Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Sharp LC-52D64U Control

I know this questions and answer has been on this forum for month/years but......
I just tried turning one on via RS232 and it will not work.
I have sent the "'RSPW1 ',$0d", "'RSPW 1',$0d", "'RSPW1000',$0d", "'RSPW0001',$0d" and none of them will enable the RS232 after is goes into it's "Green Mode". All of these commands return an "err" string.
I can send the "'POWR0 ',$0d" and I get an "ok" from it meaning that it likes the power off command but the "'POWR1 ',$0d" never works.
I have tried all the commands found on this site and others but nothing will enable the RS232 to turn the unit on.
I wonder if repeatedly sending valid off commands would keep it alive.

Any magic words of wisdom from the collective?

Kenny

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Turn the set on manually, and get into the menu to turn off the power saving feature. It's a known issue with Sharp RS-232 - power savings shuts down the serial port when the set is off. THis is a bit of a trend; I have noticed Marantz doing this as well with recent devices. It's now the first thing I check when something won't turn on.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Turn the set on manually, and get into the menu to turn off the power saving feature. It's a known issue with Sharp RS-232 - power savings shuts down the serial port when the set is off. THis is a bit of a trend; I have noticed Marantz doing this as well with recent devices. It's now the first thing I check when something won't turn on.

This is true of many manufacturers. We do Marantz and they are notoriously annoying in this. We have found that many times you go in and set up the box to stay on and occasionally it goes back to factory settings for no apparent reason.

[rant]
    I personally think this is the height of silliness. If the device is designed properly, there is a tiny trickle of a charde needed to keep the logic going. There are much bigger fish to fry in regards to saving energy that we seem to ignore in favor or pop/political science.

[/rant]
  • KennyKenny Posts: 209
    Ok I now have it working.
    I sent the usual "'RSPW1 ',13" and got an error. So I sent "'RSPW0 ',13" Then resent the "'RSPW1 '".
    Now it works just fine. I had to do this for 4 monitors.
    I called Sharp and they insisted that the problem was cabling. They wanted me to connect all 9 wires. The nice lady said that she has never had a call back from anyone who connected all the wires. I took this as no has bothered to call and ask for the dumb blonde who thinks the other wires are needed.

Anyway if you are having issues try sending the RSPW0 string then send the RSPW1.

Now I'm off to put Sharp in the list as the worst TS.
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I think they're already there? :)
    Kenny wrote: »
    Now I'm off to put Sharp in the list as the worst TS.
  • bopperbopper Posts: 5
    Had the same issue a few weeks ago.The set had to be powered on before the RSPW1(enable 232 cmd) would take.Major pain in the left you know what!
  • At shut down:

RSPW1 _ _ _ then wait 2, POWR 0 _ _ _

Of course _ = $20
  • Defeat Power Save

It is true that the sharp LC has a power save command. It means that you never get the power on from standby. There is a command that disables this function. It is not in the manual. Here is it is.
    RSPW0001,$0D

You can only send this command if the screen is on. After that the screen can be put on with "'POWR1 ',$0D" and off with "'POWR0 ',$0D" Be aware that all of the command's must be 8 bytes (3 spaces behind the command) and every command ends with a carriage return ($0D)
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    almost all the sharp LCD's (EU models) we handle at the moment don't accept the RSPW as a valid command. They all have a different way of getting in a secret menu and changing some values to be able to be turned on from standby, so be aware :)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    yuri wrote: »
    almost all the sharp LCD's (EU models) we handle at the moment don't accept the RSPW as a valid command. They all have a different way of getting in a secret menu and changing some values to be able to be turned on from standby, so be aware :)

Many seem to have alternate power commands too ... yet the other control stuff tends to be the same. Some ratehr sloppy protocol development. My guess would be someone produced a vague spec in the first place, and every engineering team has a slightly different take on it.