Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

DP or HDMI ?

I was wondering what way your clients seem to be going when it comes to Display port(DP) or HDMI? We have been putting a lot of thought into it lately and would like to see what the trend is.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I was wondering what way your clients seem to be going when it comes to Display port(DP) or HDMI? We have been putting a lot of thought into it lately and would like to see what the trend is.

HDMI with us as a lot of our clients are either Comcast or DirecTV and read all the literature and drink the Koolaid on it. So, they don't like to hear about alternatives.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    DP is probably going to replace DVI and VGA for computer monitors, and live along side HDMI for consumer AV.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

*NOT a seating chart for the President's Press Conference Dinner, this is the Southerly view of a Northbound DP.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    This seems to be the trend that I am seeing that the consumers will go the HDMI way and the computer world will go DP. Awww the days when it was only VGA.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm still listening to everyone cry over how their component connections aren't good enough anymore, but they don't want to spend the money to upgrade ... or how they just dropped a ton of money on a new TV that only has HDMI, and no way they are doing it again so soon. If it catches on in the resi market, it won't be right away. Especially in this economy, it's just too much to ask to switch standards entirely so soon after the last.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I totally hear what your saying Dave. I myself have some issues with the HDMI format and some of the background stuff related to it. I think the DP/HDMI will turn out like beta vs VHS. The winner wasn't the best format but it still won.
  • Options
    tracktoystracktoys Posts: 46
    Unfortunately for the educational side of the market, HDMI is currently necessary and hopefully only a temporary solution. DP++ is by far a better solution all the way around for it's ability to be backward compatible with DVI, VGA and HDMI, as well as what I hope to be the real future, Thunderbolt.

Top four reasons I can see DP++/TB taking over the world:
    1) Just released a mini DP connector in the last revision of the standard to support the explosion of mobile devices
    2) Support for multiple displays in daisychain configurations (HDMI is point to point)
    3) natively supports fiber medium without expensive extenders
    4) NO LICENSING FEES to manufacturers