Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

MVP-9000i

Just got in 2 of these MVP-9000i's and first impression out of the box are that they are built very solid. If I were to compare them to cars the 9000i would be a Range Rover while the 8400 is more like a Ford Bronco. Although I like the rugged, solid feel of this device it is freakin heavy. I'd say it's close to the weight of my 17" MAC Pro Laptop and after handling iPads all week there is quite a contrast in weight and feel. For the most part I think this puppy needs to stay parked and only on occassion taken out for a short drive around the house.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    So far I'm unable to connect via USB to xfer my TP file and I don't know if it's an issue with the TP, TPD4 since it's a new version or just the USB LAN. I was going to check NS3 but by then the panel had locked up. The TP default USB IP is 172.16.0.2 and only the last octet is configurable on a 255.255.0.0 net mask. I set up my USB LAN on .10 with the same mask an so far I can't connect. I'm not usre why the 3rd octet on the netmask is 0 instead of 255 but that can't be changed in the TP so I have to match it.

The panel also locked up while in the set up pages for network/usb so while searching for the proper procedure for rebooting the panel I found it has a physical reset button that you can press using the stylus. About freakin time! 6 seconds for set up, 9 seconds for shut down. I would have preferred a hard reboot using this button and leave the soft reboot using the regular buttons. Holding the bottlom left button and the bottom transport button also works for setup, calibrate and shut down although I didn't see it documented. Having this new reset button did save me from having to open up the panel and pulling the batteries so for that I'm grateful.

Sometimes the hard capacitive buttons work and sometimes they don't but maybe it's just my fingers since I still test 120/240v circuits/panels with them and often I have to press really hard just to get a tingle.

I also noticed that when I go to set up and press the back/exit button in the top left I'll return to the main demo page but if I press the upper left corner again (no visible button) I'll go back to the set up page. This might be just the way the demo is set up.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    vining wrote: »
    ...I still test 120/240v circuits/panels with them and often I have to press really hard just to get a tingle.
    :eek:

Any reports on their real world wireless performance (aquisition times, signal strength etc)?
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    :eek:

Any reports on their real world wireless performance (aquisition times, signal strength etc)?
    Haven't gotten to any of that yet. Right now I just did a quick setup on on my wireless network and connected it to the customers master through a VPN.

The intercom station calling and monitoring works well through the VPN but I only tried that cuz I had to fix the intercom code. I can now answer their door from my office or page/monitor any room. I might have to set one of these up in their Manhattan townhouse and maybe his Park Avenue office so they can do the same and keep an eye on their Conn. week end house themselves.

I still haven't been able to connect via USB for TPD4 file transfer. I normally don't ever use USB anyway so it doesn't really matter and I only tried it because I was being lazy.
  • Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Hm...that heavy? What about battery life?

5200's have quite poor reception compared to iPads. We have one customer who recently switched out and where he could barely and not usually get signal in one important room, the iPad works great and has no noticable difference in latency compared to using it elsewhere.

I don't know if I'll ever touch one of these things, but I hope they work better with wireless than the 5200s do.
  • Options
    true wrote: »
    What about battery life?
    I put the 9000s to sleep and boxed in up around 7:30 am to bring to its new home but never made it there. When I got back to the shop I took it out and woke it up and at first it didn't boot up so I tried to wake it again and this time it worked. The battery warning popped up and my main page battery bargraph had no indication of charge. I plugged it in an I then showed an 1/8" of charge on a 6" bar graph.

So 10 hours with out use while sleeping = almost dead and unusable. I think I could go about 3 days or so with an iPad that's been put to sleep.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Check the specs true, I think it comes in around 3.5 pounds? Maybe a little less.

Vining, do you wake them up by pressing a button like a 5200 or the screen like an 8400?
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    Check the specs true, I think it comes in around 3.5 pounds? Maybe a little less.

Vining, do you wake them up by pressing a button like a 5200 or the screen like an 8400?
    I put it to sleep by pressing the bottom left (of the 4) and bottom transport pad just as I would an 8400. To wake up I just touch the screen but touching the transport pad also works. Touching any of the 4 buttons doesn't. This may not be considered sleeping per sei but just turning off the screen. True sleeping may be only a achievable through code.

