Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

NetLinx Studio 3

Any new about this very along awaited version? are you releasing on time?

any spoiler from the betatesters?

something please!

Best regards,

Antonio

P.D. I hope this is not Duke Nukem Forever Studio 3.0 :P
«1

Comments

  • Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I'll second the motion. Today (I think) is 90 days since the announcement. At least let ACE programmers beta test for the release.

    We NEED a new release. The current rev is showing its age!
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    NetLinx Studio 3.0 is available now!!
  • Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    Indeed, it appears to be available and I'm downloading it now.... So, the question has to be asked, can it be installed alongside NS2, or will it take my NS2 installation out of commission? I believe it's been previously discussed/speculated, but I want to be absolutely certain of the right answer before I jump into anything.

    yanbin wrote: »
    NetLinx Studio 3.0 is available now!!
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    matt95gsr wrote: »
    Indeed, it appears to be available and I'm downloading it now.... So, the question has to be asked, can it be installed alongside NS2, or will it take my NS2 installation out of commission? I believe it's been previously discussed/speculated, but I want to be absolutely certain of the right answer before I jump into anything.

    beta installed really nicely. Pretty seamless.
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Upgrade path went fairly well, got the majority of my preferences (color, indentation, etc), but somehow lost all of my shortcut keys. Back up your hotkeys before you try to upgrade

    J
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    I'm also still having major issues with "Run to Cursor" on any program involving modules. Anyone else running into this?

    J
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jeff wrote: »
    Upgrade path went fairly well, got the majority of my preferences (color, indentation, etc), but somehow lost all of my shortcut keys. Back up your hotkeys before you try to upgrade

    J

    Almost everything stored in the registry (toolbars, shortcuts, etc.) have always been lost in any update / reinstallation of NetLinx Studio or TPD4. However, retaining the editor preferences I don't think is anything new. Nevertheless I second the suggestion of backing up.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Yay, after battling flooding and getting extremely wet and muddy on the way to work this just made my day much nicer :)
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    matt95gsr wrote: »
    So, the question has to be asked, can it be installed alongside NS2, or will it take my NS2 installation out of commission? I believe it's been previously discussed/speculated, but I want to be absolutely certain of the right answer before I jump into anything.

    It looks like v3 overwrites/removes v2. During the v3 install process I noticed that the path names defaulted to 'C:\Program Files\AMX Control Disc\Netlinx Studio 2'. In an effort to retain my v2 install, I changed the 2 to a 3 during install so that it matched the new major version. v2 was still automatically removed as part of the install process. I checked in 'C:\Program Files\AMX Control Disc\Netlinx Studio 2' and it was empty (except for a custom shortcut that I had put there), so the installer is not just removing the StartMenu shortcut. My new install now lives in 'C:\Program Files\AMX Control Disc\Netlinx Studio 3'.

    We'll, I'd better get on with learning the new envornment. The demo I saw in the local road show was great.

    Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    Jeff LockyearJeff Lockyear Posts: 147
    Zero Config

    Is anyone else having trouble launching Zero Config? I can see my NI in the device tree, but when I right-click and select "Launch" nothing happens. It doesn't matter if I choose Studio or the default browser.
  • Options
    bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    I installed NS3 on a couple of machines, and the machines that had Bonjour installed on them already has the zero config stuff working, but the ones that had installed Bonjour after NS3 aren't showing anything...
  • Options
    Jeff LockyearJeff Lockyear Posts: 147
    Ah. I installed Bonjour when prompted by Studio. I guess I'll un/reinstall Studio and see what happens. Thanks.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I'm going to sit here lurking while all you guinea pigs do the second half of the beta test!
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I'm going to sit here lurking while all you guinea pigs do the second half of the beta test!
    OMG... lol.. that's pretty mean. Although I am doing the same thing so who am I to criticize
  • Options
    Jeff LockyearJeff Lockyear Posts: 147
    Hmmm, cowardice or common sense....

    Or is it just experience?
  • Options
    ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    I'm going to sit here lurking while all you guinea pigs do the second half of the beta test!

    Why couldn't I be so smart??

    Gone now is my favorite keyboard shortcut, Ctl-G. I had this assigned to Goto Functions/Subs. I could hit Ctl-G and a list of all my functions would pop up.

    Also, the GoTo Functions/Subs is GONE from the right-click menu.

    In looking for some other way to do this, I looked in the Customize Toolbar area. There are 2 different buttons called FunSub1. One of these jumps you to some random place in the current file, the other toggles through your Recent File List, opening files if necessary. Yikes!

    Even the new Macro FEATURE has no way to pull up the list.

    I know most people won't be bothered by this, but it is something I use as often as Ctl-F. I've reported my findings to tech support.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Hmmm, cowardice or common sense....

    Or is it just experience?


