Home NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

iPort Module

Recommend not using this. Use regular NetLinx module instead. I think Jon Parker has a copy.

Slow, outdated, web still shows Duet version as recommended, did not work well for me.

Bill

Comments

  • mpullinmpullin Obvious Troll Account, Marked for Deletion Posts: 949
    wcravenel wrote:
    Recommend not using this. Use regular NetLinx module instead. I think Jon Parker has a copy.

    Slow, outdated, web still shows Duet version as recommended, did not work well for me.

    Bill
    The NetLinx module is not officially ready yet, I think they're working on the iPod Video aspect of it. But for music the module is very useable and IMHO should be on the website.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    I think this is one of those "our mileage may vary" cases. I just added it to a very big, complex job, and it was one of the smoothest updates I've ever done to that particular system. I have a dozen panels running off that module, and it's perfectly responsive. I have to wonder what's the difference ...
  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    wcravenel wrote:
    Recommend not using this. Use regular NetLinx module instead. I think Jon Parker has a copy.

    Slow, outdated, web still shows Duet version as recommended, did not work well for me.

    Bill

    I've used Jon Parker's version on several projects and I consider it to be one of the best AMX created modules yet. (IMHO)
  • jjamesjjames AMX Sustaining Engineer Posts: 2,901
    Does anyone have Sonance's module of this? I had tried it last year and I believe it was still in beta at the time. I'm now using a NetLinx version (I forget which), but it's been very stable so far.

    This iPort has got to be one of the best products made thus far. Our clients rave about it, and it's becoming almost a standard piece in our bid list. Let's face it, if someone is getting an AMX system, chances are they can afford or already have an iPod. One client even said to us, "what's the point of having a music server?" in reference to having an Escient. I quickly used that opportunity to give a schpiel about Request's ability to integrate / syncronize with an iPod, and he said, "but still, what's the point? I can have all my music with me no matter where I go." I wish I would have thought of it, but the point is sound quailty.

    Anyway . . . big post for a simple question: how's Sonance's module?
  • mpullinmpullin Obvious Troll Account, Marked for Deletion Posts: 949
    The only problem with the iPort is that it doesn't recover gracefully if the client has an iPod in there and the iPod "goes to sleep." Only way to get the iPort working in that case is to pull the iPod out and then put it back in. The client needs to be instructed to set their iPod to never go to sleep.
  • jjamesjjames AMX Sustaining Engineer Posts: 2,901
    mpullin wrote:
    The only problem with the iPort is that it doesn't recover gracefully if the client has an iPod in there and the iPod "goes to sleep."
    Hmm, we've never heard about this problem. I wonder if all of our clients have theirs set to not to go to sleep. Which module is this a problem with? Or is more of a hardware issue?
  • viningvining X Member Posts: 4,356
    Are the iPods running the most recent firmware? Or at least a compatable firmware revision.
  • mpullinmpullin Obvious Troll Account, Marked for Deletion Posts: 949
    jjames wrote:
    Hmm, we've never heard about this problem. I wonder if all of our clients have theirs set to not to go to sleep. Which module is this a problem with? Or is more of a hardware issue?
    It was an iPod nano, NetLinx module, IW4 iPort.
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Junior Member Posts: 727
    Didn't know you could set an iPod that had power connected to it to go to sleep under any circumstances... Guess those Nano's are an enigma...

    - Chip
  • jgglennjgglenn Junior Member Posts: 3
    iPort Module for R4

    We are currently using this netlinx module downloaded from the iPort website with the R4 remotes. We have found the module to be quite slow with the R4s due to the zigbee standard. I was just wondering if anyone had found a way in the UI module to slow the rate at which data such as artist and track names etc are sent to the panel as only the first 7 or so appear. Usually when this happens the iPort module then disconnects and becomes unuseable.

    Any thoughts on the subject would be very welcome.

    Joe
  • AMXJeffAMXJeff Senior Member Posts: 450
    Slowing Down Commands

    If I understand correctly, I would use a virtual device as a proxy and queue the commands then send them from the queue to the R4.

    So in otherwords, replace the R4 device in your code with a virtual. Then use the data_event of the virtual and add the commands to a queue, and pace the commands to the R4.
  • npeppernpepper Junior Member Posts: 8
    iPORT
    mpullin wrote:
    The only problem with the iPort is that it doesn't recover gracefully if the client has an iPod in there and the iPod "goes to sleep." Only way to get the iPort working in that case is to pull the iPod out and then put it back in. The client needs to be instructed to set their iPod to never go to sleep.

    That is interesting that you bring that up, that might explain problems that I have had with the NetLinx module.

    Nick P
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Junior Member Posts: 727
    Doesn't polling the iPod with some frequency prevent it from going to sleep, or do the modules not do that?

    It's been a while since I played with iPod control - never (and won't) use AMX's module or iPort's module, but never had a problem with the iPod going to sleep and ceasing to respond.

    Or is this something particular with say the nano?

    - Chip
  • npeppernpepper Junior Member Posts: 8
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Doesn't polling the iPod with some frequency prevent it from going to sleep, or do the modules not do that?

    It's been a while since I played with iPod control - never (and won't) use AMX's module or iPort's module, but never had a problem with the iPod going to sleep and ceasing to respond.

    Or is this something particular with say the nano?

    - Chip

    You know, maybe I'm just looking for a reason, but I have had random problems with the NetLinx module from AMX. Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to write my own module to support the iPort.
  • viningvining X Member Posts: 4,356
    I've used the standard netlinx module from Sonance with good results. If you're a "dealer" you can access the site! It is however an iPod so you can't expect K-Scape or ARQ like like results.

    http://www.iportmusic.com/moduleaccess.html
  • npeppernpepper Junior Member Posts: 8
    vining wrote:
    I've used the standard netlinx module from Sonance with good results. If you're a "dealer" you can access the site! It is however an iPod so you can't expect K-Scape or ARQ like like results.

    http://www.iportmusic.com/moduleaccess.html

    I'll have to try that, I've haven't even though of trying their version.
  • 2Fast2Fast Junior Member Posts: 90
    I'm trying start the comunication with iPort ... I downloaded the iPort Module and when I press any button only TX led actived and I have no answer from iPort.

    I changed the cable and now I have answer of iPort ... but not working yet :(

    Any ideas? Please Help!
Sign In or Register to comment.