Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Vista telnet

Does anyone have any experience using telnet with Windows Vista? I "installed" it without a problem, and can get the telnet window up, but I can't seem to use any of the commands I'm familiar with. I mean including "ping", and "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"....

Comments

• Okay, so where previously you would type "telnet xxxxx" to get into a master, it's now just "o xxxxx". I still can't get "ping" to work. There's an "ayt" command, but it doesn't seem to do the same thing.

And to think I just said yesterday "I haven't had an issues with Vista."....
  • banobano Posts: 173
    I use cmd.exe to ping, try that.
    Okay, so where previously you would type "telnet xxxxx" to get into a master, it's now just "o xxxxx". I still can't get "ping" to work. There's an "ayt" command, but it doesn't seem to do the same thing.

And to think I just said yesterday "I haven't had an issues with Vista."....
  • That worked fine. Of course. What was I thinking was the relationship between telnet and ping? Thanks a ton.

Jeff
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Vista by default has telnet disabled. A quick search returned this link to enable telnet:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1793/vista_install_telnet_client

Not sure if this is the problem?
  • You are confusing telnet and the command prompt.

"ping" and "telnet" are executables that you ran from the command prompt in whatever earlier version of windows you used.

Vista does not have a telnet program installed, you need to install one, it may or may not be accessible from the command prompt (it may or may not be in your user's path is the actual question).

Try running cmd.exe from the start menu, then you can ping just fine from vista.

Edit:

BTW, there is no relationship between telnet and ping. Ping is a network tool, just like telnet. Ping tests icmp type 8, echo, which will tell you if there is even a host at that ip address, but it will not tell you at all whether telnet is accessible at that host. Telnet is TCP port 23.