Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Zigbee + 802.11n anyone?

Has anyone installed R4s in an 802.11n-installed network? Our client was dead-set on Wireless-N, so much so that even though he wanted wireless panels, he ditched them for in-walls and table-tops after we explained there would be trouble if he went with "N."

However, we (he) kept the R4s . . . I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem. Any advice before I walk into the lion's den?

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I can't imagine why it would be a problem, as long as that is the only issue. AMX wireless has difficulty with 802.11n because it is on exactly the same frequency as 802.11g, and gets confused on the protocol negotiations. Zigbee is fundamentally different, and though it has frequency overlaps, can be set to a non-colliding frequency. It shouldn't be confused by the N because it's not trying to deal with it at all.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    Has anyone installed R4s in an 802.11n-installed network? Our client was dead-set on Wireless-N, so much so that even though he wanted wireless panels, he ditched them for in-walls and table-tops after we explained there would be trouble if he went with "N."

However, we (he) kept the R4s . . . I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem. Any advice before I walk into the lion's den?

Some of the higher-end 'N' WAPs can be forced to only operate in the 5Gig range. The normal protocol for N is to try to operate in the 5Ghz range first then revert to 2.4Gig if things get flaky.

I have one compouter right now in my house that is running on a 5Gig N router and is working quite nicely. N in that range does some pretty decent data throughput but the range sucks.

With as many problems as we seem to have with our client's wireless networks, I tend to be rather draconian. We try to get as much info on the client's wireless needs and see if we can negotiate them switching/moving/doing without or a substitue/etc... to clear up the air space. Through this process we've learned a few things.

1) Panasonic is Panasonic, get over it...

2) Find out the age of the client's children and if they are techno-savvy. If they are and have thier own disposable income, you're in for trouble.

3) Try to set up all Zigbee in the lower Zigbee channels that are 'technically' below the WiFi range. (most these devices put out a lot of spurious broadcasts that get up into the WiFi channel range.

4) get a good RF spectrum analyzer. If you cannot afford the fancy one's, at least get the WiSpy/Channelizer one. It's only a couple hundred bucks and will pay for itself on the first use.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I agree. I hate it, but I agree :)
    2) Find out the age of the client's children and if they are techno-savvy. If they are and have thier own disposable income, you're in for trouble.
    I agree, but I have found that discussions with the kids about how if they keep messing with my wireless connectivity, I will inform their parents about key loggers, gateway web filtering and other means of determining what the computer is being used for tends to convince them to leave things the way they are ;)

3) Try to set up all Zigbee in the lower Zigbee channels that are 'technically' below the WiFi range. (most these devices put out a lot of spurious broadcasts that get up into the WiFi channel range.
    Unless they just opened up channels below 11, the only channel that does not overlap with WiFi in the USA is channel 26 (technically 25 as well, but AMX claims echos cause interference on 25 or something like that). I believe 15 and 20 fall in between WiFi channels 1,6 and 11 for the most part and those are the other channels I use in a busy environment, but if you have APs that use multiple channels, or auto assign to channels other than 1,6 or 11, you will have to use an analyzer to pick the channels... and know that it will probably change in a week ;)
    4) get a good RF spectrum analyzer. If you cannot afford the fancy one's, at least get the WiSpy/Channelizer one. It's only a couple hundred bucks and will pay for itself on the first use.
    metageek.net just dropped their prices on scanners. You can get a new high resolution scanner for $99.00.

Jeff
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jjames wrote: »

Your client insisted on a particular wireless protocol to the point of ditching wireless panels? Bizarre. What reason did they give for having to using N?
    Paul
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Your client insisted on a particular wireless protocol to the point of ditching wireless panels? Bizarre. What reason did they give for having to using N?
    Paul

Throughput. He needs to transfer very large files to multiple computers at the same time. No biggie though, he got 2x10" panels instead.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    They now have multi-cells that operate in a different band, 1.9ghz. Cordless phones KX-TD7685,95 & 96. The 2.4ghz phones are also still available. I think the 1.9's and cell stations will work on the TAW systems as well as the TDA system but may be intended for the TDAs.