There's a shut down button next to the reboot button on the main setup page but it doesn't appear to do anything. Maybe it needs to be docked? If you hold the bottom left (four button) and the bottom transport pad you can turn off the screen, continue to hold then go to setup, continue holding longer go to calibrate and supposedly if you hold longer it shuts down. If I do that and continue holding it prematurely exits at the setup or calibrate step and I've never been able to go all the way to shutdown. I didn't see this documented either so it probably left over from the 8400. The books says to use the physical reset button using the stylus to do this.

If you send the SHUTDOWN command via code it appears to reboot??
    Syntax:
    "'SHUTDOWN'"
    Example:
    SEND COMMAND Panel,"'SHUTDOWN'"
    Shuts-down the batteries feeding power to the panel. This function saves the battery from
    discharging.

Turns off and then back on so this is probably a glitch in the firmware.

SLEEP:
    Syntax:
    "'SLEEP'"
    Example:
    SEND COMMAND Panel,"'SLEEP'"
    Forces the panel into screen saver mode.

This acts the same as pushing the 2 buttons simultaneously so I guess that is considered "SLEEPING".
    The MVP-9000i operates on four distinct power modes:
    On - This is the normal power mode of the panel during operation. In this mode, all necessary
    modules are powered up and their respective clocks are being driven appropriately. The device
    remains online with the NetLinx Master and continues to appear in the online tree of NetLinx
    Studio.
    Sleep - This mode of operation can be selected through the Setup Pages and only controls the
    backlight. In this case, the unit remains on all the time, and only the backlight will be turned off
    after the user-selectable time of inactivity has elapsed. The device remains online with the NetLinx
    Master and continues to be shown in the online tree of NetLinx Studio. The unit shall transfer to the
    Awake mode after it detects a touch on the touchscreen or capacitive touch buttons. This mode uses
    80 percent of the power required for the Awake mode.
    Standby - In this mode, power to all components other than the touch screen is turned off after the
    user selectable time of inactivity has elapsed. Device will turn back on by touching the screen. Reacquiring
    a WAP connection may require up to 25 seconds.
    Shutdown - The system enters this mode after a user selectable amount of inactivity time has
    elapsed or if the battery level falls below10 percent of its full charge. This is the absolute lowest
    mode of operation, during which power to all peripherals and components is turned off. It is not
    online with the NetLinx Master and will not appear in NetLinx Studio. The system remains in this
    mode until it is rebooted. In the latter case, the panel has to be placed in a Table Docking Station in
    order for it to be operational.

Power Modes for the MVP-9000i
    Mode Power Use Time Available (With Full Battery Charge)
    On 100% 5 hours
    Sleep 50% 10 hours
    Standby 15% 72 hours
    Shutdown Less than 1% Up to one month

The "standby" function doesn't appear to work since it doesn't allow me to set the time period while the "sleep" & "shutdown" timers do. These timers can be disabled on external power.

Ok the stanby timer only works if you first set the sleep timer to something other than "off".
  • Options
    ImpaqtImpaqt Posts: 155
    Just got my first 9000i.

ALso cannot connect to TPD4 via USB. Seems to want a new driver, but cant find it anywhere.

SPec says 3.6lbs. Its every bit of it.... This makes using the panel while holding it almost impossible. Not a One hand ohold the panel one hand to hit buttons deal.... More of a Have it in my lap or up on the kickstand on the end table...
  • Options
    + 1 for not being able to connect via USB.

I had the panel lock up in the midst of a page transition, once. The screen froze for a minute, then went dark. I had to use the reset button (which is indeed a welcome alternative to pulling the batteries) to get it back again.

I also couldn't get into the setup menu from the front buttons once (after doing it once before) until I reset the panel.

