Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Been 17 years with IR Edit...

Can we just get a new software to handle IR Files? Preferably one written for an OS in the last decade?

It is such an annoying pain in the butt. Yes it runs on some Windows 10 PCs and not others, but WHY does a piece of software need to be so difficult to install, operate, and maintain? Especially when it used so infrequently?

For the last decade or so there have been posts littering the forum about problems installing IR Edit on Winnoze 7, 8, 10, and now 11.

Even if it's the esteemed Eric Medley (ericmedley) solution, Let's do something about this (You are still missed madman):

"I just installed it on my Windoze 10 machine using "XP Service Pack 2" compatiblity mode. It seems to work and all the usual functions behave. (No crashes yet)
I tried copy/paste of IR channels as well as copy/paste hex from my USB IR Capture device.
All seems to wirk.

IREdit is one of those apps that I don't seem to use much nowadays. But, when you do need it it's a bear since there is really no other way to get IR into a machine.

I realize that AMX probably doesn't want to spend a ton of resources on such an old piece of software. But, for heaven's sake, at least give us the ability to send a command from Netlinx directly to the IR port to send the hex values of the IR File. I don't mind managing them in code."

Comments

• You should report this to Harman Technical Support directly. The more TSC numbers they get about this, the higher it should come in priority.

The tool itself is not that bad, and got also installed on Win11 with some tweaks, but at least it should be recompiled to get away from that stoneold .NET 1.1 requirement.

• Stay tuned...

• new IRIS2 and IREDIT2 announced/released:
    https://www.amx.com/en-US/products/iredit2

• feddxfeddx Posts: 167

HUZZAH!!

And there was much rejoicing!!

• Eric YoungEric Young Posts: 15

Unfortunately the program cannot be loaded. I get "Setup Error! Could not read setup package!"
    Notice the exclamation points!

• Marc ScheibeinMarc Scheibein Posts: 798
    edited July 2023

IREdit2 installed and started on my Win11 64bit Professional German. Have no IRIS2 yet for functional testing

Requirement is Windows10 64bit or higher... and by the manual is is programmed in Python...

• sling100sling100 Posts: 123

does small dance

• Can't we just find a new software to handle these IR Files? I mean, come on, it's the 21st century! Why does this piece of software have to be such a pain in the ass to install, use, and keep up with? And to top it off, we hardly even use it!IREdit is one of those apps that we hardly use anymore, but when we do need it, it's a damn nightmare!
    Maybe I get it, AMX probably doesn't want to invest a ton of resources in an ancient piece of software. But for crying out loud, at least give us the ability to send a command from Netlinx directly to the IR port and send those hex values. I wouldn't mind managing them in the code myself!

• @yowhatsapp said:
    Can't we just find a new software to handle these IR Files? I mean, come on, it's the 21st century! Why does this piece of software have to be such a pain in the ass to install, use, and keep up with? And to top it off, we hardly even use it!IREdit is one of those apps that we hardly use anymore, but when we do need it, it's a damn nightmare!
    Maybe I get it, AMX probably doesn't want to invest a ton of resources in an ancient piece of software. But for crying out loud, at least give us the ability to send a command from Netlinx directly to the IR port and send those hex values. I wouldn't mind managing them in the code myself!

Regarding IREdit1.. well, yes, it is old, and it needs little tweeking to install on latest OS, but once it is installed (how often will it be installed again and again btw...), it does its job. And in meantime, it is pretty rare that IR remotes need to be captured...
    Find my solution for installation here:
    https://proforums.harman.com/amx/discussion/138626/iredit-installation-problems

Did you already had a look at IREdit2?
    Yes, it doesn't support the old IRIS, and yes, it doesn't have a database function like IREdit1, but imho otherwise in most projects and their backups, the IR files are backed up as individual files, not as database, so it doesn't matter that no database function is included. And getting IR files out of the IREdit database, you can uses also NetLinx Studio.
    And regarding the new IRIS2, in comparison to the old IRIS, it is very compact, works with USB directly, and doesn't need external power supply.

Just my 0.02$