Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

AMX Muse

@HARMAN_Chris is there any chance of being part of the Muse beta program if we are based in Europe?

Comments

• Options

What is the 'Muse beta program'? :o

• Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154
    Next generation AMX controllers
  • Options

• Options
    HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 598

@Duncan Ellis - I would encourage you to apply. I am not familiar with any restrictions on who can participate in the program.

• Options

@Duncan Ellis said:
    Next generation AMX controllers

And next generation software I assume? Else there wouldn't be much to beta test

Anyway, I just filled in the registration form. We'll see.

• Options
    You can use Python, so i believe
  • Options
    Where is the application form??
  • Options

@Duncan Ellis said:
    Where is the application form??

Just scan the QR code in the photo that Marc posted...

• Options

@Duncan Ellis said:

Really? that would be so great. I thought they were going with Javascript.
    I'm already amazed that anything seems to happen, to be honest B)

• Options
    If it works like i suspect it does, I think a lot of people will move from craptron
  • Options

At the same time, a lot of people will get in sudden death because the inability to start learning a new code language?

What about them ? Will AMX Muse be compatible with the traditional NetLinx language ?

• Options

From what I understand, Netlinx will still be sold in parallel. How long that will be for I've no idea

Perhaps one of the Harman mods can pitch in here

• Options

@Ducan correct. MUSE is a completely new platform, it will not support NetLinx language, but it will communicate by the ICSP protocol to existing NetLinx devices. If you need/want to communicate between a Muse and a NX controller, you may have to program a client/server communication.

The NX platform will still be available for "classic" NetLinx, it is not going obsolete, afaik the NX platform even will get and "upgrade" in late Q4.

• Options

At the end of the day, what languages will the MUSE support ?

• Options

This will be finally announced on the official product launch in Q3. No details were given about this, even not to distributors :smile:

• Options
    HARMAN_icraigieHARMAN_icraigie Posts: 660
    edited June 2023

@richardherman said:

@Duncan Ellis said:

Really? that would be so great. I thought they were going with Javascript.

As per the press release: "capable of simultaneously processing multiple scripting languages"

Let the guessing begin...

• Options

@HARMAN_icraigie said:
    Let the guessing begin...

haha, I'm not the guessing type, but the word 'OpenAPI' is used a lot. So maybe a somewhat generic computing platform with 'plugins' to deal with the hardware. Or not... time will tell!

• Options
    KielLKielL Posts: 32

I'm excited for a new platform, but I've also used NetLinx for almost 20 years and it's such a good fit for a lot of systems programming. I don't see myself giving up NetLinx, but definitely open to new directions. It would be nice to be able to use C# to limit some of the re-learning I have to do every time I switch between AMX and Crestron projects.

• Options
    edited June 2023

Me too. I moved from Axcess to Netlinx/Modero. I'm looking forward to having the chance to use more modern languages and features. Opens up a whole host of possibilities.

Looks well cool. Hopefully it will open up new markets. Will be interested to see how the Panel designs are done & integrated...

• Options
    edited June 2023

@KielL said:
    It would be nice to be able to use C# to limit some of the re-learning I have to do every time I switch between AMX and Crestron projects.

Was considered, but C# is not a scripting language. Muse will support multiple scripting languages at launch.

@Duncan Ellis said:
    Will be interested to see how the Panel designs are done & integrated.

The same tools you have today - TPD5 and HTML5 (pick your fav tool).

• Options

@HARMAN_Chris said:

@KielL said:
    It would be nice to be able to use C# to limit some of the re-learning I have to do every time I switch between AMX and Crestron projects.

Was considered, but C# is not a scripting language. Muse will support multiple scripting languages at launch.

@Duncan Ellis said:
    Will be interested to see how the Panel designs are done & integrated.

The same tools you have today - TPD5 and HTML5 (pick your fav tool).

@HARMAN_Chris Thats half the battle then. So I take it there will be some kind of plug in/Module for each scripting language to allow you to have button listeners and access to ports in the device tree?

