Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

ENV-VST-C Problems

I have an install with 4 stats, we are now about to replace the fourth one. Has every one else had problems with these? What problems? I can't be this unlucky there must be a problem here.
Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    What is the problem you are having?
  • First problem that we had on 2 of them is that the screen saver did not function. AMX replaced them. Second problem that we had was that the cool set point and the heat set point went within one degree of each other automatically and called for heat until the room was almost 119 degrees. AMX replaced it.(upper storage room that no one goes in with its own furnace.) Fourth thermostat did almost the same thing only opposite and called for A/C until it was 31 degrees. AMX will not advance replace it because it is over on time installed. Not to mention there is no module for scheduling, the osd interface is terrible, and the scheduling resets every time it power cycles. Oh yea and there is no way to power them off of your own supply.
    Lovely. I am just about to put three of them into a high-profile installation. Hopefully some of these issues were resolved in that last firmware rev.

I wrote a scheduling UI module as well as a Netlinx iWeather interface for it. Let me know if you want to give either a try.
    Is _anyone_ having positive experiences with these thermostats?
  • What is the latest firmware version? As far as I can tell we have the latest be there may be one that I don't know of. We would definitely like to try out both of those modules and I know our client would like it. I will let you know how all of the new stats hold up, I would be careful about them. We are on the verge of switching. Thanks for the help.
    Ben
  • Oh yea. I looked at the firmware it is v2.16 on the ones we have installed.
    Here is what I am using for weather updates from Netlinx iWeather. Be sure to add a DEV array of your ENV-VST-Cs to the module definition.
    Here is my manager module for the ENV-VST-C.

Feedback from anyone who looks at it is welcomed (as long as it's positive!) :)
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I've been having decent luck with the stats functioning alright, but the AMX module is horrible and has been causing all sorts of problems.

Hopefully I can find some time to write a proper module for these before they are installed in another job.
    the8thst wrote: »
    Hopefully I can find some time to write a proper module for these before they are installed in another job.

Check out the two that I posted. One is a Netlinx iWeather-to-ENV-VST-C weather module. The second is a thermostst control manager.

Both work well.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 208
    I've done 1 job with these and had a ton of problems, and ultimately wrote my own module. One problem is the AMX module does not support schedules. In addition, there are significant issues with channel feedback. I still don't have a complete solution, but the following is a summary of the best that I got it to work...

for all settings (off, cool, heat, auto, fan on, etc), I'm writing straight to the thermostat device

for level events I'm looking straight at the thermostat device

for system state feedback (idle, heating, cooling), I have to look at a virtual device channel events, no feedback updates from stat device

for changes in modes (off, cool, heat, auto), I have to look at stat device channel events, no feedback from virtual device...however, at startup I receive nothing on these, so I have to force them to a default state via setting the channel (which may alter the state the user has). I've tried polling them in a device online event, as well as looking at them continuously in the main line, with no consistent success.

I also had issues getting "OFF" events when states changed...i.e. going from heat to cool would trigger an ON event for HVAC_STATE_COOL_FDBK, but not an OFF for HVAC_STATE_HEAT_FDBK.

Frankly, I would have much rather seen these devices developed with a full protocol vs. channels and levels.
    I have had no problems with feedback except for when humidity setpoints change. There is no unsolicited feedback for that.

I have also not found a way to get current barometric pressure into the thermostat for display. I have asked about this numerous times, but mum is the word from tech support.

My modules talk directly to the stats. I avoid Duet at all costs.

In my opinion, the env-vst-c is a work in progress. Hopefully the work continues.
    I have also not found a way to get current barometric pressure into the thermostat for display. I have asked about this numerous times, but mum is the word from tech support.

I'm pretty sure this is working ok for me, I do a send_level to level 6, data type is a float.
  • ENV-VST-C with ground source heat pump

For those of us in colder climates: If the Viewstat is connected to a heat pump and the thermostat receives information (through sensor or iWeather) that the outdoor temperature is below 20 degrees the emergency heat will engage and the heat pump will disengage. This is a good thing when you are dealing with a normal heat pump because there isn't enough heat in the air to function properly. This is a problem if you are connected to a ground-source heat pump where the underground water temperature remains constant regardless of the outdoor temperature. There is no way, at this point, to have the system differentiate between the two types of systems.

There are many other issues that tech support tell me have been escalated to engineering but nobody can tell me when new firmware will be available. I love the concept and form of this thermostat but the implementation has been frustrating and slow.
  • Pep_SDPep_SD Posts: 106
    We've done a job with 4 of them. They were all located in the equipment rack, using remote sensors. 3 of them worked fine but we thought one was defective because the temperature reading was jumping all over the place every two minutes or so (frequency not even consistent).
    Temperature was reading 65 F then jumped to 72 F then down to 61 F then up again to 68 F etc... (values here are just samples).
    We had it replaced, same thing - we checked our wires, connections, latest firmware, everything.
    We ended by fixing this moving the thermostat in the room itself and using the local temperature sensor...
  • veraviewveraview Posts: 44
    bwestlake wrote: »
    For those of us in colder climates: If the Viewstat is connected to a heat pump and the thermostat receives information (through sensor or iWeather) that the outdoor temperature is below 20 degrees the emergency heat will engage and the heat pump will disengage.

