Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

Lutron over IP

I have been trying to get a lutron P5 system to work over IP. I have had it working when we first installed it, then it stopped working randomly. It is sending messages to the virtual device which I can see in the network tree. It sends the same message back though. Is there anything special I need to do in the program or Lutron side to get it to work.

Comments

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    bneal wrote: »
    I have been trying to get a lutron P5 system to work over IP. I have had it working when we first installed it, then it stopped working randomly. It is sending messages to the virtual device which I can see in the network tree. It sends the same message back though. Is there anything special I need to do in the program or Lutron side to get it to work.

From what I recall AMX requires a Lutron user to login. If the other Lutron user logs in it can only handle one user at a time so the AMX stops communicating. You have to log off the other user and relogin as the AMX user I believe. This can happen if the lighting dude logs in to make changes without letting anyone know.
    Paul
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Lutron used to tell you NOT to use their IP connection for integration control, to use the SERIAL port. This is because the LUTRON hardware IP port is specifically TELNET and does require login and session maintenance from the control side. It will periodically dump your connection on the telnet port, and that sounds like what you are getting.

The HWI documentation specifically included recommendation and full set up instructions for using a DIGI-ONE SP IP to Serial adapter ($130 at Amazon and a billion other places) if you wanted to integrate 24/7 control. It said to use the TELNET IP connector only for technician uses.

I don't know if they still do admit all this, but the IP port did not support a stateless IP connection last time we looked.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Lutron used to tell you NOT to use their IP connection for integration control, to use the SERIAL port. This is because the LUTRON hardware IP port is specifically TELNET and does require login and session maintenance from the control side. It will periodically dump your connection on the telnet port, and that sounds like what you are getting.

The HWI documentation specifically included recommendation and full set up instructions for using a DIGI-ONE SP IP to Serial adapter ($130 at Amazon and a billion other places) if you wanted to integrate 24/7 control. It said to use the TELNET IP connector only for technician uses.

I don't know if they still do admit all this, but the IP port did not support a stateless IP connection last time we looked.
    Hmmm, I've been using IP for years and never noticed any issues. My code does re-connect if dropped but I haven't even noticed any drops in my daily logs. I have to check now and see if I actually do log it connects and re-connects and see how often if ever this actually happens.

It might be polling is required to maintain the connection at least at 30 second or 3 minutes intervals(?). Maybe that's something else that uses telnet.
  • Options
    nielsynielsy Posts: 32
    We also work a lot with lutron and always communication AMX <> Lutron with IP.
    Also no problems, if there is no connection it re-connect, but also no issues with that.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I believe the advisement to use RS-232 over IP is old. I haven't used anything but IP in several years, and have had very little difficulty with it; not since they added the section to give IP control connections their own login. The key is that your code has to automatically re-connect if it drops for any reason. However, the only reason I ever see the connection drop is when I am loading a new program to the Lutron.