About par for the course with a new product, I suppose.
  • Options
    Have any of you guys with the 9000's noticed the images (btns, text, etc) appear somewhat blurry, more so in the center than toward the edges. This seems to be the case on the two I have.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I thought it was just me, but yes - I've noticed that they are a bit blurry. The colors though do seem a bit more vibrant, IMHO.
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    I thought it was just me, but yes - I've noticed that they are a bit blurry. The colors though do seem a bit more vibrant, IMHO.
    Yeah, side by side to a MVP-8400i the pic is definitely brighter and much easy to view in a normally lighted room with a bit of sunlight coming in. Just seems a little fuzzy in the middle but does get a bit sharper towards the edges.
  • Options
    ... and +1 for the blurriness. It seems most noticeable for text, although even then it's not consistent across the whole screen (some areas seem sharper than others).
  • Options
    AMX_AMX_ Posts: 8
    ... And Why is this Device so Heavy?
    A tablet PC has also a ~ 9" Display, wireless, speakers, mikrophone and a good Batterie lifetime

For me, this weight is inexplicable!
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I have one to test now, and I am noticing issues with sounds being sent to the panel not playing. Interestingly I have some buttons with the sound hard coded in the panel file, and when pressed you can hear something but its very quiet and partly cutoff. The same sound triggered using the SOU command doesn't work at all.

I've noticed as well an annoying delay or insensitivity to the panel as well. I can touch a button and have my finger on it and still not activate the button. If I successfully activate the button there is a 200-300 ms delay before the button changes its state from off to on. Other panels don't do this running the same code/panel file. Anyone else noticed anything similar?
    Paul
  • Options
    Has anybody else had problems with the 9000i just locking up? We've had it happen three times - twice while it was in the dock at a client's site. We've had to walk them through getting it out of the dock, and rebooting it.
  • Options
    a_riot,

Do the system sounds work (default button hit/miss, audio test in setup pages)? If you are still having issues, could you post your pages, or a simplified page that shows your issue?

a_riot42 wrote: »
    I have one to test now, and I am noticing issues with sounds being sent to the panel not playing. Interestingly I have some buttons with the sound hard coded in the panel file, and when pressed you can hear something but its very quiet and partly cutoff. The same sound triggered using the SOU command doesn't work at all.

I've noticed as well an annoying delay or insensitivity to the panel as well. I can touch a button and have my finger on it and still not activate the button. If I successfully activate the button there is a 200-300 ms delay before the button changes its state from off to on. Other panels don't do this running the same code/panel file. Anyone else noticed anything similar?
    Paul
  • Options
    gravityhammer,

Can you describe the lockup? Did the panel stay online with the master? Was the ip addr (wireless and/or wired) accessible over telnet/ping? Did you just lose touch?

Has anybody else had problems with the 9000i just locking up? We've had it happen three times - twice while it was in the dock at a client's site. We've had to walk them through getting it out of the dock, and rebooting it.
  • Options
    It's nice they put a pin hole in the side to reboot but I guess that doesn't help much in the wall dock. I suggested several years ago they needed to have a pinhole reboot in the front of the 8400's but for some reason they don't listen to me. :)

Initially I had the 9000i lock up but they've seemed fairly stable lately. Knock on wood! There's got to be a firmware do soon that should correct some of the initial problems. At least I would hope so since it's been 4-5 months since they started shipping.

I wish there was something they could do about the resolution. The blurring screen just sucks but I guess thats what you get when you take the resolution of a 5200i and put it on screen that's more than double the size.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506

Well seeing as nobody from AMX has waded into this, yes we have seen this problem on each of the panels we have out in the field.

AMX has hotfix firmware available through tech support as below:
    Current Firmware Version: 2.52.68 - Hotfix
    Release Date: 12/21/2010
    Device ID: 0x157

Prerequisites:
    Master FW capable of hotswaping build 439 or later
    TPDesign4 3.0 build 634 or later.
    Intercom module v1.9 or later.
    SIP module 2.11 or later

Changes in this release
    -- Fix for lockup after touching screen during reboot
    -- Fix for occasional sluggishness and sometimes lockup
    -- Fix for failure to connect to Master (which can turn into a lockup)
  • Options
    If you are experiencing panel lockup or panel becoming sluggish, please contact tech support for a new hotfix available (v2.53.13). This should be used instead of the v2.52.68 hotfix.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    amxcjc wrote: »
    a_riot,

Do the system sounds work (default button hit/miss, audio test in setup pages)? If you are still having issues, could you post your pages, or a simplified page that shows your issue?