Yeah, this one is a real problem that I too had to escalate. Froze my tootsies off this January in my office, while our server room overheated. You can workaround this, the Viewstat looks first at the external sensor and then at the iWeather module for outdoor temperature. If you disable the weather forecast, set the external sensor to indoor (another room) or disabled, then reboot the stat, the weather will report 32 degrees. Then set the balance point at 20 degrees. Therefore the stat will assume its always OK to run the compressor and you're good to go.

Boy, thank goodness I got these at demo pricing. They are no better than the Cr****** pieces of junk. I look forward to a firmware update, and friggin soon.
    came back to my install today. here is a good example of the channel issues....

my first check I did a device status on the thermostat itself and all the mode feedback channels were on (Auto, Heat, Cool & Off). I restarted the thermostat and then none were on. The virtual device, however, did have the correct feedback channel on (heat).

I then change from Heat to Auto on the touch panel and check device status again. The thermostat itself now has the Auto feedback channel on, but the virtual device has no feedback channels on.

Kind of tough to write an elegant, functional user interface with this inconsistency.
    So here's another one: My viewstats are reprogramming their own schedules. Thinking the module was causing a problem, the viewstats are now just devices on the network but have no programming behind them. My office was quite cool this morning.
  • alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    Boy. Looking at putting one in my home. By the sounds of it, I may want to hold off for a little bit though :(
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Boy. Looking at putting one in my home. By the sounds of it, I may want to hold off for a little bit though :(

I think it's a matter of "when they eork, they work well. But whenn they don't..."
    Here is my manager module for the ENV-VST-C.

Feedback from anyone who looks at it is welcomed (as long as it's positive!) :)

I have been meaning to follow up with this thread, but it just kept getting pushed back on my list of things to do.

I swapped out AMX's duet module for your module at a job where we are controlling 7 color viewstats and it worked perfectly. CPU usage went from 93% on the master down to 28% (in fairness I did a little bit more refactoring to the rest of the code, but this module was the only major change).

The viewstats are only controlling in-floor heating and they are hidden away in a mechanical room, so I didn't look into the iWeather portion of the stats for the forecast or anything, but control was fast and has been reliable.

Thank you for the code, it helped out quite a bit.
    the8thst wrote: »
    Thank you for the code, it helped out quite a bit.
    You're welcome. I am working on a newer version that deals a bit better with fetching schedule setpoints. I'll post it when it's complete.
  • DavidRDavidR Posts: 62
    I've been using your stat code on my bench for a couple of weeks and I'm sure the schedule page was working at some point. Ive lost it today.

strange since nUIStatSelected, nUI, nUIDaySelected, nBut all seem to have correct values.

is there a stat setting that could override these commands?
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Too bad these thermostats don't support setting schedule times. I wrote my module around their scheduler without even realizing this until the end. "How do I set the time they are activated?" And is it possible to determine which schedule is currently active?

Since the company doesn't really care about a scheduler, and some customers do, it's really up to me to write my own scheduler. Don't have much use yet for one though. I do intend to write one that'll work with really any thermostat you throw at it so long as you can run it in hold mode and get / set setpoints - such as the old Apriliare-based stats and the color viewstats. Maybe one of these weekends...

(Also, does anyone need any iWeather licenses? I wrote my own weather interface that also interfaces with the viewstats, so we don't use any of these and we have dozens extra...)
    true wrote: »
    Too bad these thermostats don't support setting schedule times. I wrote my module around their scheduler without even realizing this until the end. "How do I set the time they are activated?" And is it possible to determine which schedule is currently active?

Since the company doesn't really care about a scheduler, and some customers do, it's really up to me to write my own scheduler. Don't have much use yet for one though. I do intend to write one that'll work with really any thermostat you throw at it so long as you can run it in hold mode and get / set setpoints - such as the old Apriliare-based stats and the color viewstats. Maybe one of these weekends...

(Also, does anyone need any iWeather licenses? I wrote my own weather interface that also interfaces with the viewstats, so we don't use any of these and we have dozens extra...)

That reminds me... we also have a pile of unused iWeather licenses that we have no plans of using since I wrote my own weather code as well.
    Turnip...

Does your module receive notification of hvac mode and fan mode on startup? I'm not getting either of those, nor the current state (heating, cooling, etc) until they change states. Levels come in with no problem. I wrote my own driver as well.

Thanks
  • pauldpauld Posts: 106
    I too, have had many problems with the ENV-VST-C stats. Most of the time they don't report the current state correctly. I have had many problems with the units locking up, and had to replace each unit more than once.
    true wrote: »
    Too bad these thermostats don't support setting schedule times. ...

Our designers really wanted that, and when they found out that it doesn't work they asked me to look into it.
    Okay so I am putting in a separate power supply to feed all 6 of the stats in my office because the schedule keeps getting dumped. The stats are all daisy-chained with Axlink cable, so I'm getting a big honkin transformer for the comms closet and putting it on the ups, and using the 18AWG pair for power to the RH terminal, leaving RC to be powered by the HVAC system. Question is, from the data sheet its not quite clear how much current each stat will draw when wired in this manner. I'm thinking 500ma ea?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Although I've never used these T-Stat, with the standard ViewStat (AprilAire) I usually just use a standard 40-50va HVAC type transformer that's fed on clean UPS conditioned power.
    vining wrote: »
    Although I've never used these T-Stat, with the standard ViewStat (AprilAire) I usually just use a standard 40-50va HVAC type transformer that's fed on clean UPS conditioned power.

I run the Aprilaire 8870s on 15 volts DC. They are extremely stable that way and never lock up.