'Pushover'. They have a RESTful API that's easy to implement, and doesn't require a paid SMS account etc.

thanks!

I found this example in their site, how can I post it in netlinx?
    can someon give me a direction how to post it this?

POST /1/messages.json
    Host: api.pushover.net
    Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    Content-Length: 180

token=KzGDORePKggMaC0QOYAMyEEuzJnyUi&user=e9e1495ec75826de5983cd1abc8031&device=droid4&title=Backup+finished+-+SQL1&message=Backup+of+database+%22example%22+finished+in+16+minutes.
  • Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    For a primer on HTTP Get/Post commands, you can check out my open source module for the Boxee Box/XBMC. I feel as though it's pretty well commented to guide you through the steps of opening a socket, sending an HTTP string, and closing the socket.

https://github.com/nickmil/BoxeeBox

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You can also send an email to. Most carriers that will then send a SMS to people. Just google it.
  • Options
    Thanks, but I don't know what you are talking about :)

What is the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi and where can I found it?

And how is the SMS working?
    i! Equipmentmonitor is the old way to send email and SMS the way eric mentioned using your email carrier. It's an AMX .axi file and here's a link that details its use. I think the code is also in the ref.

http://www.amx.com//assets/manuals/0332549.pdf

The SMTP function that's now part of the Netlinx system should do this just by calling the built in functions and passing in the appropriate paremeters. Last time I tried it it didn't work and since I've been using i! equipmentmonitor for email I just gave up on the new functions and stuck with that. I think it's been fixed in the current Netlinx firmware so you could try it or maybe review threads about it and see where it stands.

Edit:
    I looked at the link and it doesn't have the .axi code just instructions and snippets. Search around and you should find it or post again for someone to link it for you.
  • Options
    After looking at the link I posted again there's allot of crap in the link that you don't need like a PC that I guess is supposed to run a local mail server. All you need is to include the i!EquipmentmonitorOut.axi and give it a few params for your internet mail server for your ISP's mail server or whoever. You may have to find a compatable provider though since not all email servers can be used.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Perhaps solution we developed a while ago will interest you ?*http://www.domedia.net/Produit/Produit/-Prod-iDSms.html

Sorry for publicity but I think its pretty relevant to your question ;)
  • Options
    vincen wrote: »
    Perhaps solution we developed a while ago will interest you ?*http://www.domedia.net/Produit/Produit/-Prod-iDSms.html

Sorry for publicity but I think its pretty relevant to your question ;)

No English in the site?
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    No English in the site?
    nope sorry we are changing the english part but Google translate should help you or send me pm here ;)
  • Options
    Here's the really old school include. it works pretty well though.

It's sort of the predecessor to the equipment monitor file they are talking about.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    For sending SMS the simplest approach is to either use a web service or an email to SMS gateway service. For getting the email side up and going others have already posted useful suggestions above. So to counter that...

You could purchase an old phone from eBay. Remove the keypad and wire it to your relays then use these to activate the key actions. Place all code to drive this in rube_goldberg_sms_gateway.axs.
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    For sending SMS the simplest approach is to either use a web service or an email to SMS gateway service. For getting the email side up and going others have already posted useful suggestions above. So to counter that...

You could purchase an old phone from eBay. Remove the keypad and wire it to your relays then use these to activate the key actions. Place all code to drive this in rube_goldberg_sms_gateway.axs.

:D
    That solution is too "one off". If the phone fails then you're stuck with a complicated rewrite. I say build a jig that holds the phone (any phone) and use solenoid actuators to actually push the keys.

Here again code and pictures must be posted.
  • Options
    ericmedley wrote: »
    That solution is too "one off". If the phone fails then you're stuck with a complicated rewrite. I say build a jig that holds the phone (any phone) and use solenoid actuators to actually push the keys.

Yeah but then if the phone craps out you have to re-write to match the x,y postioning of the actuator to the phones buttons. You'd be better off with voice control and then just ensure replacements are from the same country, same language.
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    ericmedley wrote: »

This definitely needs old school M2M. Use the first master to click a relay, sending the digits morse code to an I/O port on the processor/phone/solenoid rig.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Don't forget you also need to accommodate touchscreen based phones. It may be worth popping a raspberry Pi in there to do some basic computer vision and align an xyz head so that you can actuate both physical buttons and touch interfaces. Just don't put it in front of an AMX touch screen hooked up to the same master, you may end up creating an infinite loop.
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    You guys are crazy.

