Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Help

I'm new to controling devices via rs232 so i would really appreciate some advice.

I have a Lexicon RT-20 that is connected to port 1 on my ni 3000, I am trying to control it thru netlinx studio via the control device tool. but every command i type in doesn't work. for instance the power off command is PWR:1 , i've put the start character '@' and end character '\0d' and nothing works, i've even tried no start/end characters, single quotes, double quotes....no response.

I have a straight thru connection that's been tested
my device is defined in define device,
the tx lights turn on whenever i send a command
the rx lights are on whenever i manually hit play, ...etc.

i've even added
DATA_EVENT[dvRS232DVD] // AUTO Initialization
{
ONLINE:
{
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, "'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1'"
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'HSOFF'
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'XOFF'
SEND_COMMAND dvRS232DVD, 'CHARD-0'
}
}

I know i can load the duet module and test it that way , but i want to learn know how to do it thru netlinx studio so i can do some quick tests for rs232 devices. I suspect since every thing seems to be communicating that my problem is using the proper syntax for the control device tool.

any advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    See the attached picture.

The syntax for the message is:

??@PWR:1',$0D? (it begins with double quote single quote)

The system number can?t be 0, it has to be the actual system number.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Start with Hyperterminal

Start by proving that the device, the cable and the protocol work by connecting to it from your PC using Hyperterminal or similar.

If that doesn't work

# try swapping 2 and 3

# check the manual for an RSR232 control enable switch on the device

If that does work

# Check that the transmit led flashes when you send the string

# See if an answering receive led flash happens, which means the device is hearing you

# Connect hyperterm to the controller to see what you are sending
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Gfull wrote:
    I have a Lexicon RT-20 that is connected to port 1 on my ni 3000, I am trying to control it thru netlinx studio via the control device tool. but every command i type in doesn't work. for instance the power off command is PWR:1 , i've put the start character '@' and end character '\0d' and nothing works, i've even tried no start/end characters, single quotes, double quotes....no response.

Netlinx doesn't use the /0d convention for hex digits, it's $0D. That alone would do it.