Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

G3 WEBCONTROL

Hi All,

On a recent project, using an NI-3100 with G3 Webcontrol, I'm having problems retrieving the button's feedback - They keep appearing as access through the browser is consequently open (go through the buttons) then closed, and so on. The feedbacks appear gradually, some ocasionally dissapear, some have never appeared. I've tried with an NI-700, other PC's and same result. Any idea on how to solve this issue? The GUI has 11.9 MB.

Thanks

JJ

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    JayS wrote: »
    Hi All,

On a recent project, using an NI-3100 with G3 Webcontrol, I'm having problems retrieving the button's feedback - They keep appearing as access through the browser is consequently open (go through the buttons) then closed, and so on. The feedbacks appear gradually, some ocasionally dissapear, some have never appeared. I've tried with an NI-700, other PC's and same result. Any idea on how to solve this issue? The GUI has 11.9 MB.

Thanks

JJ

I have found that I can only use G3 web control reliably (and by reliable, I mean 80%) when I only use one page, no popups and a few buttons. I also find that it is a good idea to not use any graphics other than the ordinary panel colors.

Whenever I've tried to go beyond that, it gets flaky real fast.

Unless the system is very simple, I would not try to make the G3 web control the only UI to control a system. I do use it for simple things like remote control of a single system in a home like HVAC or basic lighting/window shades, pool control, etc... I never use it as an alternative to real flesh-n-blood Touch Panels.

It's my personal view that they came up with it at first as sort of a challenge. The anecdotal story I heard at AMX was that it was sort of a question to one of the programmers of TP design. He came back the next morning with the working model.

However, I think AMX saw the writing on the wall in that it would actually compete with their Touch Panel sales. They never really kept up with it and kept it current. At one point a couple years ago they took if off the feature set altogether. It didn't really go away. It was just not advertised. It came creeping back in about a year ago.

It's kind of the unloved step-child of AMX interfaces.
  • JaySJayS Posts: 9
    G3 Webcontrol

Thanks for your input, Eric. I've been using sporadically G3WC for quite some years, more frequently nowadays, naturally due to economic reasons (I prefer to use the AMX's capability/controller reliability than to use other cheaper systems). Using several pages, enlarged color pallette, has never been a problem (actually in the sense of aplied colors, I had more problems when using TPI). What has become clear is that the GUI's wheight is important in this "Java handling" issue - too much and JAva simply loses it's capability to adequately handle it. My issue is just with the button feedback. Did anybody ever "forced" the loading of them in the GUI PC?

JJ
  • GSLogicGSLogic Posts: 562
    I've used the G3 web control with good success, but you have to setup the NI-master as such:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    increase duet memory
    TELNET CMD: set duet memory
    enter: 16M

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Force the master to wait before loading data_event online
    TELNET CMD: set device holdoff on
    query: get device holdoff

Hope this help!
    G3 Webcontrol

Thanks ever so much for your input, Gary. I'll try it out tomorrow and get back.

JJ
    G3 Webcontrol

Hi,

After following Gary's indications (2x configs through telnet) I am getting the same results - some of the bloody feedbacks don't appear at all!! - I didn't notice any difference.

Is there anything else I should try (other than reduce the 11.9 MB size of the GUI)?

Thanks

JJ
  • Excuse me for my bad English...
    In G3WC I have noticed that if you open a popup in response of a push (via code or button page flip), popup that COVER the button, the button input channel after the first push remains on, and the button will never released. So you can't receive push event after the first push.
    I have resolved with a modification of popup's geometry, and inserting the command for the popup (open or close) in the release section of push event.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Excuse me for my bad English...
    In G3WC I have noticed that if you open a popup in response of a push (via code or button page flip), popup that COVER the button, the button input channel after the first push remains on, and the button will never released. So you can't receive push event after the first push.
    I have resolved with a modification of popup's geometry, and inserting the command for the popup (open or close) in the release section of push event.

A pretty simple fix for this would be to do your popul command in the Release instead if the Push.
    G3 Webcontrol

Thanks for your inputs, guys, which are very welcomed.

Unfortunately, programming is being done diferently, event based:
    - ALL feedbacks are based in the state of variables
    - Button off - transparent
    - Button on - graphics (png) covering it

I'm identifying the problem in the relation between the controller and JAVA - the feedbacks will not appear until JAVA cashes the respective button's graphics. I've used both 1.6.12 and 1.6.14 Java versions, with a slight improvment. The old 1.4.9 or 12 are MUCH WORSE.
    My GUI has 7 pages, alltogether sized 11.9MB.

Any other input, PLEASE?

Best regs

JJ
    G3 Webcontrol

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your help on this matter, it's now solved.

As previously mentioned, had to do with JAVA handling the info, GUI too heavy:
    (with the improvements made with Gary's input) and substitution of the button feedback graphics, for a simple button border (naturally spoiling the result) I now have all feeds responding as should.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

JJ