Yes the default sounds work, that's why I wrote that its sounds that are sent to the touch panel. I can't post any pages, but this seems to be the exact same issue the MVP-5200i's had when they first came out that was fixed in a subsequent firmware release.
    Paul
  • Options
    Paul,
    The reason I asked those questions is because I'm having a difficult time recreating the same environment that fails to play the sounds with the @SOU command. Maybe you can post the sound file that fails, or tell me something about it..file name, size, bitrate, wav/mp3, etc. I've tried several different wav/mp3s and they all seem to play with @SOU.

Thanks,
    Chris
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    Yes the default sounds work, that's why I wrote that its sounds that are sent to the touch panel. I can't post any pages, but this seems to be the exact same issue the MVP-5200i's had when they first came out that was fixed in a subsequent firmware release.
    Paul
  • Options
    Here's a good one. For some reason I can't find a current 9000i file, probably reverted to older version during a file sync between PCs. so I figured I'd just upload the file. I was at the job yesterday and startted the xfer from 1 9000i but that kept failing, I did reboot but didn't try afterwards, so I tried another 9000i which started the xfer and I went back to doing other stuff. I came back at the end of the day (4 hours or so later) and the xfer is still in progress, maybe 20%. I had to leave so I aborted.

When I got back to the office I connected the VPN and started the upload again, must have been around 6pm. This morning the damn thing is still chugging away and I guess I'm now around 85% complete. Now I can see a 1/2 hour or so to do a full file xfer and I often do file xfers through the VPN to remote clients and those downloaded files which are really an nternet upload at an asymetrical data rate (1.5-3 up / 8 -20 down) so if anything a TP file upload which is really an internet download should be faster, right? (edit, of course on the other side it's an internet upload so either xfer direction is relatively the same, up/down vs down/up so it's ISP dependent)

What the F! I don't want to pick on the 9000i's but they're dogs! When is the public firmware release?

Still chuggin' watch it fail right at the end..........
  • Options
    tic toc, tic toc,.... still chugging away but getting close.
  • Options
    vining,

I'm guessing you don't want to post the pages in question. Tell me more about the setup..

How large is the TPD file?
    How long does it take to send it to the panel when you are onsite?
    Does the panel connect to the master using wireless (security type) or wired? If wireless, do you have a dock that you could try wired?
    Do you have encryption enabled on the master?
    TPDesign and master versions?
    Can you replicate this behavior offsite using the same pages?
    How is the panel functioning when this transfer is in progress and taking a long time...button presses responsive, etc.

Thanks,
    Chris

Here's a good one. For some reason I can't find a current 9000i file, probably reverted to older version during a file sync between PCs. so I figured I'd just upload the file. I was at the job yesterday and startted the xfer from 1 9000i but that kept failing, I did reboot but didn't try afterwards, so I tried another 9000i which started the xfer and I went back to doing other stuff. I came back at the end of the day (4 hours or so later) and the xfer is still in progress, maybe 20%. I had to leave so I aborted.

When I got back to the office I connected the VPN and started the upload again, must have been around 6pm. This morning the damn thing is still chugging away and I guess I'm now around 85% complete. Now I can see a 1/2 hour or so to do a full file xfer and I often do file xfers through the VPN to remote clients and those downloaded files which are really an nternet upload at an asymetrical data rate (1.5-3 up / 8 -20 down) so if anything a TP file upload which is really an internet download should be faster, right? (edit, of course on the other side it's an internet upload so either xfer direction is relatively the same, up/down vs down/up so it's ISP dependent)

What the F! I don't want to pick on the 9000i's but they're dogs! When is the public firmware release?

Still chuggin' watch it fail right at the end..........
  • Options
    amxcjc wrote: »
    vining,

I'm guessing you don't want to post the pages in question. Tell me more about the setup..

How large is the TPD file?
    How long does it take to send it to the panel when you are onsite?
    Does the panel connect to the master using wireless (security type) or wired? If wireless, do you have a dock that you could try wired?
    Do you have encryption enabled on the master?
    TPDesign and master versions?
    Can you replicate this behavior offsite using the same pages?
    How is the panel functioning when this transfer is in progress and taking a long time...button presses responsive, etc.

Thanks,
    Chris
    What pages in question? This all started cuz I misplaced or overwrote my current file with an older version probalby because of a file sync between PCs. On a PC with the older version I probably opened it and saved it changing the timestamp which trumped the current version. Just one of those dumb things that I occasionaly do.

