Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

HR/H24 Audio outputting faster than video?

I am having an issue with several H24s and their analog audio. It seems that the analog audio supercedes the video by almost 200ms. I don't see a way to delay the audio in the sat receivers. I'm running analog audio directly into my autopatch half-y, so I don't have any audio delay options. Is there a box that anyone knows of that can delay audio that small amount? Hopefully something the size of a balun? Thanks.

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    I'm not saying it's not just as you describe, but be sure this isn't a transitory issue you hard-fix into a new problem. I've seen my own DTV box get funky with audio mistiming, and it cured with a reboot several times. Also some broadcasts are at fault, be sure all channels have the same issue before looking for a cure.
  • Confirmed.

yes, I have confirmed that this happens on all channels - broadcasts with analog, digital, HD channels, everything. I've rebooted the boxes already, but no cure. I will try to force a firmware update to see what happens.
  • No help...

Forced a firmware update, but the video delay still exists. HD channels, SD channels, everything.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Are you comparing analog audio to the digital audio out the HDMI port? If so, it could be a delay in the digital audio out through your TV or receiver, making the analog audio seem early.

If the problem is consistent, there are analog digital delays out there. Most I can think of are rack mount though as they are pro-market products. The only smaller device that comes to mind is from Radio Design Labs.

http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=227
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The thing that stops me is that these same receivers playing the same channels are working OK all over the country without the same problem. That's not rational, and for you to try to fix it with add on hardware just feels wrong.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    What TVs and/or video processors are you using? Are you sending video to the TVs via HDMI or Component?

I have a feeling the issue is a video processing delay and not the Directv boxes.
  • TVs used...

The first TV that is a problem is a new Sharp LED TV. HDMI running direct from the HR24 to the TV, and the audio/video from the HDMI tracks perfectly. Optical out from the HR21 direct to a Denon AVR-3803 is ahead of the video by 200ms. Adjusting the Denon Audio Delay settings has brought this back into alignment. The second TV is another new Sharp LED TV. Component Video from a different box (H24) running through a Component Video Matrix (4 in, 2 Out), and then to the TV. Analog audio runs directly to a Rotel multi-channel amp with VCs. Audio also ahead of the video by 200ms. The third TV is an older LG plasma, with Component Video running through the same video switch and then to the TV. Audio is also through the Rotel multi-channel amp. There is also a theater with another HR21 connected HDMI (only) directly to an Integra Receiver, and then HDMI out to the Runco projector. Audio is in sync with the video in this area. I will try to bypass the component video switch for the other two TVs, but I don't know that I have ever seen this switcher delay the video. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    Issue resolved...

Well, the problem seems to have fixed itself! After another week of dealing with the audio delays, the boxes seem to no longer exhibit the problem. It sucks, because I have no idea how/why it happened, which means I have no way of knowing if it will return, or happen with other clients! Oh well, I guess I'll just be happy that it's gone!
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vegastech wrote: »
    Well, the problem seems to have fixed itself! After another week of dealing with the audio delays, the boxes seem to no longer exhibit the problem. It sucks, because I have no idea how/why it happened, which means I have no way of knowing if it will return, or happen with other clients! Oh well, I guess I'll just be happy that it's gone!

Which is why John gave the advice he did ... if you wound up installing a lip-sync box of some sort, you would have made a new problem once it resolved itself. And I really hate to mention how many times I have had an oddball issue like this crop up, and go away by itself, leaving me very nervous about when it might re-appear. It's a good call that if no one else is having the same problem with the same equipment that it's something either something peculiar to your setup, or a hardware failure. I think if it were me, I'd get that box replaced.
  • vegastechvegastech Posts: 369
    All 3. :)