Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware AutoPatch Forum

Module Configuration String

I am using a Precis DSP 18x18 for the first time. I am having a little trouble understanding the configuration string for the AMX module. Can someone explain the meaning of the various values in the configuration string?

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Try the interface document that's bundled in the workspace:
    Protocol Notes

• Configuration String Syntax – The Duet module relies on a configuration string to know how to construct itself and all model data structures. A default config string is supplied to the constructor via the NetLinx module stub, but this can be overridden at any time by supplying a new configuration via ‘PROPERTY-<key>,<value>.’ The key and value fields must adhere to the following protocol:
    o KEY: the string ‘config’, case-sensitive
    o VALUE: a string of the following format --
    VM_Name:VM_Num:Ins:Outs:<AMX_TSE || NONE> ?...?=VM_Count
    The last parameter in each VM definition provides a way to explicitly map a VM name onto an AMX SwitchLevel. If a VM does not map directly onto a TSE, then supply the keyword NONE in this location.
    Example:
    AfV:0:12:12:ALL?Video:1:12:12:VIDEO?Audio:2:12:12:AUDIO?Special:3:18:24:NONE?=4
    NOTE: You must call ‘REINIT’ on the module following a call to ‘PROPERTY’ in order for it to realize the new configuration.

• Feature String Syntax – By default, version 1.2.0 of the Duet module only supports switching operations with respect to the status it asks for and tracks in its model during initialization and refresh operations. If a user wishes for the module to support other features, they must be supplied via ‘PROPERTY-<key>,<value>.’ The key and value fields must adhere to the following protocol:
    o KEY: the string ‘features’, case-sensitive
    o VALUE: a string specifying the features to enable, colon-separated, where the possible values can be one or more of the following case-sensitive arguments:{ gain, volume, tone, balance, eq }. Note that version 1.2.0 will recognize all five of those features, but will only support Gain and/or Volume! The others will simply be ignored, and an error will be logged. If supplying this property to the module, it MUST be followed by a REINIT call in order to take effect.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Having looked at that module quite some time ago I gave up trying to figure it out as the protocol is pretty simple and it's easier to create your own. Example to change inputs follows:

SEND_STRING dvAutoPatchPrecis1,'CI1O18T' // CHANGE output 18 to input 1
    SEND_STRING dvAutoPatchPrecis1,'SO18T' // status of output 18

Then using the string data_event for the switcher parse the data.
    After reading that explanation and looking at the default config string I realize I don't have a clue either! I haven't read the BCS doc since I wrote my module so maybe if you read that it will start making sense. I use a config string also to set up my module to control up to three 18 x 18's but my config string's explanation is in english.
    CHAR config_value[80] = 'AFV:0:8:8:ALL?Video:1:8:8:VIDEO?Audio:2:8:8:AUDIO?=3'

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    wilw410 wrote: »
    I am using a Precis DSP 18x18 for the first time. I am having a little trouble understanding the configuration string for the AMX module. Can someone explain the meaning of the various values in the configuration string?

There is software that AP has that will configure the string for you.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote:
    There is software that AP has that will configure the string for you.
    Was that just to make me feel dumb since I can't figure that out either! :)
    vining wrote: »
    Was that just to make me feel dumb since I can't figure that out either! :)

No. If you feel dumb then there is likely something else going on.
    Paul
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    No. If you feel dumb then there is likely something else going on.
    Paul
    You set yourself up for that one Dan and Paul took full advantage. Too funny.
  • jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    Thought..

Just out of curiosity why are you using an AMX Module for Autopatch? Would it be much simpler to just write code for it?
    Joe_Hebert wrote:
    You set yourself up for that one Dan and Paul took full advantage. Too funny.
    C'mon, I may be dumb but I'm not stupid! That type of response was expected but I would have appreciated a smiley face or something.
    C'mon, I may be dumb but I'm not stupid! That type of response was expected but I would have appreciated a smiley face or something.

something.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jazzwyld wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity why are you using an AMX Module for Autopatch? Would it be much simpler to just write code for it?

I've been debating that one myself ... I have a large project (two actually) using several Autopatches each, and I'm just not seeing where the Duet overhead is worth it. So much of it seems to be for mimicking a mixing board on the touch panel ... all operations I prefer to keep entirely transparent to the user.
    DHawthorne wrote:
    I have a large project (two actually) using several Autopatches each, and I'm just not seeing where the Duet overhead is worth it.
    I posted a module in the mopedia section that allows up to 3 Autopatch 18x18's (54 output zones but only 17 inputs) and it has a pretty nice GUI & a GUI for the DSP. I've had very good success with it.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    DHawthorne wrote:

I posted a module in the mopedia section that allows up to 3 Autopatch 18x18's (54 output zones but only 17 inputs) and it has a pretty nice GUI & a GUI for the DSP. I've had very good success with it.

I have a module too, but mine is entirely stripped down to actually switching and setting levels. As I said, I have no real use for a UI with sliders; I hide all that from the end user.