Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Did I miss the memo?

So, umm . . . where's the 21" that's pictured here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prove_to_me/2125103716/in/set-72157603563029425/

Also, if all those are AMX panels (which I believe they are by the description below the picture) - what are the other ones? Picture taken a year and a half ago - am I missing something?

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Looks like an NXD-CV10, NXD-1200 and an NXD-CV17.

Don't beleive everything you read.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Looks like an NXD-CV10, NXD-1200 and an NXD-CV17.

Don't beleive everything you read.

That's kind of what I thought, but when I looked at this picture
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/prove_to_me/2125103972/in/set-72157603563029425/

It looked like the one on the left was a wide-screen panel, and he claimed it was a 17", so - I figured the next would have been the 21" . . . but I guess it could have been a 15 & a 17.
  • VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    IF (big IF) that is a 21" panel.... can you imagine the price!?!?

Like AMX would ever move any quantity of these.

I believe cost is the major reason why more large panels are not integrated.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    To say nothing of practicality ... what do you need all that real estate in a control for, anyway? For viewing, yes, but not control ... and I never did like the idea of combining the two. I hate fingerprints on a viewing display, and touch screens get outright nasty eventually. It's one of the reason I think multi-touch isn't going to take off in it's current form; until they get it so you can wave your hands in the air and not actually have to grime up the things, it's more a novelty than anything else.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Devil's Advocate
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    ...it's more a novelty than anything else.

Not to downplay our industry or AMX - but isn't it all just novelty? I mean - who REALLY needs a $5k wireless remote to control their A/V, lights & security? :D

*ducks as the tomatoes come flying in*
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    I thought we were all geeks in here! From the picture, the touchpanel on the right is approximately 3 outlet covers high and 5.5 outlet covers wide. Based on a midsized plate, this puts it right at the 17" dimensions.

Even if it was a small sized plate, it's still not big enough to be a 21".

Kevin D.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    It's one of the reason I think multi-touch isn't going to take off in it's current form; until they get it so you can wave your hands in the air and not actually have to grime up the things, it's more a novelty than anything else.

Dave, I think multi-touch has taken off in its current form. It's intuitive, it's fun, it makes some of the things we are stuck with on our panels look primitive. I agree with the sentiment about mixing touch and display but any touch puts goo on your screen, some peoples' touch is just better.
  • jprovanjprovan Posts: 16
    That is why it is called a GUI (goo-ey)
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    iainshaw wrote: »
    Dave, I think multi-touch has taken off in its current form. It's intuitive, it's fun, it makes some of the things we are stuck with on our panels look primitive. I agree with the sentiment about mixing touch and display but any touch puts goo on your screen, some peoples' touch is just better.

You haven't seen the new XBox controller than, have you? No touching required at all ... it's even beyond Minority Report in that you don't need the funky gloves. And multi-touch, in it's current form has not taken off ... I don't see it anywhere but in shows and demos. I strongly suspect it will be going the way of the dodo very quickly once Microsoft's paradigm becomes readily available.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    multi-touch has a bit of traction

I meant the implementation on the iPhone...seems to have done rather well. I've not seen the XBox controller. My hope is that there is a team within AMX that is sensitive to the fact that the options presented by these new touch screen paradigms make current G4 panels feel clunky. And that team has an active development path and resource to deliver something

I'd also like to point out that my last.fm profile appears to have been hijacked by my 5 year old son armed with a Sonos
    ZP100 and an iPhone. Who knows what is going to be scrobbled before I get home.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    And multi-touch, in it's current form has not taken off ... I don't see it anywhere but in shows and demos.

...and 20 million iPhones.