Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Comcast removes Numeric Power On from Cisco Cable boxes

[rant]
So, Comcast in our area sent out a firmware update to our 100s of clients that took out the only method we have for discrete power on which is a setting that allows the box to power on if a numeric is sent. Prior to this we managed the power of their cable boxes in code. Now all we have is power toggle. Not only is this a major pain in that our clients now have to manually power on/off the box (which most of them don't seem to know how or when to do) but it hopelessly broke a whole bunch of our systems since we used the power toggle to power the unit down. The system off command was simply toggling the box on and off every other time.

I just wonder what in the world the engineers/programmers were thinking. Secondly, why the flip can they not give us a stupid discrete power on/off?????

So, Comcast just got on the same list as DirecTV with me.

[/rant]

Comments

• Options
    rfletcherrfletcher Posts: 217
    ericmedley wrote: »
    [rant]
    So, Comcast in our area sent out a firmware update to our 100s of clients that took out the only method we have for discrete power on which is a setting that allows the box to power on if a numeric is sent. Prior to this we managed the power of their cable boxes in code. Now all we have is power toggle. Not only is this a major pain in that our clients now have to manually power on/off the box (which most of them don't seem to know how or when to do) but it hopelessly broke a whole bunch of our systems since we used the power toggle to power the unit down. The system off command was simply toggling the box on and off every other time.

I just wonder what in the world the engineers/programmers were thinking. Secondly, why the flip can they not give us a stupid discrete power on/off?????

So, Comcast just got on the same list as DirecTV with me.

[/rant]

Ouch, always so much fun when another vendor breaks your system. I feel your pain. Both Polycom and Tandberg/Cisco have done that to me in the last year with API changes, though at least I could fix those without having to buy hardware...

Of course they both were even more of a pain than they had to be since a few clients loaded the new software to all of their endpoints without any testing first, and didn't tell us that the problems started after they did an update, but crazy customers are another rant all together. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    It's worse here. They made channel 0 go to on demand as well as channel 1.

We were using channel 0 as on and 0, power as off. So we had a fun week a month ago. If they got them on, everytime another room selected the same box it went to on-demand.

Fun stuff.. They moved to the motorola software, which ditched the discrete and native output the others had.

Kevin D.