Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

IS-SPX-1000

Hi All,

Does anyone know what are the video formats playable on the IS-SPX-1000?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Options
    CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    "Supports Wide Variety of Graphic Types - The design aspect of the software tool allows use of content already developed such as JPEG, PNG, GIF, and SVG for still image format and MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, WMV 9 for SD motion video as well as importation of PowerPoint presentations"

http://amx.com/products/IS-SPX-1000.asp
  • Options
    Thanks Chris,

I have been looking for the list of formats, resolutions and frame rates accepatable for the software. I was trying to import video files with high resolution and the software couldn't accept it.

It would be helpful to have the list and do you have any recommendation on which software would be good to resize and convert video files?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Dave_UKDave_UK Posts: 54
    Information in this area appears to be a bit lacking. However the operations reference manual states:
    "Up to SD resolution: MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, H.264, MJPEG, Microsoft VC-1 (Windows Media Video 9)"

which suggests that you aren't going to have much success with 'high resolution' video formats. It also states:

"If your IS-SPX-1000 is not successfully importing an SD video of the supported
    file type, it was likely created with an unsupported codec or the file size is too large. If this is the case, try to
    convert the video to a supported codec, using one of the many available tools for video conversion. The best
    target format is the MPEG4 codec in the mov or avi file format."

The programming guide would suggest 720p @ 10fps or SD @ 30fps as that appears to be what the PowerPoint import process uses.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave,

I agree with you. The video I was importing was too large, certainly there should be limitation for which resolution on which frame rates.

It would be great if the list was provided as guidelines and would be much better if it supports HD.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    I'd imagine that the low 2W power consumption will limit what it can do. The manual recommending MPEG-4 would suggest that there is perhaps some hardware support for h.264 video acceleration though.

Have you had any success with live streaming video ? It's suppossed to support SD video in WMV format via RTSP/MMS/HTTP, however I didn't have much luck with the demo. Just sits there buffering.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

I haven't try the streaming feature. Am I missing out the details or the manuals don't say anything about it?

Do you have any information on doing the streaming? I would like to give it a try.

Thanks.
  • Options
    "Supports Live Video - Live video streams can be played allowing for a live video multicasts of content from a network video source such as AMX's Vision² in Standard Definition"

"Streaming media protocol: MMS, RTSP, RTP, SDP, HTTP; Uni- & multicast"

A couple of the AMX sample projects I downloaded ( ISX_Retail_Advanced ), included an example of a streaming video source. Looks like AMX have updated the sample projects since then though to match the AMX University ones at:
    http://www.thinkinspiredsignage.com/products/inspiredXpress.aspx

Unfortunately my evaluation period has expired, so a bit late for me to try these new samples out.

Dave

PS The ISX_Retail_Advanced demo just had a .asx metafile dragged into the project containing an entry to the following stream:
    mms://stream1.france24.yacast.net/f24_livefr

(see attachment)
  • Options
    PanemPanem Posts: 10
    Has anyone tried this streaming to the IS-SPX-1000? It doesn't work to me :/
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Panem wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this streaming to the IS-SPX-1000? It doesn't work to me :/
    Any suggestions?

Didn't work for me either, even though I could playback the demo stream in Windows Media Player.

Dave
  • Options
    PanemPanem Posts: 10
    Any ideas for streaming in SPX-1000?? Other channel streaming web links? Could anyone provide a template with streaming?..There are many template projects but none with streaming. Does streaming work finally? If so... what do we miss?
  • Options
    PyroGuyPyroGuy Posts: 121
    I was asking the same question about video a while ago - check it out here...

http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?7599-How-about-an-Inspired-Signage-thread

There might be a bit more info but I agree that some of this info seems to be well hidden. I'm starting to do more with IS-SPX but having some challenges with the "simple, intuitive software interface"! Maybe it's just me!
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    PyroGuy wrote: »
    [...] having some challenges with the "simple, intuitive software interface"! Maybe it's just me!

No, it's horrible. It's one of the least intuitive applications that I work with on a regular basis.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Auser wrote: »
    No, it's horrible. It's one of the least intuitive applications that I work with on a regular basis.

I have to agree. Once you know what's going on, it's relatively simple to use, but intuitive, no. I couldn't make heads or tails of it until I watched all the training videos.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    Once you know what's going on, it's relatively simple to use, but intuitive, no. I couldn't make heads or tails of it until I watched all the training videos.

This is an issue. Many of the customers who we would otherwise sell this flavour of signage to have a staff member who does lots of things and just happens to look after digital signage as one of their jobs.

Because they only spend time working with the product on occasion, the increased uptake time and retention of knowledge required to use the product really hampers its usability.

In many cases I don't feel confident that the ISXpress solution is a good option for the client due to the lack of intuitiveness in its authoring/publishing software. Obviously S****tix falls into the same category.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I investigated it because we want to get into the signage business, but we won't be doing the content production ourselves. In fact, the intent is that our web designer will be doing it (who is not an employee, but an independent web designer). So it's likely, just because of this issue, that we will use the ReQuest Harmony signage instead. I don't think it's near as powerful or capable, but it's all web-based. Personally, I'd rather have a dedicated program, but then again, I also like to write code. However my boss feels a web guy is more likely to be able to pick up managing a web-based media production system than a dedicated program that is so oddly set up.
  • Options
    Check out the classroom training sessions

AMX has a 2-day classroom training session (new for 2011) that will guide you through the IS Xpress content management software. There is a session scheduled for March in the Chicago training center and other AMX training locations throughout the year.

My own experience is similar to others...very easy to use once you get the hang of it.