• Options

@Duncan Ellis said:
    I take it there will be some kind of plug in/Module for each scripting language to allow you to have button listeners and access to ports in the device tree?

I think this is a safe assumption.

• Options
    Marc ScheibeinMarc Scheibein Posts: 815
    edited September 2023

just to tease (I'm sure everyone knows already :D )

MUSE Product Launch on September 21st
    https://www.amx.com/learning-sessions

Cool stuff to come, lots of the teased new thing come true, but not allowed to talk about before Sep. 21 :)

• Options

I signed up for the webinar but was on remote support and missed it. When is the VSCode extension expected to be released?

• Options
    tombadgertombadger Posts: 17
    edited September 2023

tl;dr
    Muse supports python, restricted JS (no node.js, no TS, curated modules), Groovy (Java) and low code using Node-RED platform

• Options

I also missed the webinars. Are they already available to watch? Can't seem to find anything.

• Options

What a pity and how unfair is AMX to not give us the choice to keep using the traditional NetLinx language with the Muse Controllers.

For so many integrators who supported AMX over than 20-30 years, this decision was a sudden death.
    They pulled the rug from under their feet

Not sure how many of them will have the chance to learn a new programming language at their old age.

Yes it is absolutely reasonable for AMX to get into new programming paths and get new and younger integrators with them but they could also keep the native Netlinx language and give to thousands/millions AMX soldiers the opportunity to keep going their business with the new masters.

But this is life...

So some questions that reasonably arised:

1. AMX says that they will be keep producing/supporting the NX masters. For how long it will last ?
      What about the near future projects? Should we specify the NX masters ?

2. Needless to say that after the NX EOL any older project code should be regenerated - if any malfunctions appears - since the Muse masters will not support netlinx.
      In this case of course, it will not be just a device replacement but a new project from scratch so the project will get into comparison with other systems

3. What about the DVX/DGX series? Will they still be supported ?

4. AMX says that we can use 3 new languages with the new Muse masters.
      a. Which of them do you think is the best and flecible one?
      b. Can we use just one or a combination of them to make a full project?

• Options
    KielLKielL Posts: 32

From what I've been reading on other forums, this announcement has caused a lot of excitement outside of the normal AMX channels. I think AMX really nailed this product launch, and while it does make me sad that I can't immediately port over my NetLinx code, opening the ecosystem up to a wider talent pool is a really smart idea. In particular, it seems Node-RED has caused a lot of excitement. I really want to get an MU-1000 for my lab just so I can play around with it and get it talking to my NX-2200. I've never looked at any Groovy code before, but I think that would likely be the more powerful language of the three, so I'll invest some time into that.

That said, most of the AMX systems I program now are DVX, and I'm perfectly happy if they decide to leave those alone. NetLinx is a proven platform, and I feel like it could easily be viable for the next 5 years. It gets a lot of things right, and I'm thankful it hasn't changed much so that every time I come back to it, it doesn't take long to re-learn. I'm sure as long as customers are still buying NX products (and AMX is still making money selling them), we won't see it disappear tomorrow.

But above all, I'm glad we can finally use standard developer tools to program. Every time I fire up Visual Studio and write some C# code, it's shocking how fast the build/test/refactor cycle is. Like other programmers don't realize how good they've had it. That's not something we're used to where we can only test code by uploading to a device that takes at least a minute to reboot.

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    edited September 2023

@George Krietsepis said:
    1. AMX says that they will be keep producing/supporting the NX masters. For how long it will last ?

Well, history shows that today you can still buy AMX processors on the "bay of e" every day, for pennies, as far back as the 27 year old NXI. So I would guess that if AMX quits the NX production in only, say, 3 years, you have at least until 2053 to buy a replacement for a 2023 system if you really need it. I find that to be a comfortable pad and not "sudden death". Though I doubt I'll be around to need it at that point.