    Those who live on the cutting edge bleed a lot. :D

    Having said that, I've had the beta version on my desktop machine now for about a couple months and it's been pretty stable. I went ahead and put the official version on today. I haven't seen anything yet. I'll go ahead and install it on my laptop. It's an old IBM 800mhz PIII. That should put it through its paces.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Colzie wrote: »
    Gone now is my favorite keyboard shortcut, Ctl-G. I had this assigned to Goto Functions/Subs. I could hit Ctl-G and a list of all my functions would pop up.

    I know most people won't be bothered by this, but it is something I use as often as Ctl-F. I've reported my findings to tech support.
    Maybe removed on purpose! Goto is considered harmful.
  • Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 155
    NS 3 - Eset virus checker Thinks its a Virus

    Hi all

    really wierd, I use ESET antivirus and it thinks NS3 is a virus and quarantines it - its done it twice today!!!


    ???????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    AlexArtistAlexArtist Posts: 51
    I'm going to sit here lurking while all you guinea pigs do the second half of the beta test!

    Turnip that's so funny! My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    Duncan,

    the NOD32 virus issue is tracked. It seems that there is/was a virus/trojan/whatever which was named NSX.exe. But this seems only to be an issue with NOD32, because McAfee, GData (popular in Germany) and Sophos don't get confused.
  • Options
    Colzie wrote: »
    Why couldn't I be so smart??

    Gone now is my favorite keyboard shortcut, Ctl-G. I had this assigned to Goto Functions/Subs. I could hit Ctl-G and a list of all my functions would pop up.

    Also, the GoTo Functions/Subs is GONE from the right-click menu.

    In looking for some other way to do this, I looked in the Customize Toolbar area. There are 2 different buttons called FunSub1. One of these jumps you to some random place in the current file, the other toggles through your Recent File List, opening files if necessary. Yikes!

    Even the new Macro FEATURE has no way to pull up the list.

    I know most people won't be bothered by this, but it is something I use as often as Ctl-F. I've reported my findings to tech support.

    If you have a Hotkey Preferences file of Studio2 where ithe "Goto Functions/Subs" was assigned, it still works.also in Studio3. I could post mine, but there it is "F8" ...
  • Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 155
    Duncan,

    the NOD32 virus issue is tracked. It seems that there is/was a virus/trojan/whatever which was named NSX.exe. But this seems only to be an issue with NOD32, because McAfee, GData (popular in Germany) and Sophos don't get confused.

    Hi Marc

    cool. Thanks for the info. I've now set NOD32 up so it ignores the file, but thanks anyway!!!!

    Duncan
  • Options
    jazzwyldjazzwyld Posts: 199
    So far

    So far NS3 hasn't been as scary as it could have been. I'm sure everyone has another list of wants after AMX has taken this step...I would love to be able to edit the IR files in NS, since we can see them now. I was rather pleased with the closed bracket/parenthesis feature. I know NS2 had so you could find it, but having it always on hasn't been a nuisance yet so I'll call it a feature.

    Any reason why there is a column line? I took it off, but what function does it have?
  • Options
    felixmoldovanfelixmoldovan Posts: 197
    80 chars per line on a dot matrix printer? In other words viewable area if you want to print your code on a tractor fed paper. Could be, if anybody still prints it on a dot matrix, or at all...

    Here we have a line at 79 chars, so it's super safe. Just an assumption though...
  • Options
    NS3 big improvement

    Hey it works, and not only that they fixed the save file issue on large files - used to take 8-10 minutes to save then 20 seconds to compile. Now it's real quick! Thanks guys.

    Brent
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    jazzwyld wrote: »
    Any reason why there is a column line? I took it off, but what function does it have?

    It's a standard IDE feature. Readability is heavily influenced by line length and the 80 chars is a throwback to terminal days. It exists as a visual guide rather than an enforced character limit though as ideally it should be used as a guidline rather than a strict rule. An 81 character line is much easier to read than attempting to decipher complex indentation that's been implimented just for the purpose of keeping everything to 80 chars.
  • Options
    filpeefilpee Posts: 64
    jazzwyld wrote: »
    Any reason why there is a column line? I took it off, but what function does it have?

    Good for training purposes I was told. You can set this up so that you know if you have text that goes further then that line it wont show on a projector.
  • Options
    jcereckejcerecke Posts: 40
    Hmmm, so it turns out when I try to change serial communication settings in NS3 and click on the com port drop down menu, I get nothing. Confirmed on another computer. Somewhat annoying...
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    jcerecke wrote: »
    Hmmm, so it turns out when I try to change serial communication settings in NS3 and click on the com port drop down menu, I get nothing. Confirmed on another computer. Somewhat annoying...

    I'm getting all my comm ports here.
Sign In or Register to comment.