Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Help

I'm new to controling devices via rs232 so i would really appreciate some advice.

I have a Lexicon RT-20 that is connected to port 1 on my ni 3000, I am trying to control it thru netlinx studio via the control device tool. but every command i type in doesn't work. for instance the power off command is PWR:1 , i've put the start character '@' and end character '\0d' and nothing works, i've even tried no start/end characters, single quotes, double quotes....no response.

I have a straight thru connection that's been tested
my device is defined in define device,
the tx lights turn on whenever i send a command
the rx lights are on whenever i manually hit play, ...etc.

i've even added
DATA_EVENT[dvRS232DVD] // AUTO Initialization
{
ONLINE:
{
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, "'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'"
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'HSOFF'
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'XOFF'
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'CHARD-0'
}
}

I know i can load the duet module and test it that way , but i want to learn know how to do it thru netlinx studio so i can do some quick tests for rs232 devices. I suspect since every thing seems to be communicating that my problem is using the proper syntax for the control device tool.

any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    See the attached picture.

The syntax for the message is:

??@PWR:1',$0D? (it begins with double quote single quote)

The system number can?t be 0, it has to be the actual system number.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
  • Start with Hyperterminal

Start by proving that the device, the cable and the protocol work by connecting to it from your PC using Hyperterminal or similar.

If that doesn't work

# try swapping 2 and 3

# check the manual for an RSR232 control enable switch on the device

If that does work

# Check that the transmit led flashes when you send the string

# See if an answering receive led flash happens, which means the device is hearing you

# Connect hyperterm to the controller to see what you are sending
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Gfull wrote:
    I have a Lexicon RT-20 that is connected to port 1 on my ni 3000, I am trying to control it thru netlinx studio via the control device tool. but every command i type in doesn't work. for instance the power off command is PWR:1 , i've put the start character '@' and end character '\0d' and nothing works, i've even tried no start/end characters, single quotes, double quotes....no response.

Netlinx doesn't use the /0d convention for hex digits, it's $0D. That alone would do it.