Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

AMX In-Ceiling Wi-Fi Antenna

Who has used these? I have some projects coming up where placing a few of these in the ceiling is stategic locations would be a great idea.... If it works....

What kind of Range have you gotten?

Where are you placing the actual ACcess Point? I'd like to put all the AP's int he basement for service and just run RG-??? to the antennas.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Impaqt wrote:
    Who has used these? I have some projects coming up where placing a few of these in the ceiling is stategic locations would be a great idea.... If it works....

What kind of Range have you gotten?

Where are you placing the actual ACcess Point? I'd like to put all the AP's int he basement for service and just run RG-??? to the antennas.

Thanks

Never done it this way. Did it several times with wireless microphones and that works great but at a distance of let's say 20 feet between receiver and antenna. You should use RG-58 cable that's for sure. Be aware that the wap are diversity receivers so i don't know what the impact is of putting the antenna's to far from the wap. You could give it a try in a test case. Maybe you should think about some amplifing between cable and WAP.
    Good luck
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've used the external antenna, and it made significant improvements in my range; it was a small house, so I can't tell you how far out it went, but I went from about 50% coverage to full saturation. It looks like a piece of junk - just a PC board basically, with some extended lands on it. But it really did the job. I put it in the attic and lay it down right on the sheetrock below the insulation. It is somewhat directional - on a 180 degree plane - but I give the thing a thumbs up.
  • Options
    I've done a fair bit of work with Wi-Fi 2.4ghz etc, my top tip would be to keep the cable between AP and antenna as short as possible, as that is where you make large amounts of signal loss. Even a 3ft cable would cause a lot of loss, ideally, place the AP's right above the antenna.