I have done it from a serial port talking to a Sierra AirLink GX400 modem.
    The modem housed a sim card and I just had to send serial strings to it.
    The protocol was easy too: "'Phone <mobile number> <message>',$0d,$0a"
    Incoming SMS was the same format.

I'd love to get a router that supports a USB 4G LTE modem and talk IP directly to it but trying to google how to do it hasn't been successful.
  • Options
    champ wrote: »
    You guys are crazy.

I have done it from a serial port talking to a Sierra AirLink GX400 modem.
    The modem housed a sim card and I just had to send serial strings to it.
    The protocol was easy too: "'Phone <mobile number> <message>',$0d,$0a"
    Incoming SMS was the same format.

I'd love to get a router that supports a USB 4G LTE modem and talk IP directly to it but trying to google how to do it hasn't been successful.

This is a very good idea. Nice!
  • Options
    PUSHOVER
    thanks!

I found this example in their site, how can I post it in netlinx?
    can someon give me a direction how to post it this?

POST /1/messages.json
    Host: api.pushover.net
    Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    Content-Length: 180

token=KzGDORePKggMaC0QOYAMyEEuzJnyUi&user=e9e1495ec75826de5983cd1abc8031&device=droid4&title=Backup+finished+-+SQL1&message=Backup+of+database+%22example%22+finished+in+16+minutes.

Did you ever Get this to work?
    I get an error Bad Command when trying to POST To the site.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    vining wrote: »
    Both are pretty easy using the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi and there's now the built in SMTP function in Netlinx but I don't know if that's working yet.

Does anyone have the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi with all of the files intact?

I'd like to try it out.
  • Options
    cmason wrote: »
    Does anyone have the !EquipmentmonitorOut.axi with all of the files intact?

I'd like to try it out.

Nevermind. I just looked at the PDF. I thought it had SMS capabilities. I was more interested in the SMS portion.
  • Options
    SMS is just sending an email to the phone number + carrier handler. Just substitute this where you would normally put the mail to email address.

List per carrier.
    http://www.emailtextmessages.com

Verizon would be:
    10digitphonenumber@vtext.com
  • Options
    vining wrote: »
    SMS is just sending an email to the phone number + carrier handler. Just substitute this where you would normally put the mail to email address.

List per carrier.
    http://www.emailtextmessages.com

Verizon would be:
    10digitphonenumber@vtext.com

Yes, I guess I knew you could that. Just thought there might be a more direct way of doing it.

Thanks for the compiled list though. Very helpful!
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    cmason wrote: »
    Just thought there might be a more direct way of doing it.

You mean like this.

http://www.arocom.ch/arocom/media/arocom2011_produkte/documents/ARO-SMS-GSM_E.pdf

Can't get much more direct.

Pros
    - Can still send alerts for critical systems if the failure cause is the network going down.

Cons
    - You'll need to pay ongoing costs for a mobile data plan and get a SIM card for it.
  • Options
    bcdbcd Posts: 2
    i!-EquipmentMonitor and ME260/64

Hi, I am trying to use the i!-EquipmentMonitorOut with a ME260/64 in a NXI controller to send SMS alerts. It works fine in a NI-3100 or NI-4100 , but not with the ME260/64 (latest firmware installed) in either NXI or NXF frame. I don't have enough rack space for a 2RU device so I was trying to use a NXI controller with a ME260/64 processor.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks,
  • Options
    bcd wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to use the i!-EquipmentMonitorOut with a ME260/64 in a NXI controller to send SMS alerts. It works fine in a NI-3100 or NI-4100 , but not with the ME260/64 (latest firmware installed) in either NXI or NXF frame. I don't have enough rack space for a 2RU device so I was trying to use a NXI controller with a ME260/64 processor.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks,

You might try the older email include I posted earlier in the thread. It was the progenitor of the iEqupment Monitor version. But, I know no reason why it shouldn't work on the ME260/64. It's not duet and there's nothing magical about it. It may have to do with the limited memory available and however much your program is hogging. You can also run a telnet session to the master and run MSG ON and watch to see if you are getting any errors when the !i-Equipment tries to send an email. that might give you a clue.
  • Options
    bcdbcd Posts: 2
    Thank you Eric,

I have tried downloading the i!-EmailOut.axi‎ include file, but it only shows as an attachment.php which does not open a webpage? A search of the AMX website comes up blank. Can you send me the file at bcd@wucf.org. Thanks, Bruce