File size = 41 megs

Normal download time = I would say 30 minutes full clean xfer but can't say for sure.

Ethernet connection = wired, I VNC'd into last night using it's wired IP so definitely wired. The 9000i that I couldn't rx from was wi-fi only.

Encryption = no

TPD4 = v3.0.0 build 634 border version 9 w/ support file version 3.0.24
    NS3 = Build 3.1.0.374, compiler build 2.5.2.20

Replicate = ? I'm uploading, trying to get the files from the TP.

Function during xfer = ? I'm afraid to vnc into it while the xfer is still in progress. Yes it's still in progress but the top progress bar is 100% while the 2nd progress bar is still going so I'm getting close to being done.

This should teach me to loose or overwrite my current file.

Just to reiterate I'm presently uploading through a vpn from a remote site. Yesterday when onsite I tried but only got around 20% xferred by time I had to leave. That took about 4 hours. I should have rebooted at that point before leaving or rebooted via telnet before attempting this from the office but that gets back to being dumb which is what got me here in the first place.

Still chugging............
  • Options
    vining,

I'm trying to boil it down to something I can reproduce here and help you. It sounds like when you were onsite, you trying to retrieve your project from the panel. 20% progress after 4 hours as you mentioned...that's what I am trying to look into...not VPN and ISP performance.

The pages in question would be the TPD file (or some very close version of the file, that have similar size, file count, etc) that you are trying to retrieve. If you could send me that, it would be helpful. If you don't want to post on here, maybe you can use something like www.filedropper.com and PM me the link.

As far as replicating the issue...if you have access to an MVP9000 locally...at your office lets say...can you replicate the slow file retrieval you see using the same TPD project.

Thanks,
    Chris
    What pages in question? This all started cuz I misplaced or overwrote my current file with an older version probalby because of a file sync between PCs. On a PC with the older version I probably opened it and saved it changing the timestamp which trumped the current version. Just one of those dumb things that I occasionaly do.

File size = 41 megs

Normal download time = I would say 30 minutes full clean xfer but can't say for sure.

Ethernet connection = wired, I VNC'd into last night using it's wired IP so definitely wired. The 9000i that I couldn't rx from was wi-fi only.

Encryption = no

TPD4 = v3.0.0 build 634 border version 9 w/ support file version 3.0.24
    NS3 = Build 3.1.0.374, compiler build 2.5.2.20

Replicate = ? I'm uploading, trying to get the files from the TP.

Function during xfer = ? I'm afraid to vnc into it while the xfer is still in progress. Yes it's still in progress but the top progress bar is 100% while the 2nd progress bar is still going so I'm getting close to being done.

This should teach me to loose or overwrite my current file.

Just to reiterate I'm presently uploading through a vpn from a remote site. Yesterday when onsite I tried but only got around 20% xferred by time I had to leave. That took about 4 hours. I should have rebooted at that point before leaving or rebooted via telnet before attempting this from the office but that gets back to being dumb which is what got me here in the first place.

Still chugging............
  • Options
    The files were originally 5200i coverted to 9000i's with minor changes. If you really want the file I'll send it but I don't think it's problem with the file but I do understand the desire to have all things as near the same as possible. These panels were always a little quirky from day 1 and I think I posted about those quirks back then. Maybe this thread?

I found the back up files. Completely forgot TPD4 creates duplicates in a different directory. Don't think I ever needed it before, thank god for small miracles!

My VPN has since dropped so it may be some quirky network problem in the residence that was making the local transfer incredably slow and the subsequent VPN xfer slow and now why I can't re-connect. I have to go back there tomorrow, maybe set up some auto ping reboots so I don't get locked out again and give it a try locally again. If I figure anything out I'll let you know. If you still want my file I'll send it but I don't think it will do you much good.
  • Options
    I arrived at the job this morning and rebooted the 9000i. I just did a file upload from the panel and it took around 5 minutes.

I din't do anything to the network accept enable the gateway/gateway vpn. Apprently I disabled it yesterday thinking I was setting the office'a router when in fact it was the client's. I guess dumb moves come in 3's.